2001 Polaris Trail Boss 325 no top end - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

2001 Polaris Trail Boss 325 no top end

So I’ve been trying to figure this thing out and I think have it down to clutches or transmission.
I’ve done new carb, spark plug, air filter, new fuel lines, new fuel pump, new fuel shut off, cleaned fuel tank, cleaned screens in bottom of fuel tank, new drive belt, adjusted throttle cable play.

So it starts up perfect and idles perfect and once give it throttle in Forward gear at about 1/2 throttle it Boggs and sputters??? Today I had clutch cover off and inspected clutches. Started to watch and as it’s in Neutral, it will rev to full throttle, but not in gear?? Sound like either spring or buttons in the secondary clutch bad???
Any help will be much appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Why a new carb? Did you get a new OEM carb or the cheap Chinese knock off? Too often here we see that someone got the cheap carb and can't make it work with the machine. "fits" your machine doesn't always mean it will work properly with your machine. IMO you are always much better off to rebuild the original carb if you can.

You are going to want to check the new carb inside against the original. Compare the jet sizes and the size and style of the main jet needle. Your secondary clutch can make a difference too. If the buttons inside get worn out then you will have metal on metal inside which will not let the clutch "shift" right.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Yes the carb is a knock off. Was not going to spend over $130 just for a diaphragm for the original carb. So went onto to Polaris parts house and got part number for carb and search the web and found a whole carb for $80.

Just baffles me how can rev up to full throttle in neutral, but yet put in forward gear and runs perfect and sputters at 1/2 throttle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode