Using radio to keep in contact on trail - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Using radio to keep in contact on trail

One of the problems when riding in a group which is most to all the time is staying in contact with each other. This is more so when the group gets split up or someone makes a wrong turn and get lost or has an accident.

We have tried several types of radio or walky-talky. Most of our riding is in CO and UT, some AZ. In this country the CB is useless and the Family radio is much the same. Put a few trees or mound of dirt between you and others and no contact.

We have found one great radio system; that is the line of BaoFeng radios. These radios are quite cheap (reasonably priced) and do a great job. Everyone in the group carries one. We have used them in UT's Sand Rafael Swell area and talked back to the women in the MH's from 17 and 24 miles. This distance was measured by the use of GPS. This country is very mountainous, to say the least.

We all have the BaoFeng UV-82HP High Power Dual Band units. You can monitor 2 channels at the same time. They do have/use the family channels but you are required to use low watt power. WE USE THE HAM CHANNELS. The ham channels are 8 watts. BECAUSE THEY ARE HAM RADIOS YOU SHOULD HAVE A HAM LICENSE. If you wish to get a license it is very cheap to get and you no longer need to know morse code. it is a simple test and given by many Ham clubs in most towns and cities.

The radios measure 5 1/4 x 2 1/4 x 1 1/4 and weight 8 oz. I mostly carry mine in a shoulder holster with an added hand mike. They easily fit in a shirt pocket.

We have been using the UV-82HP model. Ours are generation 2 and now they have a generation 3. Price is still about the same; less than $63.00 each & comes with one battery that will last more than 2 days; on about 12 hours. We mostly charge them every day but will go more than 2 days on a single charge. There are days that we may not need to talk on them and that greatly increases the run time. We have about 12 riders each with one and none of the radios have yet to have a problem. They have been in use for at least 5 or 6 years.

Baofeng also makes a small unit that will mount in a UTV very much like a CB but is much smaller yet. They cost about $125 but have 3 times the output of 25 watts. Model is UV-25x2

https://baofengtech.com/baofeng-radio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2501.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	915.2 KB
ID:	119491   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2503.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	943.8 KB
ID:	119493   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2506.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	818.5 KB
ID:	119495   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2508.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	863.5 KB
ID:	119497   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2510.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	784.0 KB
ID:	119499  

bobx2 and Corbett1973 like this.

Last edited by PoPo3; 08-09-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info! I was just thinking radio communication on our trip last week. I wondered about walkie talkies but don't know how thew would work on the trails we usually ride.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:44 PM
ATV Enthusiast

We use chatterboxes on GMRS. Have been using them for years for snowmobiling. They get a mile or so, and are mounted on our helmets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:07 PM

As is mentioned, these radios broadcast and receive on ham radio frequencies that do require an amateur radio "technician" license at the minimum to operate. If there are radio repeaters in the area they are capable of communicating over great distances. Still, a license is required by the FCC. Standard "walkie talkies" do not reach as far but also don't require a license.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorro118 View Post
As is mentioned, these radios broadcast and receive on ham radio frequencies that do require an amateur radio "technician" license at the minimum to operate. If there are radio repeaters in the area they are capable of communicating over great distances. Still, a license is required by the FCC. Standard "walkie talkies" do not reach as far but also don't require a license.

Thank you for the clarification....it helps those of us that are not familiar with the radio world. I figured they were talking ham radio but was going to ask for clarification.

I don't think I/we are ready to go into ham radio for communications. Are there other options that can work? Most of our trail riding has been in Wisconsin with some in Michigan. We did go Hatfield/Mccoy trails this spring so I could see a different need in the mountains.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin

Last edited by stave7119; 08-10-2019 at 05:24 AM.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:49 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

rainmanx is this similar to what your using?
This one says good only to 100 yds. The hands free helmet mount is what I like.
https://www.fc-moto.de/en/Oxford-Cha...-Bluetooth-Kit
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorro118 View Post

We tried some of the best family radios advertised. They claimed up to 35-mile range. In most cases, we were lucky to get 1 mile. To us, safety comes first. If someone is lost or injured they need help now.

Before buying this brand of radio we researched them and several ham users in places like Georgia and Florida were claiming ranges of 50+ miles.

As far as the license the FCC is now making it easier to get one than a drivers license. The whole TEST is now posted on the internet for you to read before you try and get one. The test questions along with the answers are there for you to read along with an explanation of why the answer is the right one. The ham clubs are the ones that administer the test, not the FCC. You can take the test and if you fail you can take the test over again at the same time; In fact, I believe you can take it over the 3ed time all for the same price. And as I said before you no longer need to know morse code.
bobx2 likes this.

Last edited by PoPo3; 08-12-2019 at 10:36 PM.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:03 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprotsman View Post
rainmanx is this similar to what your using?
This one says good only to 100 yds. The hands free helmet mount is what I like.

This is like it..Ours our older and no longer available.

https://chatterboxusa.com/collection...nt=13756898755
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmanx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprotsman View Post
rainmanx is this similar to what you're using?
This one says good only to 100 yds. The hands-free helmet mount is what I like.

This is like it..Ours are older and no longer available.

https://chatterboxusa.com/collection...nt=13756898755

The two radios are very similar and yet very different. Chatterbox is more a toy geared to those that want all the bells and whistles and have the money to pay for them. The Baofeng is for business and survival.

Baofeng has a much better bat for longer use, but no great speakers, stereo or FM radio. From what I see there is no bell missing from the Chatterbox but the range. The Baofeng greatest advantage is the range. 50 miles to infinity using the repeater stations. Chatterbox is 1 maybe 2 miles and that is with everything in your favor. Baofeng is $65 to $75 depending on the unit. Chatterbox is $375 and up depending on the extra accessories you went and there are many.
The biggest advantage the Baofent has other than range is it also has the FRS and GMRS channels. YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE A LICENSE TO USE THE bAOFENG IF YOU USE THE FRS OR GMRS CHANNELS. The catch here is you MUST switch the radio to low power (1 watt). You do not need a license to own the radio only to use the HAM channels. The FRS and GMRS are not ham channels.

The Chatterbox uses the family channels (FRS-GMRS) so anyone with a cheap family radio can talk to them but this is true of the BaoFeng also. They can be on one family channel and one ham channel. The Baofeng can also scan multiple channels to see if anyone is there.

So you can get the Baofang for a quarter of the price with FEW bells and whistles but in an emergency be able to get out. Or pay top $$$ and pray you never have the need for range.

For us range is what matters. If we can not contact each other why spend the money and carry the bagage.

Last edited by PoPo3; 08-13-2019 at 07:07 AM.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:24 AM

I’ve also been disappointed in the “family radio” option. They are basically line of sight radio. It should be noted though that even the ham radios that are being discussed here are line of sight if there is not a ham radio repeater near by that it can hit. If you can hit a repeater the worlds the limit. It is also true that getting a basic ham license is pretty easy. They are also good for 10 years before needing renewal.

My work around is to ride with a buddy or, if I ride alone, not to go out further than I want to walk back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode