Polaris ATV Forum banner

4wd trouble

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  dheiss89 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Sportsman 400 with the 4wd not working, although it says it’s on on the speedometer cluster. I bought it that way a couple years ago from a guy who said his dog tore at the wires by the cluster years back, he replaced the harness but it still didn’t work and never got around to actually fixing it. I haven’t needed 4wd until now as I am looking to put a plow on this thing. I took apart the speedometer and everything looks and works ok there and even took off the front panel to look at wires under that and I followed all the wires and everything looks ok. I am finding no fuses anywhere.....it’s got pretty low hours and miles (1300) on it for being an 04....anything I should check that I haven’t described above? Maybe the previous guy hooked something up wrong?

#2 ·
How do you know it's not working?

First thing is always change the hub strut fluid. Assuming it's not a 2004.5 and you don't have the centralized Hillard.

#4 ·
if its an actual 2004 and not a 2004.5 you have to change or add hubstrut oil. the 2004 and older models had the front wheels locked at the hub. the 2004.5 and newer lock the fronts in the front diff.

#5 ·
Our company is currently in the final stages of the solution to all of your AWD issues. Our Polaris AWD Switch Bypass will provide power directly to the front diff and skip the "middle men" so to speak. So as long as there isn't any issue with the front diff, our product will get you into AWD. The switch provided in our kit also has a illuminated button that is on when the AWD is engaged. Keep an eye out on our website / social media for official release (link in my bio).

#6 ·
Explain to us how it operates. When our AWD switch is engaged the coil is getting 12vdc. To my knowledge the rest is mechanical. How would your "switch" bypass the mechanical aspect of the cage locking in the front diff?

#7 ·
I'm assuming the coil you are referring to is the magnet inside the front diff correct? So yes you are correct, if you are getting power to that coil/magnet then the rest of the process is all mechanical. So in that case our kit will unfortunately not be a viable solution. Our kit bypasses all of the electrical components that are between your AWD switch and your coil. There are a lot of people that flip their AWD switch and for one (or many) reasons their coil will never get 12vdc to engage the AWD. Our kit will bypass all of the electrical issues so that your coil will get 12vdc, every time, no matter what!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.