2w-50 oil alternative - Page 4 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

5W-50 is really close to 2W-50 too.

Sticking with the manual specs is a safe bet. Until yesterday I thought 0W-40 was what Polaris motor oil was so I put in the 5-40 Rotella since I have been using it for all the gas and diesel stuff we change oil in around the place. When I get some manual oil pressure gauge taps added to our oil lines I want to see if what the idle PSI is for 5W-50 and 20W-50. In theory hot both should be 50 weight oil but testing will tell the tale.

Is your 400HO engine oil pressure specs low and more like the 500HO? I think the 99 PSI max in the 325 engine is the reason the cooler lines fail so often. At 300F and up to 99 PSI is very demanding of rubber hoses. I am going to look at how hatzie plumbed his 500HO to add oil pressure gauge. I am thinking of picking up one or two of the HF $25 manual oil pressure test kits. I may plumb one into the 1983 John Deere 310B since it just has the light.

Engine Oil Pressure Test Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaleHawkins View Post
5W-50 is really close to 2W-50 too.

Sticking with the manual specs is a safe bet. Until yesterday I thought 0W-40 was what Polaris motor oil was so I put in the 5-40 Rotella since I have been using it for all the gas and diesel stuff we change oil in around the place. When I get some manual oil pressure gauge taps added to our oil lines I want to see if what the idle PSI is for 5W-50 and 20W-50. In theory hot both should be 50 weight oil but testing will tell the tale.

Is your 400HO engine oil pressure specs low and more like the 500HO? I think the 99 PSI max in the 325 engine is the reason the cooler lines fail so often. At 300F and up to 99 PSI is very demanding of rubber hoses. I am going to look at how hatzie plumbed his 500HO to add oil pressure gauge. I am thinking of picking up one or two of the HF $25 manual oil pressure test kits. I may plumb one into the 1983 John Deere 310B since it just has the light.

Engine Oil Pressure Test Kit
Just checked my service manual, oil pressure @5500 rpm is 20 psi, 12psi minimum.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Sweet_Tooth
I run Rotella Full Synthetic and it works great. Royal Purple is too expensive but I know hey are an excellent lubricant.

My Polaris Fleet:

2015 Polaris Ranger 900 XP Sandstone Metallic.
2012 Polaris RZR S 800 Liquid Silver LE (Wife's Ride)

ATVs
2018 Polaris Sportsman 450 & 570 (Sage Green)
2018 Can-Am Outlander 570 x2 (Red non-EPS and Orange EPS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

OK the 400/500HO's have the same oil pressure specs as in our 2002 Polaris shop manual.

One guy with a near by ATV/Harley shop said they are replacing the oil pumps with an after market pump when these engines loose the lobes off their cams due to this design weakness. I was told it was the exhaust valve lobe that stared for oil the worse but do not know enough to understand the logic behind that.

All I know from two ATV shops that do a lot of cam replacements is if you let these engines idle down to where oil PSI drops below 12 PSI that in time you WILL drop a lobe off your cam. For those having shops to fix these engines ask about the replacement oil pump options and removing the one way valve that can stick and reduce oil flow to the cam. For what I remember from a couple weeks ago the the one way valve is not needed with the new oil pump.

I am not finding any after market oil pump options for the 500 so I will ask the shop owner for more details the next time I see him.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode