Polaris ATV Forum banner

Hello all

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jordaman17 
#1 ·
Hello all im new to this forum and polaris for that matter, i just have one question. Im about to pull the trigger on a brand new 2012 sportsman 850 probably the browning edition and ive seen nothing but great things from them but alot of my friends have told me that the belt system isnt very good. I had a friend that took his 2010 500 HO through a creek and some way or another burned up with belt and had to spend 700 to fix it. So my question is should i worry about it or is it even a big deal at all? thanks for all the info

#2 ·
WELCOME!!

Well, they ain't perfect, but what is... but belt problems... really?? I haven't herd that one... Proper use of LO Range will extend the life of the CVT system immensely!

CW

#3 ·
$700?

A new belt will set you back around $60-$70. Then installation maybe another $100 at a dealer. Don't know where he spent $700.
I have been through a good deal of water this summer and never even got any water in the belt housing......... I check after each immersion.
My experience so far has been a positive one although I'm not crazy about the limited access to the grease zerks but that's a quibble. Also you should be aware that the Touring models (if that's what you are considering) are not suited to anything other than stock tire sizes. Also the is a lack of storage space behind the passenger seat when in two up but again...... a quibble.
One last thing that I foresee being a PITA is the belt change procedure. Damn near have to dismantle the fecking thing to get at it. If it happens anywhere other than in the garage it will be a real sob. I think I will replace the belt preemptively just to make sure it doesn't happen.
All in all I am pretty happy with the bike and don't have any regrets.

#4 ·
HA!

Keep in mind that the poster above has a touring model and not the regular 850 XP. So some of his issues (tires, storage, and hard to get at belt) are related specifically to the touring model.

That said, according to dirt tracks TV there's only one major ATV OEM NOT using a belt/cvt system. Polaris did it first and best. A CVT is NOT a car/truck/honda transmission and you should not treat it as such. Read your owners manual and follow the guidelines on what gear to use and you'll be fine.

It's a lot harder to do with the XPs but when I had a Magnum 330 I took the belt cover off and drove the machine in the yard to see how the clutches and belt worked. Once you realize how they operate it makes it much easier to understand the proper way to operate them.

Last note. Pop the seat off of the machine and you can see the belt intake on the left side right before the airbox along the frame. That's pretty high. So if your friend got water in his beltbox then he was in some deep or fast moving water!

#5 ·
well thanks for all the info guys! I dont know where he spent 700 put that sounded a little too high for a belt, but with all that being said, Polaris definatly has my vote hands down my buddies were tryin to get me convinced on a honda and dont get me wrong i love hondas put when it comes down to it id rather have an 850 polaris :)

#10 ·
Welcome to the forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.