Polaris ATV Forum banner

Master Service Tech

17K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  cowanr 
#1 ·
How does someone become a Polaris master service technician?

#4 · (Edited)
If it's the same as working as a Ford tech simply talk to the nearest service manager and offer to change oil for cheap.
Oil changers become technicians after taking online and onsite courses.
Helps if you have some type of technical knowledge already.
Pretty sure UTI has a motorcycle course,and they're sponsered by many manufacturer's.
All the major car manufacturers (and motorcycle) have factory sponsered technical training courses also.
Ford's is called the Asset program,and it's basically a 2 year technical degree in a Ford specific course.
Our Asset guy's also had to work at our dealership(sponser for student) for experience during time off school.
They graduate with a master tech status,but have to get more tenure for senior master tech.
I think for master tech you need 2-5yrs tenure,and senior master is a few more.
That's a recent change,used to have ASE requirements instead of tenure. But ASE is a bunch of crap so they killed it as a requirement.

I would go talk to the nearest dealership and ask for information. There is a factory course somewhere i'm sure,and whether the local guy wants/needs you doesn't matter.
In my experience though,I would tell you to simply take mechanical and technical classes such as a local votech course for auto and small engine.
Then go work anywhere you can for some experience.
After a couple years of that,just apply at a polaris dealership. They will train you in their factory stuff.
*One cool thing about this is they will pay you to do it versus you paying for a course. As a Ford factory tech I got paid for the time it took to take online course's (over 100 certifications :) 1-2hrs apeice ) plus for specialty certification we got paid hotel/$100 a day per diem to go to dallas/OKC etc.. for week long course's + we got paid for the 8hrs a day in class.
Also,I would tell you to lean VERY strongly in electrical education.
Most techs shy away from it,but you gotta know it first and well in todays vehicles.
Good luck!

#7 ·
Polaris 2000 425 (4 x 4) Xpedition...Is there anyone on here that knows how to remove the back axle from the black housing to replace the bearings ? The factory specs show a circle clip that needs to be removed but its inside the housing. We have tried everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.