Polaris reliability - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggun View Post
Thanks for the info guys. i hear that the 850 is a gas guzzler and when im hunting i dont have time to run into town to refill the jerrycans.
is it true that the 850 burns fuel like there is no tomorow?
I think it depends how you ride, but I've heard of people with 12 850's (bigger gas tank, 5.25 gallons) get 80 miles on one tank on the high side and 70 on the low side, I haven't gauged mine as I always top it off before hitting the trails and the trails I ride, at least so far, are short.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 PM
ATV Enthusiast

i rode mine to the mud park twice since iv had it and about 4-5 hours of mud riding and ive burnted just under half tank both times. 2011 850 xp 28 inch swamplites
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 01:24 AM

I was having the same problem trying to decide to get the 550 or the 850. The hardest thing is to be honest with yourself what you really intend to do with it. Several guys shared with me they loved the 850 but riding them hard and fast only got them around fifty miles to the tank. I ended up buying a 550 xp and added the warn 3000 winch and put on L.E.D. lights. I have made several trips to Wyoming hunting in the back country and fishing the high mountain lakes and have never had a problem. The 550 xp climbed those mountains like a mountain goat. Quads are no different than the person that likes chevy over ford. It's personal preference. The power steering is great. I heard some years back Polaris had a few problems and that's all anybody remembers. They fixed the problems but that's all the people remember. Theres a lot of good machines out there of all makes you just need to sit in the saddle and see which fits you best. If you were going to be pulling small trailers all the time with your quad then I would say get the 850 but if not the 550 will do it all with comfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggun View Post
Hey everyone, just wanting to know your opinion on the 2012 sportsman 550xp in orange madness colour, also do the 550 how enough power or should i go bigger? I watched a couple youtube videos about polaris atvs and all of the comments are saying that polaris suck but i beleive that all atvs have there ups and downs, but how reliable are polaris atvs?
YouTube is a cesspool of people who live to bash brand names, certain races of people, ideas, thoughts and anything else you could post. I'm willing to bet that most people doing the bashing don't even own machines.

If you look, you'll see people bashing Honda, Can Am, Arctic Cat, Yamaha, Kawasaki and any other manufacturer out there.

My advice is to think about what you want in an ATV, check out all your options, then head to the dealers and sit on these machines and have a good look! "Pissing Matches" over name brands are meaningless and childish.

If Polaris really sucked, they'd be out of business.

As far as power goes, I own an 850XP and it's too much power for my experience, but at the end of the day you don't have to run full throttle all the time. I'm certain a 550 is more than enough power. Consider this, most ATVs were only 200s and 250s back in the day and they did fine.

And finally, the "best" ATV is the one that's right for you.

Patrick

2011 Sportsman XP 850 EPS
Nicknamed "KATT" (Kickass All Terrain Toy)

Polaris Lock & Ride Front Storage Box
Polaris Lock & Ride Rear Storage Box
Polaris Deluxe Front Brush Guard
Polaris Deluxe Rear Brush Guard
Polaris Handle Bar Guards
Polaris Lock & Ride Back Rest
Polaris 3500lb Winch Kit
Polaris Winch Accessory Kit
Polaris Wireless Winch Remote
Polaris Trailerable ATV Cover
Polaris Hand Warmers
Polaris Thumb Warmer

GoPro HD Helmet Hero Camera

"I fire up the willing engine,
Responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel,
I commit my weekly crime..."
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Another way you could look at it. Right now, every atv dealership with- in a 100 mile radius from where I live is either already a polaris dealership, recently became a polaris dealership, or is working to become a polaris dealership. They are the best selling right now and that has to be for a reason other then their price (cause they are expensive).

2006 Sportsman 500 efi, Polaris 3500 Winch, uni Filter, Oary Grips,Maxxis Bighorns, 2" lift, Brush Guard, Bark Busters
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:17 AM
ATV Enthusiast

before mods, I was able to get over 100km on a tank. However this will depend on how hard you ride it. You dont buy something with power and expect to get good millage....the 2 just dont go together...if you want power, then expect gas to go faster...its pretty simple. If you are just putting around and hunting and basic play on the bike...get the 550 and stop worrying about small things like fuel.
My 850 is a pig on gas after doing all the mods to it....but its all worth it cause i can take it anywhere and not have to worry about getting stuck very offten....a jerry can is the least worry...lol

2009 850xp

K&N Air
Clutch Kit
Commander V Dynojet
3" Lift
29.5" Outlaw2's
108 ITP
Front & Rear Bumpers
2 UP seat
Gorrilla Axles
2500 lbs Winch
Hand Warmers
Ricochet Under Armor
HMF Swamp XL Series

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

The 550 is a beast. I have a X2 550 and it is reliable and tons of power. I can carry 2 full size men while climbing a mountain over logs with the bed fully loaded full of bags of corn. It never felt like it was even working. It's load and work capacity is the same as a 850 so that should tell you somthing.

2010 Polaris 550 X2
aka..RRV "ricer recovery vehicle"
Polaris/Vision Rims w/ Vision trailfinder tires
Polaris extreme front / rear bumpers
Polaris winch, Heated grips/ throttle
GPS, LED aux lighting,
Ricochet A-arm Armour

post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The 550 is a beast. I have a X2 550 and it is reliable and tons of power. I can carry 2 full size men while climbing a mountain over logs with the bed fully loaded full of bags of corn. It never felt like it was even working. It's load and work capacity is the same as a 850 so that should tell you somthing.

I have the 850X2 mostly cause I wanted the bigger engine. I've pretty much owned almost every brand out there at one time or another. But none as powerful as this. I don't mind throwing an extra can of fuel in the box. I hunt and do some trail riding but I also help guide at hunting camps. My outfitter boss runs mostly Honda. I liked the cargo box and the 2 up idea so I chose the Polaris. But I did look at all brands. This is my first and I'm pretty impressed so far. The real test will be bear camp this spring where there will be lots of mud. I'm putting 27 inch Zillas on so that shouldn't be a problem. One of the things that impress me about Polaris is that it makes a machine for just about every interest out there. My wonderful wife(recently passed away) would have been very happy on a Polaris in the 500-550 range. Although in retrospect I would have ended up on the 550 and she would end up riding my 850.

2011 850 X2, Warn 3000 RT Winch. Front steel rack extension. Winch saver. Lock and Ride Windshield. 27 inch Zilla Tires. Moose Front Bumper. Remote Booster Cables. Quadovator Reverse Overide Switch. Polaris Plow. Rear A Arm Guards.
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:49 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Very sorry to hear about your wife,WR.
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrider View Post
Very sorry to hear about your wife,WR.

Thanks man. Living by myself again after 36 wonderful years with only a little dog now to keep me company is really tough. My wife loved riding the quads. She used to ride a Grizzly with 27 inch vampires until recently. My friends were amazed how such a little woman could steer such a big machine.

2011 850 X2, Warn 3000 RT Winch. Front steel rack extension. Winch saver. Lock and Ride Windshield. 27 inch Zilla Tires. Moose Front Bumper. Remote Booster Cables. Quadovator Reverse Overide Switch. Polaris Plow. Rear A Arm Guards.

Last edited by mountie; 02-23-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode