Polaris ATV Forum banner

Cylinder back from shop

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  RENOBADBOY 
#1 ·
Swapping bottom ends out on an 03 pred 500. Using an 04 bottom end with my 03 top. Went ahead and took the cylinder/piston to the shop to check and see if its within specs to just throw a hone on and re ring since i didnt need a top end anyways. Heres what i got back.

Out of round .02-.03 But my max tolerance is .05 so im fine there.
Bore is 99.26mm and std bore is 99.2.
Taper is .03-.05 which .05 is max so im barely good to go there.

But heres the kicker. Cylinder to bore specs are .08 and max according to the manual is .065.

Its gonna cost me 400$ or so to have this cylinder repaired + new piston and rings since its a plated cylinder.

Or i can suck up the .015 and hone and just put a set of rings on. They said if i do that its gonna be on the loose side of things and may or may not last. This top end didnt smoke or anything though is what gets me...

Any thoughts? Re-ring and go? Or...

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. This is what im thinking. I understand its out of spec, but .015 is very little to worry too much over. A sheet of copy paper is .015. Installing new rings could potentially put me right back to max specs being my others were 9 years old. The plating looks good, and no scratches or gouging at all. Im thinking a quick deglaze and rings will hold up just fine. Besides, i only ride about 15 hours a year anyways. Next year ill do a complete new top end. Ive rebuilt alot of engines without ever having anything checked from the shop, that were smoking light freight trains and new rings and a hone fixed them up great. This engine ddint even smoke, but since i was in there i decided to have it all checked and put rings in it. Im probably just worrying too much. Thanks alot once again.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Go for it Ive built a few engines in my days and from 2 strokes to 4 strokes i bet you will be just fine your not building a precision race engine

#7 ·
My take? Put it together and ride it while saving up for a big bore kit! Common sence rules!!!! Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.