Cylinder back from shop - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Cylinder back from shop

Swapping bottom ends out on an 03 pred 500. Using an 04 bottom end with my 03 top. Went ahead and took the cylinder/piston to the shop to check and see if its within specs to just throw a hone on and re ring since i didnt need a top end anyways. Heres what i got back.

Out of round .02-.03 But my max tolerance is .05 so im fine there.
Bore is 99.26mm and std bore is 99.2.
Taper is .03-.05 which .05 is max so im barely good to go there.

But heres the kicker. Cylinder to bore specs are .08 and max according to the manual is .065.

Its gonna cost me 400$ or so to have this cylinder repaired + new piston and rings since its a plated cylinder.

Or i can suck up the .015 and hone and just put a set of rings on. They said if i do that its gonna be on the loose side of things and may or may not last. This top end didnt smoke or anything though is what gets me...

Any thoughts? Re-ring and go? Or...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I am fairly new to these particular engines but a long background in engines in general so you may or may not accept this. Considerring the measurements you stated, if it were mine, I would just light hone to break the glaze and use new rings and go for it.

Fred
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmartin_gila View Post
I am fairly new to these particular engines but a long background in engines in general so you may or may not accept this. Considerring the measurements you stated, if it were mine, I would just light hone to break the glaze and use new rings and go for it.

Fred
Thanks for the reply. This is what im thinking. I understand its out of spec, but .015 is very little to worry too much over. A sheet of copy paper is .015. Installing new rings could potentially put me right back to max specs being my others were 9 years old. The plating looks good, and no scratches or gouging at all. Im thinking a quick deglaze and rings will hold up just fine. Besides, i only ride about 15 hours a year anyways. Next year ill do a complete new top end. Ive rebuilt alot of engines without ever having anything checked from the shop, that were smoking light freight trains and new rings and a hone fixed them up great. This engine ddint even smoke, but since i was in there i decided to have it all checked and put rings in it. Im probably just worrying too much. Thanks alot once again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Why not Buy a Big Bore top End Kit????????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-PRED...4e288f&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Predator-500...ea7ef1&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-500-...436b4c&vxp=mtr

2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO TRG
1997 polaris xplorer 400
1977 yamaha it175
1988 QuadZilla (Lt500R)
1985 Bigwheel (BW200)

Last edited by starpuss; 03-15-2012 at 10:24 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Same reason i dont just buy a new cylinder. Big bore kit = $300.00 Machine work + install the sleeve = $200.00- $250.00.....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Go for it Ive built a few engines in my days and from 2 strokes to 4 strokes i bet you will be just fine your not building a precision race engine
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

My take? Put it together and ride it while saving up for a big bore kit! Common sence rules!!!! Have fun!

'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode