Anybody interested in a metal throttle lever? - Page 3 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Sorry I haven't said anything on this in awhile. Initial estimates on set up and first run of 50 would be $5000. Needless to say, I lost most interest in it with cost per unit of $100. I'm still looking for a smaller shop that will work with me on smaller initial run and lower cost.

Happy trails

2013 Sportsman XP 850 EPS Stealth LE
Right Hand Brake Mod (Suzuki)
Lock and Ride Rear Cargo Box
Richocet A Arm Guards Red (maroon) Anodized
Lock & Ride Gun Rack
Winch Saver
Polaris Wireless Winch Remote

2001 Honda Foreman 450S

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
Jesus, you could get a smelter, forms, and sand for far less than that. and do it yourself. WTF?

you might look into a machine shop, or a fab shop instead of someone to do a casting. all you're really looking for is a tab on a cylinder. a cylinder of Ali of the right outer diameter with some flat stock welded on of the proper length. Really a simple set up. it'd be stronger if it was milled from 1 peice, but that probably wouldn't be cost effective.

Say you bought a tig set up for Ali ($1400), a cold saw for the cutting the stock($300). Drill press ($150) and good metal bits($100). you're still under $2000 in tools and probably materials for your first 50 or so units.

Set up a jig and do production runs for your cuts and you can blast out 50+ in half a day. if you sell fifty at $25 you're at $1250 so two runs of 50 and you're in the profit range. three and you're well into it. $25 is more than enough to cover the cost of the materials and the time and consumables used for each unit. It's all about getting a production line set up.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I have a machine shop and would enjoy doing something like this. I do not want to take mine apart at the present time to give it a look cause they are loaded to go riding for 3 or 4 days.

Do you have pic of the original? (with it out of the assembly)

To give an idea of what kind of stuff I make, we are currently making 10 poles for high end stand up jet skis. Compatible with all 3 brands and Powder Coated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
Zoom,

Do you feel that my accessment of the costs are pretty close to what you could do?
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
Just a thought on the design concept..... in the thought of making it an inch longer, what if that inch was arched to allow the radious point of contact between thumb and lever to remain close to the same, to aid in thumb fatigue for all riders (and our children/wives). As Zoomeroo asked..... Does anyone have a picture of one removed from the machine?

This shape would be a bear to machine....... But, if you could get a plastics mold made and use a better material, such as polycarbonate (Lexan) or even better get the part made from sintered aluminum or investment casted..... wish I had the time and capital to create such a mold. At the price of half the cost of the assembly..... they should sell and be a better part than oem. Hmmmm...... I could however create the 3D modeling files!

Matthew "MustBeNice"

2012 SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED) Sept. 2015 ATV Of The Month
Mods: SuperWinch 3000 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Glacier3 60" Plow - Polaris Rack Extenders - Polaris Bumpers - LowPro Shield - Polaris Hand Guards - Warning Debadge - 3Way Head Light (Relay) - Cabelas Mirrors - Wes Ind. Std Seat/Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" Kenda BearClaw HTR Tires - HighLifter HD Springs - MotoAlliance Sirius 6" Pro LED Light Bar

2005 SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Mid Shield - Wes Ind. Seat/Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Mirrors - Polaris Bumpers - 25" Kenda K590 Tires - PVC Spring Spacers

2014 RZR 570 EFI EPS LE TRAIL (WHITE LIGHTENING)
Mods: HarborFreight Badland 3500 Winch - MotoAlliance Winch Mount - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Sport Roof - 1/2 Windshield - Warning Debadge - Rear View Mirror - Seat Adjuster - 26" Maxxis Tires - MotoAlliance Sirius 10" Pro LED Light Bar

Last edited by MustBeNice; 04-03-2013 at 11:36 AM.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBeNice View Post
Just a thought on the design concept..... in the thought of making it an inch longer, what if that inch was arched to allow the radious point of contact between thumb and lever to remain close to the same, to aid in thumb fatigue for all riders (and our children/wives). As Zoomeroo asked..... Does anyone have a picture of one removed from the machine?

This shape would be a bear to machine....... But, if you could get a plastics mold made and use a better material, such as polycarbonate (Lexan) or even better get the part made from sintered aluminum or investment casted..... wish I had the time and capital to create such a mold. At the price of half the cost of the assembly..... they should sell and be a better part than oem. Hmmmm...... I could however create the 3D modeling files!

Nice,
I am in total agreement. It would be as simple as putting a strengthening rib in the back. I have been thinking of epoxying a piece of ABS plastic on the back of the stock lever. I am now carrying an extra lever and tools for change out.

Happy trails

Lock & Ride Gun Rack
Winch Saver

2001 Honda Foreman 450S

post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomeroo View Post
I have a machine shop and would enjoy doing something like this. I do not want to take mine apart at the present time to give it a look cause they are loaded to go riding for 3 or 4 days.

Do you have pic of the original? (with it out of the assembly)

To give an idea of what kind of stuff I make, we are currently making 10 poles for high end stand up jet skis. Compatible with all 3 brands and Powder Coated.
Dude, I will send you a broken copy if you would really like to take a shot at it. Also, I am willing to test the proto type.

IM me with a mailing address and I will send it off to you within the week.

Happy trails

Lock & Ride Gun Rack
Winch Saver

2001 Honda Foreman 450S

post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

here is the back picture of the repair
that pic is very familiar. think that is the one that i repaired for my bike..

2010 Sportsman 850 XP EPS Stealth Black
Glacier II Plow System with plow strap
3500HD Polaris Winch w/ synthetic rope
2010 Sportsman 550 XP EPS Crimson Red, Rear Seat

Last edited by waynev; 04-03-2013 at 01:16 PM.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev View Post

here is the back picture of the repair
that pic is very familiar. think that is the one that i repaired for my bike..
Ha, just may be..... it came from this site.

I've never had mine apart (knock on wood)..... how do they attach? While searching the web I came across a 2 piece version, but it looked hokie to me.

We once had a "challenge coin" done for our local FD.... Price depended on quantity ordered (about $20 a piece X40+) want to say overall cost was $1000-1500. Wonder if something like this could be made/sourced through a company like that? Or how much a small new mold would cost???

Matthew "MustBeNice"

2012 SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED) Sept. 2015 ATV Of The Month
Mods: SuperWinch 3000 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Glacier3 60" Plow - Polaris Rack Extenders - Polaris Bumpers - LowPro Shield - Polaris Hand Guards - Warning Debadge - 3Way Head Light (Relay) - Cabelas Mirrors - Wes Ind. Std Seat/Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" Kenda BearClaw HTR Tires - HighLifter HD Springs - MotoAlliance Sirius 6" Pro LED Light Bar

2005 SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Mid Shield - Wes Ind. Seat/Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Mirrors - Polaris Bumpers - 25" Kenda K590 Tires - PVC Spring Spacers

2014 RZR 570 EFI EPS LE TRAIL (WHITE LIGHTENING)
Mods: HarborFreight Badland 3500 Winch - MotoAlliance Winch Mount - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Sport Roof - 1/2 Windshield - Warning Debadge - Rear View Mirror - Seat Adjuster - 26" Maxxis Tires - MotoAlliance Sirius 10" Pro LED Light Bar
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
if it's cast, the mold is easy, it's the blanks that are expensive. but my guess is that the challenge coins were stamped which is dies and a totally different beast. As with everything, the more you make the cheaper it is to make it. with something like this, where many people will not see the benefit of going to a metal thumb throttle when they can get it cheaper and easier in plastic, quantity is not on your side. You've also got to consider the liability of having a metal thumb throttle that doesn't have a break away point. someone breaks their thumb, and it's due to the metal thumb throttle they could come after the manufacturer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Tags
throttle lever

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode