Polaris ATV Forum banner

Stubborn u-joints??

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Kevcules 
#1 ·
The yokes were shot on front prop shaft, so I bought a used prop shaft for a different machine off eBay to salvage the yokes to use on mine.

Spent the better part of an entire week trying to get the 4 u-joints out of both shafts using a variety of tools...vise, hammer, and bearing puller.

Now that I have got everything apart, I noticed that somehow with all the force I put on the damn thing I widened the spacing on one of the collars on my shaft??

Was going to head to NAPA today with my $15 off coupon to buy new u-joints, wondering if I should even bother?

Can I get the new u-joints in and trying to bend my collar back square with a vise?

#2 ·
You should be able to no problem. It would be nice if you could bend it back with a vice before you install your new joints. It's a good idea to use heat also when bending the yoke back into place.

#4 ·
If that's all you have available, then use it, you should be fine! I had to do that to my old truck drive shaft yoke one time and I didn't use "any" heat. It was aluminum though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.