Polaris vs Can Am - Page 18 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 04:50 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Polaris vs Can Am

My boss a kq 750 and had a lot of electrical problems out of it.

2013 850ho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 04:54 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Polaris vs Can Am

There is always bad ones out there, my dads owned from when they only made 300 kq's never had one prob with one
post #173 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:47 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

The new KQ design put into service in 2009 with power steering is excellent. With the 2013 models we are on the 5th year of the same design so all the bugs are out...but there were not many, even from the start. In both the 500 and 750 you have a very stable platform with no quirky bugs. Stop by the KQ forum...no frame issues, no PS issues, no motor issues, no oil in the air filter...rather than looking at what an ATV has for features, you might do as I did and start looking at what a particular ATV doesn't have for issues!

When it came time to buy a new quad for the wife last fall (she rides hard and loves to jump) I went with a KQ500 with PS and put elka stage 1s on it. Now she has the plush ride of an XP with reliability and lack of issues. The longer we have it, the more we like it. The engine braking it fantastic without the ADC issues. It does not "grab" hard and try to throw you over the handle bars going down a steep incline. It works on all 4 wheels, not some combination with 4 different parameters that must be met before it activates. The fuel economy is incredible...in 2 wheel drive riding nice you are in the mid to high 20's, fully 2x the range of myy 850 xp EPS...you never have to wonder if the front axle is locked in or not...you decide. The shifter is so much better than the XPs...not even a contest. Separate brakes controls for front and rear...with a sealed drum for the rear. Lighter weight, more maneuverable...and flat out the smoothest single cylinder motor you can get on an ATV. Transmission engages at lower revs and is geared higher so you almost never "race" the motor. It is quiet...you can pull over and have a conversation with helmets on without shutting it off.

I could go on, but this recent review of the 2013 750 kq is worth watching:

2012 Polaris Ranger RZR 570 test review. ATV Television. ATV. UTV. SxS. Tests Videos and Information. Latest News. Product Reviews. Ultimate Adventures

Bottom line...I have a 2010 850 XP EPS. I have been one of the lucky ones, no real issues other than horrible gas mileage no matter how I ride making me the guy always begging for gas on group rides and slowing everyone down looking for fuel. My range is 50 miles. With an average trail speed of 15 mph where we ride, the 850 ccs are rarely used, but every ride I lament fuel. I would have went with a 550, but all the valve issues and a test ride of that rattling, shaking motor ruled it out. I have replaced every bushing on it with new ones made by a member on this forum. It will be interesting to see how they last.

My extended warranty runs out in Aug and I will be selling the XP at that time. I will have over 2000 miles on it by now and don't want to press my luck with something major going out. My next atv will definately be a 750 or 500 kq with elka stage 1s, a quality air filter and bighorn tlres.

I understand those who have the $$ to chase the big bore, big size, high performance machines and say more power to them. For me it has become more important to have something that gets the job done with a minimum of issues and peace of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Great thanks for the review
Do the King quads not have a wet clutch?
Wet clutch deletes are around 1500-2000 from airdam or speedworx..
I personally will always stick with dry clutches as they produce more un-laggy power

-2013 Sportsman 500ho

-"It only takes ruts then the GUTS!"
post #175 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisChevyGuy View Post
Great thanks for the review
Do the King quads not have a wet clutch?
Wet clutch deletes are around 1500-2000 from airdam or speedworx..
I personally will always stick with dry clutches as they produce more un-laggy power
Put a vdi on a kingquad and the power lag is gone (500 bucks) but it also gets rid of limiters and 30% more power, also do coop mod 2 and 3 or just 3 they mod your clutch and it will give you another 30% lower gear but lose no top end actully gain top end. I do like wet clutchs better never had to change a belt on one yet.
post #176 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh View Post
The new KQ design put into service in 2009 with power steering is excellent. With the 2013 models we are on the 5th year of the same design so all the bugs are out...but there were not many, even from the start. In both the 500 and 750 you have a very stable platform with no quirky bugs. Stop by the KQ forum...no frame issues, no PS issues, no motor issues, no oil in the air filter...rather than looking at what an ATV has for features, you might do as I did and start looking at what a particular ATV doesn't have for issues!

When it came time to buy a new quad for the wife last fall (she rides hard and loves to jump) I went with a KQ500 with PS and put elka stage 1s on it. Now she has the plush ride of an XP with reliability and lack of issues. The longer we have it, the more we like it. The engine braking it fantastic without the ADC issues. It does not "grab" hard and try to throw you over the handle bars going down a steep incline. It works on all 4 wheels, not some combination with 4 different parameters that must be met before it activates. The fuel economy is incredible...in 2 wheel drive riding nice you are in the mid to high 20's, fully 2x the range of myy 850 xp EPS...you never have to wonder if the front axle is locked in or not...you decide. The shifter is so much better than the XPs...not even a contest. Separate brakes controls for front and rear...with a sealed drum for the rear. Lighter weight, more maneuverable...and flat out the smoothest single cylinder motor you can get on an ATV. Transmission engages at lower revs and is geared higher so you almost never "race" the motor. It is quiet...you can pull over and have a conversation with helmets on without shutting it off.

I could go on, but this recent review of the 2013 750 kq is worth watching:

2012 Polaris Ranger RZR 570 test review. ATV Television. ATV. UTV. SxS. Tests Videos and Information. Latest News. Product Reviews. Ultimate Adventures

Bottom line...I have a 2010 850 XP EPS. I have been one of the lucky ones, no real issues other than horrible gas mileage no matter how I ride making me the guy always begging for gas on group rides and slowing everyone down looking for fuel. My range is 50 miles. With an average trail speed of 15 mph where we ride, the 850 ccs are rarely used, but every ride I lament fuel. I would have went with a 550, but all the valve issues and a test ride of that rattling, shaking motor ruled it out. I have replaced every bushing on it with new ones made by a member on this forum. It will be interesting to see how they last.

My extended warranty runs out in Aug and I will be selling the XP at that time. I will have over 2000 miles on it by now and don't want to press my luck with something major going out. My next atv will definately be a 750 or 500 kq with elka stage 1s, a quality air filter and bighorn tlres.

I understand those who have the $$ to chase the big bore, big size, high performance machines and say more power to them. For me it has become more important to have something that gets the job done with a minimum of issues and peace of mind.
king quad might not be a drag monster but they can be rode hard and run the next day :P
post #177 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Polaris vs Can Am

The king is a damn nice quad. It does everything pretty good and is reliable. It just has no excitement factor for me....much like a grizzly...good thing about the wet clutches is u never have to worry about idling in gear or burning up a belt like a Polaris, can am, or brute. But neither the king nor the grizzly have that balls out power of the others. Good quads for sure though
post #178 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I have a 850 Polaris and a 1000 max Can Am and have seen a lot of Wet clutch wonders in the deep snow . They work alright if you want to be last. If you want to go first its Can Am all the way.
post #179 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM

I read through this whole thing because I was bored. I ride an 800 and my friend rides an 850... he won't let his get off the ground. I really don't care as long as the landing is soft. I'm tempted to buy a sport quad just to abuse the jumps. I know for a fact that that at near 800lbs neither one is meant for jumps, whoops, or front end impact. Ultimately, I would say frame failure from what I've seen here is repeated front end impact. Physics here is simple... any front end impact forces stress on the frame well beyond rear or level landing. Simply put, if the front end impacts first, the frame has to sustain momentum and impact forces. It really doesn't matter if you are doing 5mph or 50mph... if the front end hits first the force exponentially greater. Vectors show that pretty simply.

I guess the other quad arguments could go on forever. Visco v Polaris, wet v dry, etc. But after reading what breaks frames, broken frames, I had comment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode