Polaris vs Can Am - Page 3 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 179 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

The list of which models get too hot on your leg is quite long. I still stand with my statement about poor engineering. Come on now, I am talking about relocating the exhaust pipe to keep from hurting the operator. A teenager could come up with a better design.

I made the "use more gas statement" based on the fact my friend and I have ridden together 4 times now and every time his blinkie is blinking(so he says) when I still have a dot or two. I carry 5 gallons. I thought he said he carried the same. Maybe the outies carry less fuel. Or maybe he has to use 4X4 much more than I do to go the same places. (poor traction LOL) If the Outie carries a lot less fuel than I stand corrected.

He definitely got something with his Outie I never had. A BURN MARK ON HIS LEG!

It has been said here more than once, the dealer is very important which ever brand you buy and I have to agree with that. I have a Polaris dealer 2 miles from my house and one 20 miles away and yet I drove 100 miles to buy mine. I drove the 100 miles when I bought my second one as well.

Which is better. The people who ride the best know they ride the best. And then there are all of the other riders and brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 179 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

The durability of second gen can ams are no better... great for the first year then trade er back in lol

-2013 Sportsman 500ho

-"It only takes ruts then the GUTS!"
post #23 of 179 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Don't say anything bad about the outlander people get mad at you on hear . Yes the frames suck even on the new G2 my friends is cracked in 3 spots even after the fix and one is where there is no fix for it yet so he had to weld a cut in half steal pipe over the crack . Should he have to for 14,000$ my xp frame is just fine but I do need a new rim after today dam rock under the snow ! Still a great day !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 179 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM

The dealer that I have always went through carries Can-Am Polaris and Yamaha. I talked to multiple salesmen there and they also felt that the Polaris was the best buy for the price. They also said that the # of sales for the sportsman's were substantially larger than Yamaha and Can-Am. Out of the 10 units they sold on Saturday i think 6 or 7 of them were Polaris (XPs, rangers and razors).
Can-Am defiantly makes a very nice and capable atv, but is it worth the extra expense? There is no correct answer across the board. Comes down to rider preference.
post #25 of 179 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 PM
ATV Enthusiast

My brother had a 2006 ca outlander and #1, had ground clearance issues #2, the frame got a twist in it and had to take it to a autobody shop to bend the frame straight and #3 one of the front strut springs broke. Needless to say he got rid of it.

2012 Sportsman 500HO Sage green with 2500# winch. Going to keep it simple (no mods)
2012 Polaris 136 IQ Shift For Fun in the Snow
post #26 of 179 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

I have owned both loved them both I would buy a Polaris XP again in a heartbeat or a Scrambler I went with Canam because they were cheaper for what I wanted. lets get something pointed out A non XT Outlander is not 14 grand There @ the same money as a stock 850XP now if your talking the XT package and yes its more expensive well because you get bumpers and a winch and such The dealer I bought my 500 Max from had a new 1000 Outlander non XT for under 9 grand and thats the same as an XP up here in VT so please compare apples to apples as far as pricing goes. my buddy bought a new 800 max yes it gets hot he bought some boots that go higher up on his leg problem solved the G2 doesn't get hot on you they fixed the problem. I am on both this forum and a Canam forum I enjoy both. Bottom line both are awesome machines both have the potential of breaking and to be honest none should for the money we all work hard to make. Dealer is huge if you have a crappy dealer if and when you have an issue it can soar you on the brand.
So my 2 cents drive both go with your gut and what feels good for you and enjoy, your going to read negative about both I love both bikes to be honest to me it comes down to what I want to pay and at the time my 1000 Rene was cheaper then a Scrambler and my 500 Max xt was cheaper then a 550 Touring and I looked long and hard in the area to find the Polaris I wanted. And when Im ready for a new machine someday I'll look at both again

2014 Touring 850 LE

2014 RZR 800LE Orange Madness
post #27 of 179 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351windsor View Post
The dealer that I have always went through carries Can-Am Polaris and Yamaha. I talked to multiple salesmen there and they also felt that the Polaris was the best buy for the price. They also said that the # of sales for the sportsman's were substantially larger than Yamaha and Can-Am. Out of the 10 units they sold on Saturday i think 6 or 7 of them were Polaris (XPs, rangers and razors).
Can-Am defiantly makes a very nice and capable atv, but is it worth the extra expense? There is no correct answer across the board. Comes down to rider preference.
Try out the Grizz 700 as well my buddy that bought the 800 Max had an 07 Grizz with over 4000 miles on it no issues loved the bike but Yamaha doesnt sell a 2 up so he went with the Canam looked at the 850 touring liked it but the dealer was a jerk so he went with the Outlander. Grizz may be older tech but they run strong and ride really well and have great PS

2014 Touring 850 LE

2014 RZR 800LE Orange Madness
post #28 of 179 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 03:11 AM

I have owned and ridden all three machine 800 rene ( 2012 )... sold, 1000 outlander xmr ( 2012 )... sold, and I just pruchased a 2013 Scrambler 850. As far as power goes the 1000 is a beast, it is just incredible the power that comes in a fourwheeler these days. But the machine is enormous and heavy, I mean back breaking heavy, especially in the mud, stuck, in the woods by yourself heavy. I really enjoyed the 800 renegade it was very fast and comfortable to ride, good power also. With all that the Scrambler I just bought is by far the best all around machine I have owned. Very nimble excellent power and the suspension is absolutley killer. Coming from a motocross background, any fourwheeler that you can ride the whoops at 45 to 50 mph and your kidneys are not bleeding when you are done riding takes the cake as far as I am concerned. Definitely not doing that on a 1000 xmr, and the rengade was good but it will still beat you to death. Of course nothing will compare to my Cr 500, but as far as fourwheelers go I am very impressed with the scrambler. If deep mud is your thing - 1000 xmr spend the money, its done - wheels, tires, winch... done. If you are planning on trials, mud, and just all around good riding go with the polaris.
post #29 of 179 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler8502013 View Post
I have owned and ridden all three machine 800 rene ( 2012 )... sold, 1000 outlander xmr ( 2012 )... sold, and I just pruchased a 2013 Scrambler 850. As far as power goes the 1000 is a beast, it is just incredible the power that comes in a fourwheeler these days. But the machine is enormous and heavy, I mean back breaking heavy, especially in the mud, stuck, in the woods by yourself heavy. I really enjoyed the 800 renegade it was very fast and comfortable to ride, good power also. With all that the Scrambler I just bought is by far the best all around machine I have owned. Very nimble excellent power and the suspension is absolutley killer. Coming from a motocross background, any fourwheeler that you can ride the whoops at 45 to 50 mph and your kidneys are not bleeding when you are done riding takes the cake as far as I am concerned. Definitely not doing that on a 1000 xmr, and the rengade was good but it will still beat you to death. Of course nothing will compare to my Cr 500, but as far as fourwheelers go I am very impressed with the scrambler. If deep mud is your thing - 1000 xmr spend the money, its done - wheels, tires, winch... done. If you are planning on trials, mud, and just all around good riding go with the polaris.

*cough* 450's *cough*

To me can am has the nicer styling. Even the XP looks 80's compared to the 2013 canned hams.

To me the 2x4, 3x4, THEN 4x4 is pretty gay on the can am too.

2013 850XP HO

F/R Polaris Bumpers
2up Seat / Foot Pegs
HL HD Springs
QSC Clutch kit
27" Grippers
Direction 2 Flares
Lock N Ride Front Box
Lock N Ride Tall Windshield
3000lb Winch w/ Custom Mount
60" Kimpex Click N' go
Custom Plow Wings
post #30 of 179 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Polaris vs Can Am

Ride both and see what u like better. Only machine I would look at buying right now (it would be my 3rd one in 14 months) would be the outy 1000xt. My biggest hang up with it is the size and weight of it. Around 900lbs wet and ready to ride is a lot of machine

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode