Any Polaris dealers on this forum? - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Advise please-Any Polaris dealers on this forum?

You don't have to be a dealer to chime in, here goes:

We have a very profitable dealership near me. But, they have no place to test drive their machines. The "neighbors" get upset when they do let someone drive around back. It seems to me, if you are going to pay the high price that many of these machines demand, you would like to try 'em out. Plus, if a salesman took you on a fast, grin-inspiring RZR ride, seems like you might hook a few more folks.
So I've got 40 acres close to this dealership. It's actually got a small sandy-ish track (looks like dirt bikes and atv's created it) with some fairly tame whoops and such.
The dealership could load up a test unit drive 2 miles unload and hook a customer in less than a half hour total.
Tell me if you think this proposition has any chance of flying. I would give them free run of my property (lease it to them for 5? Years) in exchange for a RZR.
Heck, I'd let the owner and manager hunt there too (good deer have been taken on and near this property).

Any chance? If so, any advice on how to make the sell? Just trying to dream up ways to have more fun on the cheap!

2011 Sportsman 550 X2
Ricochet Ultimate Armor
2013 RZR S LE w/EPS

Last edited by Amccoy; 04-06-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

I use to work at a dealer, so I'll chime in.

First, it can't hurt to ask. We had a similar situation, no place for a good test ride.

There is one big hurdle for you and the dealer to get over, and for both of you that is liability. People are freaking sue happy beyond belief, this is a million dollar lawsuit waiting to happen.

On the dealers side, they have to justify the costs of caring insurance to protect themselves, and their equipment. Somebody test rides their machine on your property and tears the machine up, they have to replace it. They also could be liable for medical expenses if the person was riding their machine.

You have liability on your end. Some customer is test riding a new 850, gets crazy on the throttle and winds up in the hospital with a broken neck, legally you could be on the hook, it's your property. I dont agree with people suing and winning in these types of situations, but the reality is people do.

It won't hurt to bring it up. I also wouldn't be surprised if they turn down the offer. Actually, I'd expect it. It might be hard to convince them they will hook that many more sales by the use of your land. They might be willing to let a few sales walk away because they don't have a test ride area than to carry the risk and the insurance.

Our dealership sat right next to an entire city lot that was empty and for sale, and not one time did our owner even consider trying to lease or rent that unused land for a test ride area.

And if it does happen, make sure you get a good lawyer to draft up a detailed contract. Don't do this on a gentlemens handshake. THere is far too much money and liability tied up in this.

Let us know.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Not only the liability issue, but as you stated the machines are expensive so I would want one with 0 miles on it, not one that has been test drove by several people (cus I know how I drive a test vehicle).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Any Polaris dealers on this forum?

If I couldn't test drive a machine there's no way I would buy it!! I would think maybe they would. My dealer has a pretty good lot for test drives so I was happy. Let us know how it turns out.

2013 850ho
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler700 View Post
Not only the liability issue, but as you stated the machines are expensive so I would want one with 0 miles on it, not one that has been test drove by several people (cus I know how I drive a test vehicle).
I agree, I think they should have units they reserve just for test drives. Then, if the models ever change so much that the test drive units no longer offer a good representation then offer those used ones to someone for a smokin' deal.

I don't know if it would help with the liability issue or not but maybe on the SxS vehicles, just give the customer a ride. I know that the short ride in my buddies commander is what has gotten me hot for a RZR.

2011 Sportsman 550 X2
Ricochet Ultimate Armor
2013 RZR S LE w/EPS
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Polaris does have a demo unit program for dealers that could potentially solve the test ridden new machine issue. Have one machine of each type that is a test mule, sell them new out of the crate.

I don't remember the specifics of this program, and it may not pay off for a smaller dealer because I believe both the dealer and Polaris lose a bit on the demo machines.

It would be really cool. Just gotta fight off the lawsuits ready to happen, and the guys who just want a free ride with no interst to buy.

I'd ask, just put it on the table. Worst they can say is no. Let us know how it goes.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
My X2 was a demo unit at the dealership I bought it from. It had 150 miles on it when I bought it, and I bought it for close to $2,000 less than a zero miles unit. It was sold as a new unit with all factory warranties in place. Not a bad deal if you can find one. They had their own area for test rides right out back of the store. Probably 3 acres. The three Polaris dealers in this area all have a test track to ride on.

2018 Polaris General 1000, Elka Stage 2 Shocks, 29" Tusk Warthogs, Polaris 4,500 lb. winch, Factory UTV Skid Plates, Dux Turn Signal/Horn Kit, EMP Cooter Brown Roof, Ryfab Folding Glass Windshield, Spring Brake Thingy
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn XT25, Iron Baltic HDPE Skid Plates (Mine)
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn Vantage 3000, Elka Stage 1 Shocks, Warn Mid-Mount Plow (Wife's)

2011 XP 850 EPS (SOLD 3,600 miles), 28" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD2 Wheels, Warn XT25, Ricochet Ultimate protection, Elka Stage 1 shocks, QSC clutch kit
2009 Sportsman 500 EFI HO (SOLD 2,600 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch, Cycle Country plow (Wife's)
2007 Sportsman 800 X2 (SOLD 2,500 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

our dealer had one but they shut it down because of the liability same with arctic cat dealer in town. But i work with a person who gets a discount on rangers because they plow their snow.

2002 sportsman 500 HO (Gunmetal grey)
26" Swamp Witch tires
3000# winch
EPI HD springs
Warn front bumper + Warn trail lights
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Any Polaris dealers on this forum?

I didn't even sit on my 2012 500 or my 2012 X2 before buying them. When I put my 500 on my trailer it was the first time had ever even sat on a Polaris Sportsman.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 AM
ATV Enthusiast

I worked as a salesman at my local Polaris dealer for 3 years and we had no place to test ride either. Most people know what they want before they even go to the dealers, but a place to test ride would have been nice for the few who could not make up their minds on what to buy. You would be far better off to sell the property to them and remove yourself from any liability issues. JMTCW

2012 Sportsman 500HO Sage green with 2500# winch. Going to keep it simple (no mods)
2012 Polaris 136 IQ Shift For Fun in the Snow

Last edited by Starman; 04-08-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode