Polaris ATV Forum

Polaris ATV Forum (https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/)
-   ATV General Discussion (https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-general-discussion/)
-   -   2004 Sportsman Mods, Looking for input (https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-general-discussion/41953-2004-sportsman-mods-looking-input.html)

Smoke244 04-07-2013 12:53 PM

2004 Sportsman Mods, Looking for input

Hey guys and gals, I have a 2004 Sportsman 700 EFI and am looking to do a few light mods to it this spring. Mainly thinking of adding a 2" lift to the front to get wider tires under the front and add a new exhaust to it. I am thinking of the Big Gun EVO system. What are your thoughts or experiences with these mods? Also, may do the 2" in the back however, the rear axle shafts seem to be at extreme angles already. Thanks!!

I need to add the quad is currently bone stock other than the wheels and tires.

KICKER431 04-07-2013 02:25 PM

I know a lot of people love their lifts. I am not a fan because lifts break axles. As already noted, Polaris has designed these for maximum clearance, thus putting the diff's up high and the cv shafts at steep angles. Going further breaks axles. So then you need a lift, and stronger axles. Then you can fit bigger tires, which suck the power out of the machine. So then you need a clutch kit.
My favorite mod is my heated hand grips and HD springs. Didn't lift it, but took the sag out of the suspension. I can run 27" tires and have enough clearance to keep up with all but the extreme riders out there.

Smoke244 04-07-2013 02:48 PM

Are the HD springs you are running OEM Polaris?

KICKER431 04-07-2013 03:04 PM

EPI from Hey! ATV Parts and Accessories are Here. May not find the right ones on the site but if you call or email Thor there he can hook you up.

Smoke244 04-07-2013 03:13 PM

I will give them a call tomorrow. The drive shaft issue has always concerned me with lifts.

berad80 04-07-2013 03:47 PM

I feel the same about a lift ..............as far as exhaust goes I would go with a brand that specializes in Polaris im not a fan of big gun....a lot of exhausts will only change your powerband imo not worth it....I would recommend a clutch kit and a good foam air filter....if you have a carb model I would just fine tune the jetting

Smoke244 04-07-2013 04:53 PM

My ride is EFI. I do intend to do more research on the exhaust and decided to start here. Thank you guys that have replied and I look forward to more help.

wheeler700 04-07-2013 05:24 PM

I have 27s on mine without a lift. I put epi hd front springs in and wish I would have done it years ago. If your quad is stock, tires will make the most difference and a clutch kit will make it a nice package.