Polaris ATV Forum banner

Front Spring Sag - Easy Fix

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  oxyleak 
#1 ·
I don't usually post much but this I could not pass up. I acquired a 2004.4 400 Sportsman that needed a little work and after closer inspection following a hunting trip last weekend I discovered that I needed to install a new ball joint and new wheel bearings all around. I noticed that I had the front sag issue so I thought I would go the PVC route and space up my springs. After I had the struts apart and almost on my way to go to the store and pick up a 2" PVC coupler I thought - wouldn't it be cool if the rear bearing did the same thing? Low and behold after knocking out the guts of the rear wheel bearings they slipped perfectly over the front struts. I left one of the bearing seals in each side so they would seat on the base ring and pulled the other side out. Being that these are angular contact bearings, there is a ridge for the ball bearings to ride on, which provides a perfect seat for the base of the spring to nest inside the outer race. I probably did not get the full 2" of lift that a PVC coupler would have gotten me but I did not spend any money and I like the idea of having hardened steep instead of plastic under my springs. Let me know if you want to see pics....

#2 ·
WELCOME OXYLEAK!!

Sounds like quite a idea!

YES PLEASE DO POST UP PICTURES!! Someone will benefit for certain!

CW

#3 ·
couple of questions. 1, is there a way for water to drain out of the bottom of the bearing race?

2, how much wider than the springs are the races? in other words, how far into the race are the springs sitting?

3. are the springs seated in such a way that they can't kick one way or the other creating excess load on one side of the spring?

#4 ·
Thor to answer your questions - the bottom of the bearing is not completely sealed so there would be a way for water to drain out. Water would drain out between the bottom ring and where it sits on the strut. The springs base is almost the same size as the bearing and it sits snug inside the race - I tapped the spring in with a hammer to make sure it was seated. I have not reassembled the struts on the bike as of yet but they are compressed equally on each side. In some of the pics I have seen of the PVC spacers it looks like the PVC spacer does not offer any way to retain the spring. The bearing idea completely captures the spring. Good questions by the way - none that I have thought of

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.