opinion on belts - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Not to completely derail, but I'm curious as to how the belt slipping led to a roll-over. Also, hope everyone's ok (which I'm assuming they are otherwise you prob would have stated it.)

2014 Sportsman 550 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezerasurfr View Post
Not to completely derail, but I'm curious as to how the belt slipping led to a roll-over. Also, hope everyone's ok (which I'm assuming they are otherwise you prob would have stated it.)
Happened to one of the can am guys I have ridden with. Basically due to the fact he was running oversized tires with 3,000 miles on the original belt. To compound the situation he haden't done any clutch work to the bike. He was doing a slick moderate hill climb lost momentum due to lack of wheel speed from the belt slipping. Almost made it up then the belt blows apart sending him sliding (brakes locked) backwards into the tree line. Luckily for the tress and the fact that the trail was curved. If it wasn't for those two factors it would have been a lot more damage then a bent rear rack and busted chainsaw mount.

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
2020 Outlander® 1000R XXC
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
we were headed up a short steep section. My step son was driving. His first time driving that machine (he has a 110cc kid quad) on the trails. I was on the back. heading up the steep spot the belt slipped and we lost momentum and forward progress. as we started to roll backwards my step son gunned it (instead of letting it roll back and taking a second shot) and the belt caught. and over we went. I acted as a roll cage for him as I'd grabbed onto the handle bars the second we lost momentum. and everything was fine. I attempted the hill climb again and couldn't even get enough momentum/speed going to start up the hill because the belt was slipping so bad. Pulled the clutch cover drain plug and let it drain/dry for a bit. once that was done we were back in business, but this time with my step son riding behind a friend of mine and me on my machine alone.

there were two factors that caused us to go over. 1 the slipping belt. and 2 my fat ass on the back. 1/3 of the weight of the machine up high and on the back on a steep section just isn't a good combination. Had he been going up on his own (granted it was short, like I could stand at the bottom and be taller than it) I doubt it would have gone over.

"There are no problems. There are only Solutions. It's your job to find the right one.

2017 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS
3500 lbs Polaris winch with Synthetic Rope
Front Utility Rack
ODI Rogue Lockon Grips

2007 Hawkeye 300 17HP of gutless glory
25" STI Black Diamond ATRs
Pure Polaris Deluxe front Brush guard
Pure Polaris hand guards
ODI Rogue Lockon Grips
4" LED on the pod
8" LED light bar on the front bumper.
Badlands 2500 lbs. winch w/remote and Kong winch saver.
Full Aluminum Skid plate and A-arm guards(custom built)
Pure Polaris Front rack extension
Quadworks Stage 1 power kit
  • K&N Highflow reusable filter
  • Quadworks highflow prefilter
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers

Last edited by ThorsHammer; 03-13-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdforever View Post
If you're belt is hourglassing in idle, you have a clutch issue and that problem exists whether its in gear or in park. The primary clutch is always spinning (connected to the crankshaft) and is not affected by what gear you have the bike in at idle. The secondary will always free spin in neutral and park, only in the other gears will it actually try to drive something. So if your belt is moving/rotating at idle in neutral or park, you have a problem.
Wouldn't the primary always have a "grip" on the belt, causing the belt to rotate with the primary all the time? Isn't that why everyone says not to idle in gear? Because the primary is always gripping, therefore spinning the belt?

'12 XP 850HO Touring w/EPS
- Superwinch LT3000
- 27" GBC Grim Reapers
- Polaris Front Bumper
- Xenon Blue Headlights
- Polaris Plow
- 2gal Rotopax

"The makers of the Constitution conferred, as against the government, the right to be let alone the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."
- Justice Louis D. Brandeis
US Supreme Court
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 03:14 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcoastie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdforever View Post
If you're belt is hourglassing in idle, you have a clutch issue and that problem exists whether its in gear or in park. The primary clutch is always spinning (connected to the crankshaft) and is not affected by what gear you have the bike in at idle. The secondary will always free spin in neutral and park, only in the other gears will it actually try to drive something. So if your belt is moving/rotating at idle in neutral or park, you have a problem.
Wouldn't the primary always have a "grip" on the belt, causing the belt to rotate with the primary all the time? Isn't that why everyone says not to idle in gear? Because the primary is always gripping, therefore spinning the belt?
Nope. The primary should always release the belt at idle. If it were always gripping the belt then that would mean the secondary is always turning, thus making it hard as hell to get into gear

When I installed my QSC clutch kit, due to the weight setup and spring config for mine and my type of riding, the weights were already pushing on the spider at idle, causing the belt to rotate and creating the problems I just mentioned above. I had to add one of their shims just to get it to stop doing that at idle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode