Faulty Polaris 2500 Winch on 500 HO - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Angry Faulty Polaris 2500 Winch on 500 HO

Purchased a 2013 500 HO with a Polaris 2500 winch (50 ft cable) and 54" Polaris plow in November of 2013. It has 26" ripsaw tires and custom black wheels, front and rear brush guards.

After 3 months of use the winch cable is frayed 10 feet from the hook and it is difficult to spool and unspool. The spool switch is also working backwards.

The dealer is telling me they wont cover it as it as the cable is a wear and tear item. Its only 3 months old.

The Polaris plow manual states that it should have had a 3500lb winch and short cable installed for plowing as it would cause the 50 foot cable to wear prematurely.....but 3 months!!

Should I have to eat this or should H&K work with me on this??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polaris front.jpg
Views:	3171
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	16839  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
I hate to break it to you..... But this would be called wear..... and this ones on you!! Sorry, chalk this one up to a classic "live and learn" moment!!

I would install the shorter cable as recommended in the manual..... or many of use a boat winch strap from Walmart (or any "China Mart" for that matter). Duct tape the end on and spool it up, already has the hook on it!

As for the toggle working backwards.... My guess is that your cable is "pinched/bit on itself" and is now spooling backwards (if it once worked correctly). Try to free spool out the cable. If it only comes out so far and stops dead.... your in for a fight to get it off (if you want to attempt to save it).

I cut mine, lost about the first 5' only and re-swaged my hook back on. I now run the boat strap for plowing and put my metal cable back on in the summer.

Good Luck!

Matthew "MustBeNice"

2012 SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED) Sept. 2015 ATV Of The Month
Mods: SuperWinch 3000 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Glacier3 60" Plow - Polaris Rack Extenders - Polaris Bumpers - LowPro Shield - Polaris Hand Guards - Warning Debadge - 3Way Head Light (Relay) - Cabelas Mirrors - Wes Ind. Std Seat/Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" Kenda BearClaw HTR Tires - HighLifter HD Springs - MotoAlliance Sirius 6" Pro LED Light Bar

2005 SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Mid Shield - Wes Ind. Seat/Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Mirrors - Polaris Bumpers - 25" Kenda K590 Tires - PVC Spring Spacers

2014 RZR 570 EFI EPS LE TRAIL (WHITE LIGHTENING)
Mods: HarborFreight Badland 3500 Winch - MotoAlliance Winch Mount - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Sport Roof - 1/2 Windshield - Warning Debadge - Rear View Mirror - Seat Adjuster - 26" Maxxis Tires - MotoAlliance Sirius 10" Pro LED Light Bar
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:35 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome to the board!

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 04:46 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Plowing is very hard on a winch. I see a lot of guys buy a $130 winch and destroy it in a season of plowing. Also see a lot of $300+ winches that go for many years. Sell quite a few of these to gus with plows to save their steel cable in the winter.

https://motoalliance.com/Site.Store....Details&id=606

You're going to have to fight the cable off and see what's going on with it. Like mentioned above, it likely bound up on itself and reversed on the spool somewhere along the way.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

2 full seasons on my 120$ superwinch. Broke the cable once and it spooled up on itself. Pulled it off and a little pryiing and pulling with a screwdriver got it free. Cut off 3-4 feet with a cit off wheel and re attach the hook. Good ever since. You have be careful how much slack you give it, that will cause the cable to double over itself. That is your issue with the winch running backwards, as stated above

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

2012 SPORTSMAN 800 EFI
K&N FILTER
ATV GURU FRONT BRUSH GUARD
CUSTOM REAR BUMPER
2500lb WARN WINCH
WARN PROVANTAGE MID
KENDA BEARCLAW HTR
POLARIS HANDGAURDS
KOLPIN 1.5 GAL FUEL PACK
QSC CLUTCH KIT

2012 SPORTSMAN 500 H.O.
ATV GURU FRONT BRUSH GUARD
3000LB SUPERWINCH
K&N FILTER
L&R REAR STORAGE

POLARIS HANDWARMERS
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Also those "Polaris" winches made by Warn are not the greatest, the gear casing inside is plastic and they are not meant to last. You need to get a real Warn like an RT or MT or Vantage series winch. See other Winch thread for recommendations.
The quads are not designed for a plow......the plow is designed for the quad so there will be rubbing and odd angles for the winch on the quads. You have to expect wearing a cable out when all it does is go in and out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

I have a Polaris winch from Warn and it is definitely all metal inside. I also have 3 3500 Polaris ones built in China I guess and except for the free spool knob which is its weak spot it is also all metal inside and surprising to me very robust. Just my observations.

12 Starfire Blue Sportsman 850XPHO LE EPS:
- Fender guards, 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles, QSC clutch kit

12 Bronze Mist Sportsman 850XPHO EPS
- 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd Hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles

08 Sportsman 500HO
-26" STI Black Diamond, Kimpex box with seat, Rack/Fender guards, Uni Air Filter, HID lights, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Polaris 3500HD, Polaris hand/thumb warmers, EPI clutch, Rhino front axles

01 500HO Plow Machine
-Kenda Bearclaws, Kimpex Plow, hand warmers, Warn winch

Faithful friends no longer with me:
94 Sportsman 400 4x4- owned 18 years
2000 Xplorer 400 4x4- owned 10 years
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

It seems they have some different series throughout the years as now they offer the Polaris HD and what not. The ones they used to offer with the purchase of the atv or so much $ in accessories had a plastic casing for that outside gear to ride in would strip out. The gears inside are metal the actual planetary itself. they were all 2500# models.

In short if it says a name brand on it "Yamaha or Polaris" and Warn together just use caution especially from ebay sales might not be the winch you expect from Warn.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 09:15 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

To free it up attach the hook to your truck hitch chain loop or something stationary (tree...etc) , place the winch in free spool position and slowly back up. It should easily pull free and unwind. May take a couple attempts. Now turn the knob back to lock it . Inside on the spool is a allenhead set screw that holds the cable in. Take the cable off and throw it away. Get the 20' boat trailer winch strap from Walmart with the hook on the end. Cut it in half and just put about 4" of package tape on the cut end, leave 2" for on the spool. Hold a little tension on the strap and slowly hit the in button and wind up. 2 or 3 lifts of the plow will tighten it up and your good to go.Very durable and lasts a long time.

Next buy a 50' synthetic winch rope for when plowing season is done. Very easy to remove the strap and put the rope on. Forget about cable its nothing but a pain in the ass!
Also buy yourself a aluminum hawse fairlead for $20 and replace the roller fairlead to use with the rope and strap. You'll never regret it and will have less headaches. Hope all this blabber helps.. The winch is a pretty good winch and was reversing itself because it was getting pinched on itself. It should be fine.

- 2012 SPORTSMAN 500 H.O -

-Polaris Fr+Rr Brush Bumpers.
-Polaris Fr+Rr Rack Extenders.
-Badland 3500 lb Winch, w/Amsteel Blue, Hawse Fairlead, and Hook Stop/ Fairlead Protector.
-Polaris Hand Guards.
-Tusk Heated Grips/Thumb Warmer.
-Ricochet A-ARM Guards (Fr+Rr).
-Kolpin Dually 3" LED's on Front Brush Bumper (floods).
-Cabelas Tac System ,Soft Rear luggage/Seat/Rifle Case.
-Rear Foot Rests/Fender Guards .
-Eagle Snow Plow,Belly Mount W/ 54" Blade.
-Polaris Xenon Bulbs in High+Low Headlights.
-ATVSS Detachable mirrors .
-Rotopax Fuel Cells - Two - 1 gal containers on Front Rack.
-Sedona Ripsaw R/T's (25-8-12 ,25-10-12) Mounted on ITP- SS312's. (12x7, 4/156/4+3) .
-Kimpex Fender Flares .
-Kolpin 3 Way Hitch.
-Foot Well Skid Plates with Attached Nerf Bars.
-QSC Clutch Kit.

Last edited by joyrider; 03-14-2014 at 09:32 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 01:05 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

You can buy the rope , hawse fairlead and also a rubber fairlead protector from kfi .
Sounds like you may have been drawing the cable up too tight when lifting your plow. You don't want to lift it all the way up until it stops or pulls tight on the cable. On the other hand when lowering the plow when it hits the ground stop letting the cable out.

- 2012 SPORTSMAN 500 H.O -

-Polaris Fr+Rr Brush Bumpers.
-Polaris Fr+Rr Rack Extenders.
-Badland 3500 lb Winch, w/Amsteel Blue, Hawse Fairlead, and Hook Stop/ Fairlead Protector.
-Polaris Hand Guards.
-Tusk Heated Grips/Thumb Warmer.
-Ricochet A-ARM Guards (Fr+Rr).
-Kolpin Dually 3" LED's on Front Brush Bumper (floods).
-Cabelas Tac System ,Soft Rear luggage/Seat/Rifle Case.
-Rear Foot Rests/Fender Guards .
-Eagle Snow Plow,Belly Mount W/ 54" Blade.
-Polaris Xenon Bulbs in High+Low Headlights.
-ATVSS Detachable mirrors .
-Rotopax Fuel Cells - Two - 1 gal containers on Front Rack.
-Sedona Ripsaw R/T's (25-8-12 ,25-10-12) Mounted on ITP- SS312's. (12x7, 4/156/4+3) .
-Kimpex Fender Flares .
-Kolpin 3 Way Hitch.
-Foot Well Skid Plates with Attached Nerf Bars.
-QSC Clutch Kit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode