Oil Tank plastic to metal swap out - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Oil Tank plastic to metal swap out

Today I changed the oil tank on my 2003 Sportsman 500 HO. I had a plastic tank that was leaking at the drain plug from an over-tweek by the previous owner. No way to repair it. I ordered an older aluminum oil tank, with all lines, on Ebay. (You can use any tank that uses the polaris part 5830053 gasket). I washed all the sludge out of it with gasoline, powerwashed it inside and out, and let it sit and drain and dry for a couple days. (I never split the tank). Then painted it with a nice high heat ceramic paint. It was pretty much a bolt in swap-out. The only alteration I had to make was to use a brass hose mender and extend the lower tank hose (which connects to the upper engine intake) by about 2-3”. Added oil, pinched off the breather for 30 seconds, and good to go. The pros are: no more leaks, far less chance of stripping out fittings, nice metal instead of plastic tank, looks nice. Cons: The oil filler is now up under the fender, which makes it a little harder to put/add oil to the tank. Easy to do and only cost me about $20. Worth every cent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Nice Job! Same thing is on my list for the wife's machine this winter. I have the tank just waiting for me to get to it.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427x Wheels. QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 03:19 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Didn't have the guts to not split my tanks. It was well worth the work considering how much sludge was left after thoroughly rinsing with diesel.
https://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...ad.php?t=39581

From orbit on my Android.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

Location: Burr Oak in the summer and ride my motorcycle in FL durring the winter
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by creature_keeper View Post
Today I changed the oil tank on my 2003 Sportsman 500 HO. I had a plastic tank that was leaking at the drain plug from an over-tweek by the previous owner. No way to repair it. I ordered an older aluminum oil tank, with all lines, on Ebay. (You can use any tank that uses the polaris part 5830053 gasket). I washed all the sludge out of it with gasoline, powerwashed it inside and out, and let it sit and drain and dry for a couple days. (I never split the tank). Then painted it with a nice high heat ceramic paint. It was pretty much a bolt in swap-out. The only alteration I had to make was to use a brass hose mender and extend the lower tank hose (which connects to the upper engine intake) by about 2-3. Added oil, pinched off the breather for 30 seconds, and good to go. The pros are: no more leaks, far less chance of stripping out fittings, nice metal instead of plastic tank, looks nice. Cons: The oil filler is now up under the fender, which makes it a little harder to put/add oil to the tank. Easy to do and only cost me about $20. Worth every cent!
Please clarify the pinching off of the vent hose (top hose in the tank). I have not read this before, what is being accomplished by doing so? Is this something you do for just an oil change? Please advise, thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:33 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948boat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by creature_keeper View Post
Today I changed the oil tank on my 2003 Sportsman 500 HO. I had a plastic tank that was leaking at the drain plug from an over-tweek by the previous owner. No way to repair it. I ordered an older aluminum oil tank, with all lines, on Ebay. (You can use any tank that uses the polaris part 5830053 gasket). I washed all the sludge out of it with gasoline, powerwashed it inside and out, and let it sit and drain and dry for a couple days. (I never split the tank). Then painted it with a nice high heat ceramic paint. It was pretty much a bolt in swap-out. The only alteration I had to make was to use a brass hose mender and extend the lower tank hose (which connects to the upper engine intake) by about 2-3. Added oil, pinched off the breather for 30 seconds, and good to go. The pros are: no more leaks, far less chance of stripping out fittings, nice metal instead of plastic tank, looks nice. Cons: The oil filler is now up under the fender, which makes it a little harder to put/add oil to the tank. Easy to do and only cost me about $20. Worth every cent!
Please clarify the pinching off of the vent hose (top hose in the tank). I have not read this before, what is being accomplished by doing so? Is this something you do for just an oil change? Please advise, thanks

You prime the system when you drain the oil tank and refill it.

You should also drain the crankcase.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:53 AM
Premium Member

Just draining the oil tank you don't need to prime. If you drain the crankcase too then you will need to prime the oil pump.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Hers: 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427x Wheels. QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Location: Burr Oak in the summer and ride my motorcycle in FL durring the winter
Garage
If one is good on their maintenance frequency is draining the engine that beneficial and about how much oil is being left in the sump by not draining it?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

I am pretty religious about maintenance so I don't drain the crankcase. It leaves very little oil still in the crankcase.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:30 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

The oil that comes out of the crankcase is usually pretty nasty even when it doesn't have that many hours.
Do what you like but I prefer to get rid of all the crud I can on every oil change.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Got it all out, seemed like 4 oz. came out. It did take me three times priming with the vent pinched off before I heard the telltail wisp of air. All is good and the 500 is good to go this season. Now the fronend teardown of my 06 800efi sportsman.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode