Kolpin Fuel Pack Leaks - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I have twin jr. fuel pacs, one on each side of my hardbox with cap up, much easier and safer than hoping cap will hold lying on its side. imho

Protect the 2nd Amendment; it's the original homeland security act!
Bio fuel is the future; bring it home to the American farmer.
2005 Polaris 400 4x4
frt/rear rack extenders
Warn winch
front/rear bumpers
temp gauge
reverse light mod
heel clicker kit
lock-n-ride windshield
lock-n-ride gun scabbard
lock-n-ride rear hard box + side bags full of whatever I might never need, plus

Occasionally chased by a small trailer with more camping gear... good grief

2002 Trailboss 325
Front storage box
Rear storage bag...

I'm ready for a

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

We had one older Kolpin that always leaked no matter what we did. Although, we never thought to use the Teflon Tape trick... good idea.

Anyhow, we replaced it with a Rotopax's a few years back... no problems.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 04:21 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to moxie1884
Rotopax makes caps and spouts which will fit the fuelCell. I'm not sure that will cure the leak problem, but, it is a option.

I actually moved over the the Rotopax 2 gallon twist together and they work great.

Terry

2011 Polaris Sportsman 850 XP
2010 Polaris Sportsman XP 550

Director of Mass ATV Assoc.
Member of: Acadia Area ATV'ers, Hancock Cty, ME
Member of: ATV Maine Trail Committee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 04:23 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Well I have a 4 gal on mine pop has a other on his and two 1.5 gal on my wife's. Hers are vertical so I was not worried pops and mine are lying flat on the front boxes.

Guess what... Hers leak like sieves!!!!!! Mine is perfect pops leaks a bit.

Further examination showed you must be careful on position of the spout. Its angled to clear internals and if tightened in wrong position it WILL leak every time! If your careful it seals well even under pressure from all day riding and sun exposure.

I need to contact Kolpin to correct my two 1.5 gal cans on my wife's machine. The spouts are different than the 4 gal cans.

One thing i will say is I LOVE how handy and easy they are to use!! They pour effortlessly the many handles in the 4gal help allot. This is the first "new style" spout I actually like!!!!

Check out this video on YouTube:

Sent from my iPhone

Mine

2015 RZR 900 Trail BLK. Pearl

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride 1/2 windshield
Lock N Ride rear box
Rear Bars, Dash Bar & Rear extension bars.
LED lights front, top & rear
LOTS more coming...

2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI SOLD

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Last edited by cwlongshot; 07-22-2011 at 01:21 AM.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 05:47 PM
ATV Enthusiast

i got one for my birthday which is in dec never got to use it till may and it leaked.sent kolpin an email and they sent me a new cap and spout and no leaks now,all i can say is outstanding service and support i was so happy i bought one of the new ones with there no leak spout and it is awesome i am very happy with there product and support.i also have one of thier matrix cooler bags and it is very well built.if u clean the zippers after every ride works great.have had it for 3 yrs now

08 sportsman 800,front and rear rack extenders
pure polaris bodyguard fenders protectors and hand protectors.3 light mod,rev light mod,rev over ride mod.
2" temp guage,tm2 progressor front spring adjusters.
weep hole snorkel
koplin matrix cooler bag and flat gas pack
28" zillas
1.5 superatv wheel spacers all around
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I broke down and bought a Kolpin 4 gal. I had read the complaints about leaks but the price was so good I decided to give it a try. When I filled it I thought 4 gallons was going to be to full so I put in about 3 3/4 gal and tightened it up. I decided to put it on the front rack of my daughters magnum 325. when I layed it doun and started strapping it doun I noticed it leaked. After I blessed it and my own stupidity for buying it I unstrapped it and took the cap off and reinstalled it as carefully as I could so that everything looked like it was lined up and straight and I honked doun on it as tight as I could and when I layed it on the rack again it didn't leak. We did a 140 mile ride and it never did leak. My daughter ended up rolling her machine (shes OK) and the can tore loose of the stupid Velcro straps they supply to hold it doun but it never leaked. It was a good 20 feet from the machine when I found it. even found all the stupid Velcro straps in the weeds. If it wasn't a fluke and I can get it to seal like that every time I will be happy. Looks like I'm going to have to buy the twist locks for it though. But that is going to have to wait until after I put her Magnum back together.

04 Sportsman 700 efi black and silver, Big Gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Black Rock wheels,Polaris(warn) winch and plow, 2 inch receiver, Filtermag.
08 Sportsman 500 efi Browning camo, Big gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Polaris(warn) winch, Cycle Country plow, 2 inch receiver, Black rock wheels,Filtermag
00 Magnum 325 not very HO green, rolled, wrecked and rebuilt,heated grips and thumb warmer, Filtermag.
88 Yamaha Warrior 350 my first
88 Honda Foreman 350 takes care of the yard work
91 Suzuki DR 350 solves the urge to ride wheelies and catch big air
05 Kawasaki KLR 650 scratches the paved road itch
92&93 Indy 500 EFI SKSs takes care of the need to get away from home in the winter
04 Yerf Dog spiderbox buggy was supposed to be for the kids but I find I cant quit tinkering with it
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Jim at Koplin, was nice enough to send me some new caps for my 4 gal. containers. They sent me the 2 piece black caps. They leaked right away so I played around with them and came up with a way that does not leak. I even have them sitting spout down in the garage all week waiting for them to leak.

Take the center cap and mount the washer to the cap. Over the the top of it. Then insert the cap into the fuel cell. Next screw on the cap. It will screw down tight, makes a seal and does not leak - as of yet.

Here are a couple of pictures of how they look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	4022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0579.jpg
Views:	1068
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	4023  

Todd H.
2011 Sportsman 850 XP Touring - XP Deluxe front & rear bumpers, Rigid LED euro-flood lights, Richocet a-arm guards and full skidplate, Viper 3k winch w/rope, custom made rear metal rack, Koplin fuel tanks front and rear, custom camping box carrier on the rear, custom LED turn signals, Garmin 62s, Koplin handguards, Odyssey PC925L battery, Autocomm 2-way communication system,
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:34 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I thought I had updated my posts on this... My apologies to Kolpin.

I contacted Kolpin and PROMPTLY received replacement parts and now NOTHING LEAKS!! I took them on my recent trip to Maine and they rode hundreds of miles, rocking and rolling along NO LEAKS! I would not hesitate to buy anything Kolpin makes!

Kolpin customer service is second to none!!!

CW

Mine

2015 RZR 900 Trail BLK. Pearl

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride 1/2 windshield
Lock N Ride rear box
Rear Bars, Dash Bar & Rear extension bars.
LED lights front, top & rear
LOTS more coming...

2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI SOLD

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Last edited by cwlongshot; 08-24-2011 at 01:38 AM.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:42 AM

I just mounted the Kolpin 4gal flatpack horizontally on the front box of my 2011 X2, and then spent 2 weeks on the continental divide in both Idaho and Colorado. The fuel pack never leaked a drop, and worked flawlessly. Initially I was concerned with it bulging due to pressure, but it was never a problem. If I had to do it over again, I would make the exact same choice.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I haven't used Kolpin products so I can't comment on them. I do have Rotopax fuel packs and have had no leaks with them. They have pressured up and swelled up to the point I thought they could burst but still no leaks. It was difficult to release them from the mounts as they got very tight when packs swelled up. I mount them flat on my front storage box.

2018 Polaris General 1000, Elka Stage 2 Shocks, 29" Tusk Warthogs, Polaris 4,500 lb. winch, Factory UTV Skid Plates, Dux Turn Signal/Horn Kit, EMP Cooter Brown Roof, Ryfab Folding Glass Windshield, Spring Brake Thingy
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn XT25, Iron Baltic HDPE Skid Plates (Mine)
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn Vantage 3000, Elka Stage 1 Shocks, Warn Mid-Mount Plow (Wife's)

2011 XP 850 EPS (SOLD 3,600 miles), 28" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD2 Wheels, Warn XT25, Ricochet Ultimate protection, Elka Stage 1 shocks, QSC clutch kit
2009 Sportsman 500 EFI HO (SOLD 2,600 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch, Cycle Country plow (Wife's)
2007 Sportsman 800 X2 (SOLD 2,500 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode