Badlands Winch Review - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

Badlands Winch Review

Well, used the 3500# Bandlands winch a few times over the last several days and it worked flawlessly.

Pulled my fully laden rig up and over some 50-60 degree obstacles without any issues.

The only negative I could say about it is that it is VERY slow. But that is only an issue when your ready to wind the cable back on the spool. Slow winching over obstacles is kinda nice as it's nice and gentle, not jerky.

I would definatly recommend one for the price its hard to beat.

Kevin (kemblkr)

2010 Sportsman 850 XP (Dark Green)
Koplin Overfenders
Polaris Front and Rear Bumpers
Polaris Winch
BlackWater Evolutions on 14's
Polaris Front and Rear Lock and Ride Cargo
Custom Bags on Cargo
Ricochet Ultimate Skid Plates
(Orange Anodized A-Arms)
Polaris Hand Guards
2- 1 Gallon Rotopax's in front storage

New addition: 2005 Honda VTX 1300R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 12:45 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
Nice review.... First hand experience from a trusted member is always good!

I haven't had much time to test mine out, but hope I can return with a similar positive experience!

Matthew "MustBeNice"

2012 SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED) Sept. 2015 ATV Of The Month
Mods: SuperWinch 3000 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Glacier3 60" Plow - Polaris Rack Extenders - Polaris Bumpers - LowPro Shield - Polaris Hand Guards - Warning Debadge - 3Way Head Light (Relay) - Cabelas Mirrors - Wes Ind. Std Seat/Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" Kenda BearClaw HTR Tires - HighLifter HD Springs - MotoAlliance Sirius 6" Pro LED Light Bar

2005 SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Mid Shield - Wes Ind. Seat/Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Mirrors - Polaris Bumpers - 25" Kenda K590 Tires - PVC Spring Spacers

2014 RZR 570 EFI EPS LE TRAIL (WHITE LIGHTENING)
Mods: HarborFreight Badland 3500 Winch - MotoAlliance Winch Mount - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Sport Roof - 1/2 Windshield - Warning Debadge - Rear View Mirror - Seat Adjuster - 26" Maxxis Tires - MotoAlliance Sirius 10" Pro LED Light Bar
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I have a 5k on my Ranger, been over a year. Most of my riding is deep mud and deep water, still works good. It is slow though and the cable sucks. I'm switching to rope this week, just waiting on the hawse fairlead.

There's gonna be somebody on this thread that will say "you get what you pay for" and "I'll only get a Warn or Viper", etc. I just want to put it out there that both Warn and Viper have failed me when I needed them most.

2016 Ranger 900 XP Crew Titanium Matte
SATV 6" lift, 32" Mudder Inlaws, Snorkeled, Full Glass Windshield

Gone
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 EPS
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 EFI
2011 Grizzly 700 EPS
2005 Yamaha Rhino 660
2009 Polaris Sporstman 500HO

Youtube-OleNasty79

Facebook-OleNasty79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Glad there holding up. I picked up a KFI mount off a dude on Craigslist for $20 and told the girlfriend I wanted the #3500 for my birthday can't wait
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 03:00 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

I have had a badlands on my Suzuki for 5 years and polaris for 2 this fall..and never a problem...the one one on the suzuki has been put threw hell....it was used for plowing and hauling logs out of the woods...and still works today as new...they are a bit slow but thats the gear ratio ..slow is good as if the chit is going to hit the fan on a pull you have time to stop..good winch for the money..they proved them selves to me

2002 Sportsman 500HO
1987 Suzuki LT250 4x4 The Beast
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 09:02 AM

Glad to see the good reviews on the Badlands. I have one sitting in a box waiting to install. Reading the instruction guide, it appears that it needs a 14 minute cooling down period after 45 seconds of strenuous operations. That's pretty concerning. If they are that slow, will 45 seconds be enough to extricate yourself out of trouble? Is the Polaris winch worth spending 6 times as much? How hard or easy is it to install compared to the Polaris which seems to be pre-wired in the Sportsman 570.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I used mine a lot over the weekend and didn't have any trouble with having to let it cool down. Guess i didn't read that lol. I though the install was real simple myself just basically running wires and trimming them where you want them and bolting the solinoid down. Get a KFI plate and throw the one in the box away
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmyallen View Post
I used mine a lot over the weekend and didn't have any trouble with having to let it cool down. Guess i didn't read that lol. I though the install was real simple myself just basically running wires and trimming them where you want them and bolting the solinoid down. Get a KFI plate and throw the one in the box away
I ordered the plate that's suggested Harbor Freight (think it's the only one they have.) Is the KFI plate different? There was not one included with the winch. Do I have to make a cutout in the grill to install this? Haven't put the winch and the ATV in the same place yet.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

My winch had a plate included but no way it would work without some more material. The KFI is made to bolt on to the pre drilled holes that are one our frames and then the badlands winch bolts to it. Much cleaner and easier install. You don't have to cut out the grill if you don't want to. There is just body clips that hold it on so you can take it off completely and it still looks good. I will post some pictures of mine after work for you
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:20 PM
IHI
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Nasty View Post
There's gonna be somebody on this thread that will say "you get what you pay for" and "I'll only get a Warn or Viper", etc. I just want to put it out there that both Warn and Viper have failed me when I needed them most.
How bought super winch, I've had/have 3 now and owned 6, granted 3 were in/on trailers doing car winching duties so not much use. ones on the toys, have been drowned in water/mud holes seemingly most times we ride and as always, we seem to require winches almost every ride (not including the work we use them for) but I'm a SW nutswinger just because I've never had one fail me...had a 2500lb unit that required a snatch block more than a few times, but that's because I was a moron and bought a 2500lb unit for an ATV that got stuck/helped other's get unstuck...but never failed/always and still do work.

On a side note I have recommended those HF winches since a few guys on here say they seem to work for awhile and they're cheap/disposable...nobody I know has ever bought one yet, but for all my cheap assed buddies I suggest them.

Last edited by IHI; 07-08-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode