Back brace/ Kidney belt - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Back brace/ Kidney belt

Anybody wear a kidney belt or Back brace while riding. I am looking for some support for my lower back. The last ride I went on I wore a old Gold belt kidney belt, that gave me support. its over 20 years old and didnt make it through the day. Time for a new one but was considering something that would help with posture as well as making it more comfortable to ride. Just compressing the mid section made my back feel good, and supported what is left of my gut, ( i did loose 40lbs!).
The ones from Fox, Thor and such, do they help with proper back position or just compress like the kidney belt I have.
Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

2013 RZR XP 900

Old enough to know better but, still too young to care!
http://s859.photobucket.com/home/cableguy657/allalbums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Glad to hear your riding again. I've been considering one of those. Seems the more miles I put on the bike and myself, the more I feel like I need one.

Con

2007 Sportsman 800 efi , L&R tall windshield, Viper Max 4000 lb. winch with 3/16" Amsteel rope by Atv Winch Rope, 25' Amsteel tow rope by Atv Winch Rope, RDC fairlead, RDC deluxe gas cap, RDC shifter, RDC overflow bottle cap, RDC 2" lift , 27" Maxxis bighorns s/w on Vision Outback 12" wheels, Uni air filter, Dalton o/bl primary clutch spring, front and rear brushguard, front and rear rack extensions, and a SanAngelo backrest
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Thanks!
Just worried as I am alive but my back is not as I hoped it would be. Doc said that I am 80 to 90%. Been hurting lately but not from riding, from work and such. Going to go to my chiropractor to get his assesment, and to see what I can do to improve. I have been doing what I can to get in shape and loose weight but...
with the back brace or kidney belt, I may use this at work and for play but not rely totaly on it.

I am trying to see what others think and what they have used to be able to ride comfortably.

2013 RZR XP 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

This is one I can help with!! Back about twenty five years ago, when I was kickin up roosts on my quad racer, I used a kidney belt all the time. The few times I didn't man did I feel it! I made the decision back then, I wouldn't ride with out one.
Now that I am back riding, (4x4 trail riding now) another kidney belt is one of the first things I bought next to my helmet!
Personally, I cracked a vertabre in my spine, back in 2003. (near 25% disability) For me using a kidney belt is the difference between my riding both days of the week end or not.

IMHO a kidney belt is a delineate MUST HAVE item for all riders. If you haven't tried one there are many out there for about $40 bucks. Small price to pay for riding enjoyment the second day out!! I don't know about the rest of you guys are age wise, but I am past forty and everything I can do to stay from getting too sore to function is a good thing!

CW
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Any particular one to get. I was looking at the Fox turbo. they all seem to be the same thing.

2013 RZR XP 900

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Pretty much yes, all quite similar. It's not so much a spinal brace as it simply keeps your kidneys from jostling around all ride long. Its amazing the difference in fatigue you will feel after using one.

CW

Mine

2015 RZR 900 Trail BLK. Pearl

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride 1/2 windshield
Lock N Ride rear box
Rear Bars, Dash Bar & Rear extension bars.
LED lights front, top & rear
LOTS more coming...

2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI SOLD

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:50 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Watch geetting one from a chiropractor. Mine tried to sell me one from a company called SPINAL AID. It is inflatable for more comfort and was priced at $900.00 altho he assured me my hospitalization would pay for it. Not this fat boy!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

My chiropractor told me that my pain is from my back being a little out of alignment. He said that he can fix that, after 4 visits I am feeling better. The crushed vertebra is here to stay and may cause me problems but nothing that I cant live with. the front of L1 is crushed maybe a half a inch or maybe alittle more. he said my posture is fine, so just a belt that compresses and gives me support is all I need, and to only use it when I feel I need it. Like riding or working.

I have been using a regular work back brace at work when I have to deal with changing batteries out in our power supplies. The batteries are 75 lbs each.

I am going to order a Fox Turbo belt or maybe a Gold belt. The gold belt that I have blew the sides out. It dont owe me anything, I had it since I was a teenager but with me loosing 45lbs i was able to start using it, but now its in the trash.

2013 RZR XP 900

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:11 PM
ATV Enthusiast

reply to back support

I have to wear a back support for riding. I have used kidney belts but find an obus form back support the best . price is better too!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode