Tire weight and size vs acceleration/power loss. - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Tire weight and size vs acceleration/power loss.

So with the majority of aftermarket tires, radials at least, being a good amount heavier than the stock setup, I was wondering where Power loss starts to come into play. In some setups your adding 30 plus pounds of rotational mass to your machine, are the advantages really that great to where guys want to sacrifice motor performance for the better grip of heavy tires? What do you guys think? I know some of you guys run tire setups that added quite a lot of extra weigh to your machines, I'm interested to know the pro and cons.

Also was wondering about tire height vs tire weight. If you have a tire that's taller, but lighter than a tire the next size down, which one cause the most loss in power or acceleration? The taller tire in theory should provide taller gearing correct, but the smaller tire weighs more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Power is useless If you have no traction,

2018 RZR XP1000 LE
2012 400 H.O. (wife's ride)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

Its a fine balance between traction, durability, and power loss. That is exactly why I choose the BH 2.0's and went to a 14" beadlock. I was able to retain most of my power lossed by the wheel weight and diameter increase with the addition of a QSC clutch kit. My traction was increased ten fold. The tire durability was also increased considerably over OEM, I would say with the 300 miles I had put on my stockers I had 20 plugs in the tires and probably every other ride I was doing a trailside clinic on tire plugging. So for me a tire upgrade was necessity and I had no choice but to get a heavier and larger tire over OEM.

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
2020 Outlander® 1000R XXC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp405 View Post
Its a fine balance between traction, durability, and power loss. That is exactly why I choose the BH 2.0's and went to a 14" beadlock. I was able to retain most of my power lossed by the wheel weight and diameter increase with the addition of a QSC clutch kit. My traction was increased ten fold. The tire durability was also increased considerably over OEM, I would say with the 300 miles I had put on my stockers I had 20 plugs in the tires and probably every other ride I was doing a trailside clinic on tire plugging. So for me a tire upgrade was necessity and I had no choice but to get a heavier and larger tire over OEM.

Good info B P. I would love the extra traction, but want to keep performance as well, so like you said a fine line indeed. I think I'll stay with 25" though.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 06:55 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
The traction is definitely worth the power loss. And I'm speaking from a stand point of little to no power to begin with. adding larger heavier tires to a 500cc+ machine is sometime not even noticed, but to step up in both size and mass with a smaller machine the difference in power is substantial. but I would never go back to the stock tires. I am able to crawl through stuff in 2wd that took AWD and a lot of body english and multiple attempts to get through with the stock tires.

Where the stock tires would spin, my current tires just grab and go.

for most machines there are clutch mods that you can do to get the power loss back and some times then some. Especially in the 500cc+ sizes.

The stock tires are ok, but I'll never put more than a couple hundred miles on stock tires again. There is just to much advantage to after market tires. My plan is to swap the current tires onto the 570 I'm getting next year. and throwing the stock tires from that onto the Hawkeye. Let me Step son run on those for a while before replacing buying a new set of after market tires for the 570 and moving the STI's back to the Hawkeye.

"There are no problems. There are only Solutions. It's your job to find the right one.

2017 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS
3500 lbs Polaris winch with Synthetic Rope
Front Utility Rack
ODI Rogue Lockon Grips

2007 Hawkeye 300 17HP of gutless glory
25" STI Black Diamond ATRs
Pure Polaris Deluxe front Brush guard
Pure Polaris hand guards
ODI Rogue Lockon Grips
4" LED on the pod
8" LED light bar on the front bumper.
Badlands 2500 lbs. winch w/remote and Kong winch saver.
Full Aluminum Skid plate and A-arm guards(custom built)
Pure Polaris Front rack extension
Quadworks Stage 1 power kit
  • K&N Highflow reusable filter
  • Quadworks highflow prefilter
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
The traction is definitely worth the power loss. And I'm speaking from a stand point of little to no power to begin with. adding larger heavier tires to a 500cc+ machine is sometime not even noticed, but to step up in both size and mass with a smaller machine the difference in power is substantial. but I would never go back to the stock tires. I am able to crawl through stuff in 2wd that took AWD and a lot of body english and multiple attempts to get through with the stock tires.

Where the stock tires would spin, my current tires just grab and go.

for most machines there are clutch mods that you can do to get the power loss back and some times then some. Especially in the 500cc+ sizes.

The stock tires are ok, but I'll never put more than a couple hundred miles on stock tires again. There is just to much advantage to after market tires. My plan is to swap the current tires onto the 570 I'm getting next year. and throwing the stock tires from that onto the Hawkeye. Let me Step son run on those for a while before replacing buying a new set of after market tires for the 570 and moving the STI's back to the Hawkeye.

I guess what I was getting at also is there a line where a heavier tire that grabs better actually makes you quicker by propelling you forward than a lighter tire with less traction that's more prone to spin or grab less. In your dig your ruining one of the tires I'm looking at, the Black Diamond ATR.

Last edited by Robooo; 12-15-2015 at 02:00 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 05:00 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

[quote=Robooo;572466]
I guess what I was getting at also is there a line where a heavier tire that grabs better actually makes you quicker by propelling you forward than a lighter tire with less traction that's more prone to spin or grab less. In your dig your ruining one of the tires I'm looking at, the Black Diamond ATR.[/QUOTE

Where did he dig the BD Atrs? If you are reading the part about the power loss, he is talking about being on a hawkeye which I believe is a 300cc machine. What size machine are you on Roboo? I have been looking at this a bit myself since I do not want to run the factory tires too much longer. I personally haven't had an issue with the factory Carlisle 489s on my 570 touring as far as punctures go and traction has been good, but being my first ATV I have nothing to compare it against. But my buddy's wife's ACE has had a couple of punctures and one tire had a slow leak. If you are sticking to the 25" tires, there are some tires out there that are not drastically heavier than stockers. However, I kind of think that you are sacrificing something to maintain that lower weight. Maybe in the sidewall? Of all the things I have read on the Black Diamonds, I have only seen one post that a guy didn't like them. I don't remeber specifically why. I have been looking at the STI Outbacks, BD XTR & ATRs, Kenda Bear Claw HTRs, and Carlisle Black Rocks. Regardless of what I get, I think the clutch kit will happen regardless of the tire weight. I haven't heard any reason not to do it, outside of money.

--------------------------------
2015 White 570 Touring EPS
3500 lbs Polaris Winch

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

[quote=CB73;572514]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robooo View Post
I guess what I was getting at also is there a line where a heavier tire that grabs better actually makes you quicker by propelling you forward than a lighter tire with less traction that's more prone to spin or grab less. In your dig your ruining one of the tires I'm looking at, the Black Diamond ATR.[/QUOTE

Where did he dig the BD Atrs? If you are reading the part about the power loss, he is talking about being on a hawkeye which I believe is a 300cc machine. What size machine are you on Roboo? I have been looking at this a bit myself since I do not want to run the factory tires too much longer. I personally haven't had an issue with the factory Carlisle 489s on my 570 touring as far as punctures go and traction has been good, but being my first ATV I have nothing to compare it against. But my buddy's wife's ACE has had a couple of punctures and one tire had a slow leak. If you are sticking to the 25" tires, there are some tires out there that are not drastically heavier than stockers. However, I kind of think that you are sacrificing something to maintain that lower weight. Maybe in the sidewall? Of all the things I have read on the Black Diamonds, I have only seen one post that a guy didn't like them. I don't remeber specifically why. I have been looking at the STI Outbacks, BD XTR & ATRs, Kenda Bear Claw HTRs, and Carlisle Black Rocks. Regardless of what I get, I think the clutch kit will happen regardless of the tire weight. I haven't heard any reason not to do it, outside of money.
Well that was some bad auto correct. I meant to say in your sig your running one of the tires I'm looking at....lol. But I have a 750 Kawasaki right now. I do like drag racing and stuff like that thus being a bit conscious of adding a ton of tire weight.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
The 570 will handle any 26" tire you want to put on it with ease, no need to worry about a clutch lit. The difference between a "light" tire and a good tire is usually about a total of 10 lbs. or less for the set, which makes zero difference to your atv performance. I guarantee you couldn't feel the difference with the extra 10 lbs. of rotating mass. You will feel a difference between the OEM tires, and any aftermarket tire. If you are worried about losing a little top speed and maybe a slight amount of acceleration, you shouldn't be riding a utility quad. You want speed, ride a sport quad.

2018 Polaris General 1000, Elka Stage 2 Shocks, 29" Tusk Warthogs, Polaris 4,500 lb. winch, Factory UTV Skid Plates, Dux Turn Signal/Horn Kit, EMP Cooter Brown Roof, Ryfab Folding Glass Windshield, Spring Brake Thingy
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn XT25, Iron Baltic HDPE Skid Plates (Mine)
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn Vantage 3000, Elka Stage 1 Shocks, Warn Mid-Mount Plow (Wife's)

2011 XP 850 EPS (SOLD 3,600 miles), 28" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD2 Wheels, Warn XT25, Ricochet Ultimate protection, Elka Stage 1 shocks, QSC clutch kit
2009 Sportsman 500 EFI HO (SOLD 2,600 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch, Cycle Country plow (Wife's)
2007 Sportsman 800 X2 (SOLD 2,500 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch

Last edited by bobx2; 12-15-2015 at 07:15 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx2 View Post
The 570 will handle any 26" tire you want to put on it with ease, no need to worry about a clutch lit. The difference between a "light" tire and a good tire is usually 10 lbs. or less, which makes zero difference to your atv performance. I guarantee you couldn't feel the difference with the extra 10 lbs. of rotating mass. You will feel a difference between the OEM tires, and any aftermarket tire. If you are worried about losing a little top speed and maybe a slight amount of acceleration, you shouldn't be riding a utility quad. You want speed, ride a sport quad.
Where I ride, we run pretty fast with a variety of machines, and do ice drags in the winter. I Found a good deal on the Beatclaw HTR I'm leaning towards those in the stock sizing. Even if they are heavier, the tread pattern looks excellent for snow and sand.

Last edited by Robooo; 12-15-2015 at 06:36 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode