'99 Xplorer Issues - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

'99 Xplorer Issues

Hi There,
I'm new to this site so I may be a little rusty at first, but here goes.
About two months ago I bought A '99 Xplorer 400 4x4 with a bad counterbalancer, and I just finished putting it all back together, but when I go to start it, it cranks over and runs for about two seconds then dies. I think the problem is either it is starving for fuel or air, but I'm pretty sure it's not air cause we have the air intake wide open. I also took the carb all apart cause I thought it might need cleaning, but everything looked good and clean and open and all, so i'm kind-of stuck. If you read this and can give me any advice at all that would be great since this is my first atv rebuild. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM
ATV Enthusiast

welcome to the forum, from one xplorer owner to another. did it run before you cleaned the carb? check for air leaks around the reed box and carb etc'. is there gas in the carb bowl after it quits. just a process of elimination.check the reeds, did someone work on it before you bought it? you never know on a used ride. check everything and keep us posted, good luck!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome to the board!

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Update

Hey,
I've checked everything and it all looks good, I did go and clean the carb out, and after that it does seem to want to start better, and I was able to run it for about 2 minutes yesterday but I had to have the choke at the half setting and I had to feather the throttle the whole time to keep it going so I think that i'm getting too much fuel and am just flooding it, so if you know how to adjust this please let me know. Thanks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

The airbox needs to be fully assembled. If not it will get too much air and not run right. Just another thought.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

The plastic is all off, but the air intake is all assembled with nothing blocking the intake tube. Sorry for the confusion
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Try cleaning the pilot jet(the lil one) next to the main jet. then try adjusting the air mix screw, start at 1 1/2 turns out.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:32 PM
ATV Enthusiast

is fuel coming out of the bowl overflow? the little tube on the lower rear of the carb. the float level may be out of adjustment. when the fuel raises the float it cuts the fuel supply off, if this is out of adjustment too much fuel enters the bowl, what can't get out the overflow goes into the motor causing a rich/flooding condition. remove the carb, get a piece of vacum line or hose that will fit on the carb supply,(where the fuel line from the tank plugs on), hose needs to be 12" or so. take the bowl off,hold carb upright(like it sits when installed, at eye level, needs to be level, gently!! blow through the hose while pushing up on the float. if it goes past parellel of the bottom of the carb that may be your problem. you'l have to bend the metal arm conecting the float to the needle valve. check your manual for the exact setting. the service manual explains this pretty well. if you don't have one i recamend getting one! good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode