New to forum, got a few questions on a 2017 850 SP - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:10 PM

Garage
I hadn't thought about the EPS I thought the same thing having never had it. Now when I drive my honda its like sitting on a rock with bad handling and suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:32 AM

Need Help!!!! Purchased a 2016 Sportsman 850 SP. Polaris says that the machine has normal backlash!!! It sounds terrible, I ride the atv hard, jumps, wheelies, just having fun. The warranty ran out while I had it in the shop. Whatever it is it's not normal, every time you accelerate or try to stand the nose up it grinds, no power loss. Is it slop in the driveshaft, or something to do with pinion gear?? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.! Thanks
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

From what i have read diff cover upgrade required only if running bigger than stock tires although there is at least 1 failure with stock tires.

I'm on fence for frame braces myself. I ride hard and fast but not reckless. I guess is fairly cheap piece opf mind

2017 Xp 1000 Sportsman LE Matte Cooper
2008 843cc Yamaha Grizzly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:28 AM

Garage
In my experience most times when a U joint has gone bad it presents as a clunk, the driveline slack I've experienced sounds very similar to a bad universal but I've checked them all and are good. Honestly if what you hear is grinding like metal on metal that is not normal. Is your 2016 sportsman used or new? Have you done break in service if new? If used have you checked your front diff fluid? I would start there and if your quad is used maybe consider a fluid change and check your drain plug for metal shavings while empty to see if your having any visual signs of metal on metal damage to the pinion gear. If you drive deep mud allot your regular fluid change interval on both differential will be significantly less.. I would check both to see if contaminated and consider fluid change on the problematic front that will be the cheapest way to start diagnosing imo.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 07:36 PM

I purchased it brand new. It was the transmission that failed I knew that it wasn't normal. The dealership really had the nerve to say that it was making a different noise!!!!! No dumbass it got worse! I drained the rear end and put a new belt, which didn't fix it. But whatever, it's being fixed under warranty, Thanks for the feedback. 850sp is definitely a beast! Only regret is that I didn't buy the 1000. I pretty sure it failed by jumping a terrace a few months back. Broke a tooth or something. I want know until I get home. Thanks again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Tags
2017 sportsman 850 sp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode