New to forum, got a few questions on a 2017 850 SP - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Red face New to forum, got a few questions on a 2017 850 SP

Thought I would post up and say hi.

I've been riding bikes and quads for years. Never owned Polaris before but I just sold my trusty ol' 2004 Suzuki Twin Peaks 700 and I have a '17 Sportsman 850 SP on the way. I've been lurking for a few weeks and soaking up what I can. I'very got a few questions for you guys so I'll probabky be posting up in the sportsman section. Looks like a good forum ya'll have put together here. I will have to admit, I have done my share of trash talkin against polaris over the years, usually to my buddies who I have had to pull back home, but it was all in good fun! I hope it doesn't come back to haunt me

I used to do a few hare scrambles on utes in the Mid East but my mid 40's have slowed me down a bit. Mostly ride HM in WV now days and that old SRA isn't cutting it anymore. Trading all that for a nice cushy ride and a sweet upgrade in power too. I just hope it lasts 13 hard riding years like my prairie did. Can't wait for my dealer to locate one in Radar Blue. Got her for $9,300 OTD. How did I do? Big shout out to Crossroads Polaris in Albemarle,NC. Driving an hour and a half to deal with them. If you hate to haggle and deal, these guys are no BS. Payden hooked me up.

Anyway, Ive got a few questions for you ...

Should I spend a grand on a 3 yr warranty from polaris?

Do the 2017's need the cecco braces if I ride fairly hard?

Is the pinion cover fixed on the 17's? Don't want to disable or remove ADC if I don't have to, but I don't want to grenade my front diff either.

Probably gonna clutch it for getting out of the hole a little quicker. I loved what Dalton did for my prairie, but you guys seem to like QSC so I'll probably go that route. I know it voids warranty on the clutch, but I'm probably do it anyway from the start.

THANKS! and howdy from NC

JR

Refined Beast in Radar Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:04 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Welcome JR!

I cant help you too much, as my unit is mostly stock.

But: I think you did do OK for that price OTD. ON the Polaris extended warranty- I was able to get my dealer to split the cost- I paid $500 for mine, and did it on a separate transaction after the machine was invoiced/paid (paid on the spot)

2016 Sportsman Touring 850SP
Ricochet Full Armor- Anodized Red
Rick Cecco Frame Bracers
Gorilla Whips - Silverback LED Whip
ATV-Guru Rear Bumper
RAM Mount- Use Polaris RideCommand App
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Thanks for that, I'll try to approach the warranty similarly if I decide to go that way. I am leaning towards getting the extended warranty, but have also read horror stories about lean ecm mapping and timing gear slippage not fully getting covered by Polaris. The dealer is also looking for other entities to warranty their machines other than Polaris which may or may not be a bad thing. I will have to bend his ear a bit more.

How many miles on your machine yet? Have you seen any evidence of frame deformation at the a arm mounts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:46 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR850 View Post
Thanks for that, I'll try to approach the warranty similarly if I decide to go that way. I am leaning towards getting the extended warranty, but have also read horror stories about lean ecm mapping and timing gear slippage not fully getting covered by Polaris. The dealer is also looking for other entities to warranty their machines other than Polaris which may or may not be a bad thing. I will have to bend his ear a bit more.

How many miles on your machine yet? Have you seen any evidence of frame deformation at the a arm mounts?
Hey JR,

I have 246 miles on my machine. I did a thorough inspection and noticed no warping or issues that I can see structurally. The only oddity I have experienced (other than 3 flat tires from punctures LOL), is when going through whoops (lots of them in the desert trails) if I push hard and the suspension in the front really nose dives- I get a sort of thunk- not so much a sound from bottoming out, but sounds like a gear box or other type noise. Its happened twice, but I haven't worried too much.

I do ride hard (trying to keep up with a buddy on a Raptor) but nothing structurally (knocks on wood)

Rick Cecco Frame Bracers
ATV-Guru Rear Bumper
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Man, my old bike made so many chunks and rackets I was horrified at first, but nothing ever broke in the driveline and that thing took a serious beating. I broke several steering knuckles racing ( my fault) and went thru probably 10 sets of swing arm bearings, but the major stuff never died.

Good to hear that you are not seeing any frame issues. Do you think the thunk was in the front diff?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I just saw that you are on a 2016 touring. I know your frame is a bit longer and maybe beefed up in certain areas. It would be nice if they beefed up the standard 2017 frame and front diff where Ricky Cecco addressed.

Does anybody know if the 16s and 17s are different? I know Rick says the braces and pinion cover will still fit the 17's.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I remember reading in a thread where somebody attributed a front end clunk while bottoming to the possibility of the axles moving in toward the diff, possibly reaching their end limit of free play. I think it was speculationot but seemed plausible. I don't think that would worry me too much if that's what's up.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:32 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR850 View Post
I remember reading in a thread where somebody attributed a front end clunk while bottoming to the possibility of the axles moving in toward the diff, possibly reaching their end limit of free play. I think it was speculationot but seemed plausible. I don't think that would worry me too much if that's what's up.
I think you are right on that one.

As far as the frames, I believe the 16 & 17 are the same except for the arched A- Arms. Time to hit this site to check

Browse

Rick Cecco Frame Bracers
ATV-Guru Rear Bumper
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:37 PM

Garage
I'm new to polaris as well I got my 850 sp a few months ago I'm at about 230 miles of pretty rough trail riding have yet to have any problems not running any frame braces. The only model with updated pinion covers are the highlifters I believe. My dealership ordered the updated cover from the highlifter for mine to be installed this week although it is still cast just beefier also being polaris will not void warranty. I will probably buy cecco after warranty is up! My only complaint so far are stock tires I guess. Also where your wires from head unit go down into the plastic it will rub and eventually looks like it will cut through.. I sliced some rubber tube and glued all the way around the sharp edge seems to have stopped the wear.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:06 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
Just picked up a 17 Sportsman 850 a few days ago, ain't had much time to ride because of work but so far so good. Like mentioned above the wiring below the headlight pod needs some attention. I plan on doing that tomorrow if the rain holds off. I came from a 08 Sportsman 800 that was pretty much bullet proof so I'm hoping for the same from the new 850. I don't really wanna upgrade the pinion cover or do the frame braces so I'm hoping I'll be alright as I mostly just trail ride, but sometimes do ride a little hard. The power difference between the 800 and 850 was surprising and nice, and the power steering is a great feature that until now I thought was in-needed...But boy was I wrong.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Tags
2017 sportsman 850 sp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode