New to forum w/ Bobcat 3400 utv - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

New to forum w/ Bobcat 3400 utv

Hopefully this is an ok spot to post, I have a 2013 Bobcat 3400 UTV but is made by Polaris and is essentially a Ranger 500. There is next to zero information on bobcat UTVs online so I thought I’d turn here.

It began starting hard and now won’t start at all. Key produces clicking but starter doesn’t engage. I assumed it was the solenoid so I bypassed it with a screwdriver and it starts right up. Assuming I had it figured out a ordered a new solenoid from a local bobcat dealer because I didn’t want to get the wrong one and after I installed it it’s no better off. I sill have to bypass the solenoid to get it to start. Does this mean it wasn’t the solenoid to begin with or is my replacement faulty? Any help is appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 10:10 AM
Banned

could be the starter gear going. known for that
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Banned

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

I took the new solenoid out and put the old one back in and when my daughter went to start it it fired right up. Now I am more confused than when I started this process! I am thinking that is it it is a connection related issue since the problem comes and goes. Anyone have a good way for me to start testing? Thanks!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:24 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I work for a rental company and we have 43 of these bobcat units. You need to check the crank wire from key switch to the solenoid.
There is also a safety switch on the brake pedal. Brake pedal has to be pressed for the starter to engage.

Check the harness going to start solinoid. Should have 12 volts when key switch crank position foot on brake. Oif not check wire coming out of key switch for 12 volts. Oif ok go test switch for continuity at foot brake. Should be easy to track down if you know how to use a multimeter

2017 Xp 1000 Sportsman LE Matte Cooper
2008 843cc Yamaha Grizzly
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkeggenhoff View Post
I work for a rental company and we have 43 of these bobcat units. You need to check the crank wire from key switch to the solenoid.
There is also a safety switch on the brake pedal. Brake pedal has to be pressed for the starter to engage.

Check the harness going to start solinoid. Should have 12 volts when key switch crank position foot on brake. Oif not check wire coming out of key switch for 12 volts. Oif ok go test switch for continuity at foot brake. Should be easy to track down if you know how to use a multimeter

Thank you for your insight. A buddy of mine suggested that it could be a break sensor but when I turned the key on (without starting machine) the break lights come on which led me to believe it may be something else or that connection is loose/corroded.

I will head back up north this weekend and bring my multimeter. I am not the best with it but I'll do my best to get through the steps you recommend. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode