2019 Sportsman 570 Utility - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By bp405
  • 1 Post By klipper
  • 1 Post By bp405
  • 1 Post By bp405

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

2019 Sportsman 570 Utility

My first ATV. Just wasn’t getting enough use out of the sled.
Took it for my first ride yesterday. Much smoother ride than I expected, that’s good.
Towards the end of my ride I decided to hit some 12” deep puddles at a higher rate of speed. Was fun but I sucked a little water in through the intake. Didn’t fully kill the engine, kept her running so I limped it the short distance home.

So I know I got some relatively clean water through the intake. Judging by the muddy prints inside the box I think my box drain is letting some blow in as well. Most likely throughout the entire ride. Not a great drain plug design. Loose fit, very soft rubber. Might hold static water but spraying water has considerable force.
A rubber cork from the inside would be a better upgrade
Any more professional upgrades? There’s not much room underneath the box for most upgrades I see on the web.

As for the intake I’m not looking for snorkels at this time. I prefer my vision unobstructed. Gotta wonder why Polaris doesn’t do a 180 with the intake and have it facing backwards. Would think that would help some without losing the height.

Also, what pressure are you rock guys putting in your front tires? I can feel the tire compress enough to hit the rim on a few occasions. It has Bear Claws if that helps.

Top speed of 50 + or - is a little disappointing but I knew it was geared down. Most of my riding is more technical than wide open anyway
If I figure out how to post a pic of airbox with Apple I’ll do so. Thanks folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:39 AM
Premium Member

Yeah that's common when blasting water at higher rates of speed. Water in the engine and clutch intake. You could "sock" those two intakes, frog skinz makes intake socks. I've never had an issue with the drain plug. What BCs are you running HTRs or 299s? I can understand your disappointment with the top speed as you're coming from a sled. But to get that low end grunt somethings got to give. You're only working with a 570 one lunger!!!! The only time the top speed effects me is when running with twins 800-1k. And that's like <1% of my riding do we get above 50+.
jo191145 likes this.

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
2020 Outlander® 1000R XXC (on order, ETA mid-Sept)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:10 AM

Similarly, I'm coming from the sled world and used to the speed of the newer snowmobiles. I bought a 2018 Sportsman 570 Utility Edition last month as well. Again like you, this is also my first ATV. I was disappointed in the top speed spec as well and wondering if I made the wrong move with the Utility Edition. Admittedly, I didn't do a whole lot of research, but wanted a machine for use around a 10 acre property. We already have tractors and mowers, but I wanted something to plow snow with that wasn't as big as a tractor so my wife and kids would be more comfortable plowing ;-), move smaller trailers around and do maintenance around the yard with.

The Utility was a 2018 left over and I liked the racks, bumper and tire setup. I live in Wisconsin and an extensive trail network is 4 hours away from home. I have a couple friends that ride ATVs on those trails. I'm usually on them with the sleds. From what bp405 said, maybe the top speed won't be an issue at all. Hoping the low-end power of the Utility Edition will be more useful to me on a day to day basis and I can live with the top speed.

At this point I'm not even sure what 50 on a trial feels like. I know what to expect on a sled, but not on trails with an ATV. Maybe others can chime in. Good luck with your new machine!
jo191145 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Thanks bp, I’ll look into the frog socks. LOL Never heard of such a thing but sounds good. I’ll have to look into the tires to see what series they may be.

Klipper no two trails are the same. I usually ran my 2015 Indy 600 around the state forest behind my house. Here in Ct there’s no such thing as a groomed trail. In reality it’s not legal to be back there with anything. In winter I was often the only tracks back there if the snow got deep enough. Everyone else heads north. I appreciated the solitude but most trails were very rough. Need a good quantity and quality of snow to do anything.
Running around some of those trails yesterday I was amazed any sled ever went through them. Lots of boulders your running over. Using every inch of atv ground clearance and sometimes that’s not enough.
All this to say I don’t know what 50 on a trail is like either LOL
I can do it on the improved dirt roads back there but didn’t yesterday. 60+ degrees had every Ct yuppie out for a hike. Figured I’d act like an adult,,,,,,at 57 it’s about time. And I’m supposed to be doing break in.
Few spots I could get the Indy up to 80 and then back off. Of course I usally didn’t have to worry about anyone coming around a corner. I’m certainly running slower than on the sled. It’s different but still lots of fun. Burying a snowmobile in a snow filled ditch is only so entertaining. Boulder bopping gets old quick too. ATV much better suited to the task.

Last edited by jo191145; 01-02-2019 at 09:46 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Tires are 229’s
Front is 25x8-12
Rear is 25x12.5-12

No problem with the rears yet. My obvious inexperience aside these tires seem great. I think these utility’s have a wider rear tire than the normal Sportsman. Could be wrong. Get the feeling I’m not overly stressing the AWD system
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Funny you never heard of frog skinz, they were actually marketed for sleds originally. For the same basic reason to keep the snow out of the motor and clutch intakes. With the BC 299's you could get away with 4psi, but 5psi is always a good base line to start from. Yeah your tires are nearly stock so no need to worry about the AWD system.
jo191145 likes this.

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Ricochet a-arm guards
QSC clutch kit
ODI rogue 130mm grips
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Walker Evans struts

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp405 View Post
Funny you never heard of frog skinz, they were actually marketed for sleds originally. For the same basic reason to keep the snow out of the motor and clutch intakes. With the BC 299's you could get away with 4psi, but 5psi is always a good base line to start from. Yeah your tires are nearly stock so no need to worry about the AWD system.
I’m looking to go up in pressure to keep the tires from getting squashed on the rim. To be honest I haven’t measured them yet. Life takes up a lot of time Just don’t like hearing and feeling that dead thud when a rock makes it all the way to the rim. I’ll lose a little of the Cadillac ride,,,,,,,maybe gain a little cornering stability?
Never had a water problem with the sled. Lean back wide open and just the track gets wet LOL
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

I hear ya. It's a balancing act with the tire psi. You get more grip at the lower psi 3-4, a more plush ride @ 5-6, and better cornering and less pinch flats on the higher end 7-8. But generally 5psi is a good baseline and you'll have to adjust it based on how and what conditions you're riding in.
jo191145 likes this.

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Ricochet a-arm guards
QSC clutch kit
ODI rogue 130mm grips
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Walker Evans struts

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Thanks for the help bp. Finally measured pressure today. 4 in the front 5 in the back. May have been near the recommended 7 in the warm showroom. No where to go but up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode