Just Bought a 2018 570SP - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 12:50 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by autosport7 View Post
I prefer saving aftermarket bumper money for other stuff, but a very popular manufacturer is Guru.
Hand guards I run Powermadd.
Depending on the terrain in your area I would strongly recommend tires and if you ride in cold weather, heated grips and thumb warmer.
Outside of those items itís really up to you but I find those items are minimum necessities.
If you ride mud, a winch would be a good idea. Iím not into ďmuddingĒ so I invested in a good all around tire so if I did find mud in my way, I wouldnt need a winch. A winch to me is just added weight.
A winch is good for so much more than just mud. There is basically no mud here in Colorado, but if you ever head up in the hills in the winter to ride, you had better have a winch, or a buddy who has one. I have also used it for more than just being stuck in the snow and operating my snowplow. Have also rigged it to lift the 5th wheel hitch out of my truck before I bought my new 56 lb. hitch. A winch is near the top of "must haves" on my OHV's.
I'm not a "mudder" either but a winch is one of the first things I always want on a ATV. We do, however, sometimes have to go through deep ones to get where we're going. I've NEVER had to use one to pull myself out but I've had to pull numerous other guys out. I regularly move downed trees out of the trail. I've loaded broken down atv's on a trailer or use the winch to cinch them up tight against a tow vehicle to get them out of the woods. Just last week I had to use the winch on my new machine to roll a full size Ranger back on its wheels after the driver ran up on a log in the trail and laid it over on its side. It was just the two of us and the machine was laying right on the edge of a narrow mountain trail. Would have been impossible to roll it back over manually. We even use them for fencing to keep the cattle where they belong. Those big inch-thick homegrown T bones are sure good out on the trail!
As for the added weight, if you do a lot of climbing in very rough, vertical terrain like I do, you are glad to have extra weight on the front of the machine. I try to keep a full Rotopax on the front as well for that very reason.
A good winch has lots of uses other than just getting out of mud holes. Only those who've never used one would think that's all they're for.
Its sorta the same logic as always having a firearm with you. You hope you never need it but it is very comforting to know its there if you do. I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!
I hear your points but for me and my style of riding, I choose weight reduction.
Iím not saying they arenít useful in many applications, Iím not even saying I shouldnít have one. I just choose not to.

2015 Polaris Scrambler XP1000
Red Bull Graphics Kit
Spider Graphix - Footwell Dacals
Mud Motorsports Gripper Seat Cover
Rogue Grille - Blk/Blk/Red
Pure Polaris Hand Warmers
Pure Polaris Thumb Warmer
GBC Grim Reaper - 26/9/14 - 26/11/14 on Hiper Sidewinder Beadlocks
All Balls Wheel Bearings FR/RR
ROX Speed FX Foot Pegs
CECCO Frame Braces FR/RR
CECCO Diff Cover
Uni Air Filter
EPI Clutch
Big Gun Exhaust
Moog SSB Upgrade W/ Custom Zerk
Powermadd Sentinel Handguards
Renthal G169 Grips

Gear
Leatt 5.5 V.05 Turbine - Helmet
Oakley Airbrake - Goggles
EVS Sport - Chest/Back Protector
OGIO Dakar - 3L Hydration Pack
Shift Recon - Pants/Jersey/Gloves
Alpinestars MXGP - Jersey
Alpinestars S-MX Air Carbon Mesh - Gloves
Alpinestars Tech 8 - Boots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:39 PM

I understand completely auto. Back in my dirt bike/hill climbing days I pretty much carried NOTHING. Couple drinks and a snack in my pocket along with an extra brake/clutch lever and I was good for the day. Light and fast was the order of the day.
Nowadays, I may leave the garage, go across the road and hit the ridge or across the hill and out the back of the farm and not come home for two or three days. I have to carry everything I might need during that time...gas, food, drinks, clothes and rain gear, camping gear, cooking gear, tools, chainsaw, tire repair stuff, towing/recovery stuff, toiletries and whatever else I might need while out in the boonies.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:59 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
I understand completely auto. Back in my dirt bike/hill climbing days I pretty much carried NOTHING. Couple drinks and a snack in my pocket along with an extra brake/clutch lever and I was good for the day. Light and fast was the order of the day.
Nowadays, I may leave the garage, go across the road and hit the ridge or across the hill and out the back of the farm and not come home for two or three days. I have to carry everything I might need during that time...gas, food, drinks, clothes and rain gear, camping gear, cooking gear, tools, chainsaw, tire repair stuff, towing/recovery stuff, toiletries and whatever else I might need while out in the boonies.
Man I’d love to be able to do that some day.
Leave on the ATV and know I’m going to camp out.
Only problem, I’d have to go with a group of peeps as no joke, I’m not ashamed to admit it, I’d be scared lol. Even with peeps I’d have a level of uncomfort.
I used to camp out when I was a kid for first day of trout, until some buddies who were camping out the same night in a diff location had a knife put through their tent as they were sleeping and were told to leave and not come back.
Carry guns (which I do) carry a grenade if you like, can’t do anything to protect yourself if everyone is sleeping.
I don’t trust anyone anymore.

Red Bull Graphics Kit
ROX Speed FX Foot Pegs
CECCO Frame Braces FR/RR
CECCO Diff Cover
Uni Air Filter
EPI Clutch
Big Gun Exhaust
Renthal G169 Grips

Gear

Last edited by autosport7; 01-03-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldbri View Post
Man, Atv Gurus makes some nice bumpers. Think Ill be getting a set of them. Thanks

Quick Update-Just spoke to John from ATV Guru and he was so nice and knowledgeable that I ordered a set right on the phone. He had them in stock and ready to ship. Can't wait to get these!!!
Oh man you hit the Guru lottery!!!! Those bumpers have been in the past made to order. Yeah John is a cool guy. Sounds like you did well. Wait until you get it .
autosport7 likes this.

2011 Sportsmanģ 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545

2018 Sportsmanģ 570-T
2019 Alumaģ A8818
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:36 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

I run as lean and light as possible.
I donít just ride to ride. I ride to conquer whatever it is i am riding and the trails Iím riding. I may be 37, but I ride better now than I did at 20.
This may sound absurd, but Iíd notice that 10 extra pounds on the front.

OP another must have is proper safety gear. I wear head to toe MX gear.
I had a 2014 Scrambler and totaled it with about 5 rides on it wheelie-ing through a rythym section when my rear wheel caught a tree at about 35mph. Bike rolled about 5 times and landed on me on the last roll. $5500 in damage so insurance totaled it.
I had everything except my chest protector on, guess what, the only injury I had was broken ribs.
I canít stress enough the importance of gear, especially if youíre style of ride is spirited in any way.

Red Bull Graphics Kit
ROX Speed FX Foot Pegs
CECCO Frame Braces FR/RR
CECCO Diff Cover
Uni Air Filter
EPI Clutch
Big Gun Exhaust
Renthal G169 Grips

Gear
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Man Iíd love to be able to do that some day.
Leave on the ATV and know Iím going to camp out.
Only problem, Iíd have to go with a group of peeps or, no joke, Iím not ashamed to admit it, Iíd be scared lol. Even with peeps Iíd have a level of uncomfort.
I used to camp out when I was a kid for first day of trout, until some buddies who were camping out the same night in a diff location had a knife put through their tent as they were sleeping and were told to leave and not come back.
Carry guns (which I do) carry a Grenada if you like, canít do anything to protect yourself if everyone is sleeping.
I donít trust anyone anymore.
You need to come down and hank out with me and my crew a few days this summer auto. I'll take you out and show you God's country and guarantee no one or no thing will bother you at all. I can show you some of the most beautiful country and secluded trails in the US along with elk, deer, a variety of small game species and if we're lucky we might even spot a bear or a bobcat! And as an added bonus, we rarely see another human unless we drop off the trail to a store for gas or a mid-day snack or something. We typically leave pretty early, ride out in the back country about 60 or 70 miles, find a good spot to set up, fry a big steak or venison loin or fresh fish and fixin's, drink a few, turn in early, and then get up early, fix big pot of coffee and a big country breakfast then circle around another way back toward home. I don't like running over the same trail twice during one trip if I can help it.
Around here and most places we go, so long as you respect people's land and property, don't be obnoxiously loud and be courteous to landowners and others on the trail you'll very seldom run up on a A hole. I'm actually affiliated with the KY Tourism Department as a volunteer for OHV tourism and trail development and several of us work as volunteers for the USFS maintaining their trails and fire roads. Most all law enforcement, USFS rangers, game wardens and land owners anywhere in the area know us and many are good friends of mine or someone in my crew. We pretty much have carte blanche anywhere we want to go and have gate keys to a lot of private land and USFS land that is otherwise inaccessible to the general public. We can summon emergency help very quickly too should the need arise since many of the same folks mentioned above also act in that capacity as well.
The only things we really have to worry about while out there is hurting ourselves, breaking our machines or the occasional critter that might try to sneak a tasty treat from our stash... LOL... and they'd better watch it or THEY will become the next tasty treat!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:00 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Man I’d love to be able to do that some day.
Leave on the ATV and know I’m going to camp out.
Only problem, I’d have to go with a group of peeps or, no joke, I’m not ashamed to admit it, I’d be scared lol. Even with peeps I’d have a level of uncomfort.
Carry guns (which I do) carry a Grenada if you like, can’t do anything to protect yourself if everyone is sleeping.
I don’t trust anyone anymore.
You need to come down and hank out with me and my crew a few days this summer auto. I'll take you out and show you God's country and guarantee no one or no thing will bother you at all. I can show you some of the most beautiful country and secluded trails in the US along with elk, deer, a variety of small game species and if we're lucky we might even spot a bear or a bobcat! And as an added bonus, we rarely see another human unless we drop off the trail to a store for gas or a mid-day snack or something. We typically leave pretty early, ride out in the back country about 60 or 70 miles, find a good spot to set up, fry a big steak or venison loin or fresh fish and fixin's, drink a few, turn in early, and then get up early, fix big pot of coffee and a big country breakfast then circle around another way back toward home. I don't like running over the same trail twice during one trip if I can help it.
Around here and most places we go, so long as you respect people's land and property, don't be obnoxiously loud and be courteous to landowners and others on the trail you'll very seldom run up on a A hole. I'm actually affiliated with the KY Tourism Department as a volunteer for OHV tourism and trail development and several of us work as volunteers for the USFS maintaining their trails and fire roads. Most all law enforcement, USFS rangers, game wardens and land owners anywhere in the area know us and many are good friends of mine or someone in my crew. We pretty much have carte blanche anywhere we want to go and have gate keys to a lot of private land and USFS land that is otherwise inaccessible to the general public. We can summon emergency help very quickly too should the need arise since many of the same folks mentioned above also act in that capacity as well.
The only things we really have to worry about while out there is hurting ourselves, breaking our machines or the occasional critter that might try to sneak a tasty treat from our stash... LOL... and they'd better watch it or THEY will become the next tasty treat!
“lucky”...? Uhhh riiiiight!!!
That to me be unlucky unless of course I were close to a door leading into a house!
We had a bear in my neighborhood back in June. Up until that point I had never seen a bear in real life outside of a zoo.
I hear about them all over here but as I stated, it’s rare to see one in person.
I wouldn’t sleep a wink knowing bear were around!
I would love to come down though or at least put a ride together at H&M where we could get together.
I love evening camping and morning camping, meaning sitting outside the lodge at night around a camp fire, cooking some dinner and waking up the next morning in a bed and going out to stoke the fire and cooking up some breakfast. Anything where I gotta lay my head down on the ground and am expected to wake back up the next morning on that same ground doesn’t sound so great anymore.
It’s not a too sophisticated mentality so much as a I’m a pussy in that regard! Spiders, snakes, bear, big cats, nutty peeps, just too much could go wrong lol.
Riding out your way does soud like a bucket list item so I’ll keep that in mind and do appreciate the invite. Thank you.

Red Bull Graphics Kit
ROX Speed FX Foot Pegs
CECCO Frame Braces FR/RR
CECCO Diff Cover
Uni Air Filter
EPI Clutch
Big Gun Exhaust
Renthal G169 Grips

Gear

Last edited by autosport7; 01-03-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode