Newbie with more Predator 90 questions - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Newbie with more Predator 90 questions

A few questions regarding my 2006 Predator 90 I bought for my daughter.
1. The factory tether doesn't work, I located the wiring harness from the dash and the two plugs are just hanging there. Where should they be wired too?
2. What type of oil should I use for the oil tank? I bought Lucas semi-synthetic low ash. Is semi-synthetic fine, or should I be using full synthetic? And not sure what low ash versus regular ash means.
3. Oil tank - seems like a lot of people eliminate the oil tank and pump and use pre mix. Is this better for the engine? If so, does the carb need to be re-jetted? It already has an FMF pipe.
4. Air filter- stock or uni-filter? And if stock, does it get oiled or run dry?
5. How important is the rubber shield thing that goes on top of the engine around the intake manifold and spark plug? Ours doesn't have it.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:52 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

1. The factory tether doesn't work, I located the wiring harness from the dash and the two plugs are just hanging there. Where should they be wired too?
They should be plugged into the wiring harness of wires with same colors (if it's actually a factory switch) - I attached the wiring diagram

2. What type of oil should I use for the oil tank? I bought Lucas semi-synthetic low ash. Is semi-synthetic fine, or should I be using full synthetic? And not sure what low ash versus regular ash means.
Use INJECTOR two stroke oil (synthetic or non-synthetic makes no difference, but synthetic smokes less because it does not burn with the fuel - down side is the exhaust runs wet and sometimes drips splooge) - oils have several different bases and ash is one of them - on rare occasions mixing an ash oil with an ashless or low ash type can cause the ash to solidify and can clog a filter. I don't think there is a filter on the 90's oil system, but it is best to not mix the oils. Just use the Polaris blue two stroke oil, Honda GN2 or any other two stroke oil labeled for use with injector systems.

3. Oil tank - seems like a lot of people eliminate the oil tank and pump and use pre mix. Is this better for the engine? If so, does the carb need to be re-jetted? It already has an FMF pipe.
I like keeping the injector system in place. It is convenient and prevents using the wrong fuel - just put oil in oil tank, put fuel in fuel tank and ride.

4. Air filter- stock or uni-filter? And if stock, does it get oiled or run dry?
Stock or Uni either is fine - both are foam and should be oiled after cleaning - clean with soap and water then dry thoroughly (don't clean with anything more aggressive than diesel fuel or mineral spirits) (gasoline will destroy the foam after a few cleanings and is dangerous to use) - oil with Uni foam filter oil or automatic transmission fluid - after oiling, blot as much oil out of the filter as possible - press between paper towels (do not wring) until only a few spots of oil is seen on the towels after blotting.

5. How important is the rubber shield thing that goes on top of the engine around the intake manifold and spark plug? Ours doesn't have it.
That rubber shield is a splash guard - not really very important - it's more important the rubber boot in on the spark plug cap for proper cooling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polaris Predator 50 - 90 Sportsman 90 2006 Wiring Diagram.png
Views:	16
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	115067  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Hey latebird, again, thanks for all of the info!

Yes, I too like the idea of using the oil tank injection, so it will stay.

Regarding oil, can I use the Polaris oil for our Suzuki LT80 as well, for the injection system also? I'm assuming it would be best to drain all of the oil in both quads and start fresh with new Polaris oil?

I just ordered a owners manual and service manual. I also need to fix the kick start, it is jammed.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:08 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

You can use Polaris oil in the Suzuki or Suzuki oil in the Polaris - both machines are made in the same factory in Taiwan - some parts might even be interchangeable.

No need to drain the tanks unless you just want to - run them till the tanks are near empty and fill them with whatever oil you opt to use - just make sure it say injector on the label.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Still working on this little 90, rebuilt the kick start and got it working great, added fuel filters, now back to the oil tank and oil. Since I don't know the history of the oil that was in the tank when I got it, I decided to drain the oil tank. latebird, you suggested Polaris Blue, which is a synthetic blend, so I bought it, but it doesn't state for oil injection anywhere on the container. Is it just known if its Polaris 2-cycle engine oil that its designed for injection systems?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:54 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Yes - all Polaris 2 stroke ATV's were oil injected

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode