carb fuel routing and surging - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Red face carb fuel routing and surging

HELLO! My name is Vern. I'm from London Ontario in Canada.
I purchased a 1998 Polaris Magnum 44 about 6 months ago and I've been fixing it up ever since. Got it at a good price(less than 500 bucks)
It looked in fair condition and I started to do some routine maintenance on it when I noticed why it went for so cheap. The front end was in bad shape.
I've basically rebuilt the entire front end and it's looking really nice.
when I first got it. It didn't run. It had been sitting under a tree for 4 years and was forgotten about.
I put a new battery in it, a new solenoid, cleaned out the fuel tank, changed all filters and sprayed a little brake clean it the carb and she fired up no problem.
BUT!!! I had to rebuild the carburetor, float was out of adjustment and fuel jets were plugged considerably.
I've run into a problem since I rebuilt the carburetor. the machine fires up but surges and I have forgotten where the fuel lines routing goes. I think I buggered up the fuel routing. Could anyone tell me the proper fuel routing and why it is surging. there is no throttle response since I've rebuilt the carb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:55 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

The fuel line from the pump goes to the carb inlet on the LH side of the carb - the vacuum line to the pump is to the nipple on the RH side of the carb - beyond that, there is two float bowl vents on the top inlet side of the carb and a drain hose on the bottom of the float bowl

Surging is usually caused by a lean condition - float set to low, fuel not entering float bowl baster than it is being used by the engine and too little fuel in the bowl will cause zero throttle response also

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience

Last edited by latebird; 01-24-2019 at 07:58 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:17 AM

If there was a bunch of gunk in the carb, the pump may be full of it too.
When rebuilding the carb did you remove/replace the pilot screw? If so, did you make sure to get the tiny O-rings and tiny washer reinstalled correctly? That can cause it to act really weird if they aren't right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:19 AM

Also if the carb diaphragm is not sealed good all around will cause issues.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode