New guy - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

New guy

Hi I'm from Oklahoma and just purchased three 2019 Sportsman 450's and one Sportsman 570, all base models and no options other than a winch on the 570 for around $21,500 ($425/mos). My first ATV was a Suzuki 230 I bought (with money I earned myself) when I was 14 or 15. After I got married, I purchased a Kawasaki Mojave but only kept it a few years before selling due to living in the city limits and nowhere nearby to ride. Now that I moved to a small neighborhood outside city limits, I can ride whenever I want. I also purchased a 20' trailer so my family can travel to new trails. We've been having a blast so far, with the only downside being that we spotted a nicer piece of property we could have purchased that would have included a creek with a tiny waterfall

I did not buy the extended warranty on any of the ATVs because I've saved 20-30k by not purchasing warranties on SUVs and Pickups over the past 15 years and never needing anything major fixed. Would it have been worth spending 4k on 4 extended warranties for these ATVs or are they fairly reliable? I plan to use Rotella T6 5W-40 oil for $15/gal and the appropriate WIX filter (don't know which part# that is yet) to save additional money with equal or better products. I need to compile a list of remaining lubes I need to purchase soon and find my grease gun very soon. Should I get a second grease gun for different type grease for different locations? I've read non-petroleum base lithium grease is what I should use wherever there is a poly bushing, but I'm not sure where those zerks are, I assume anywhere in the suspension that swivels? Do I just use a marine grade grease on everything else, or would that not be ok for hubs and shafts?

P.S.: I was unable to signup on the forum using Chrome on my S8+ and had to use my PC. A forum admin might want to check into that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:44 AM

Garage
Welcome Okie Dan!, I have owned a couple of sportsmans through the years and I would highly recommend to stick to the Polaris oil kits. I used Rotella and never had much from a problem perspective, but it does run a little hotter and started to knock when the oil thinned out through time. For the grease gun comment/question I have a standard grease gun and located the zerks on both the front and back arms, and use waterproof lithium spray for the rubbers at the shocks, swaybars, and bushings. Congratulations on the new machines. I am heading to OK in a couple of months to visit my daughter and bringing my machine. any recommended atv parks or riding areas in the east central part of the state?

2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring (aka. The Hog)
Superwinch 1130220 LT3000ATV
Custom Brush Bar
2 High output LED lights
ATV LOGIC SB-6B Tank Saddlebag
Blue LED 12-24V Car Motorcycle Cigarette Lighter Socket Dual USB Power Adapter
Kolpin Rhino Grip Xl Rack/Handlebar Mount
NGK (3521) CR9EIX Iridium IX Spark Plug
Titanium Exhaust Header Wrap for Motorcycle Exhaust Tape
2" Black Path Lift Kit
American Star Chromoly Steel Tie Rod Kit
2" Freedom Country wheel spacers

Riding Blog: www.yoroadventures.com
Riding Videos: Youtube.com look for yoro adventures or robertmillerstudios
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I just bought these and haven't planned a trip yet, you might check out this site to see if you can find something near your daughter's: https://www.travelok.com/atv_and_orv

2019 Polaris Sportsman 450 x 3
2019 Polaris Sportsman 570

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode