Hello I’m from southern il and have a 18 rzr 900-4 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Hello I’m from southern il and have a 18 rzr 900-4

I took it in today for the full service at 50 hours and they are telling me I need a new drive belt. I always use low when climbing or going through creeks and 90% of my riding is just country roads what am I doing wrong or is this machine just a piece of crap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:35 PM

Garage
The machine is fine, the drive belt is something that wears with use. Most frequent users will keep an extra one in their gear bag because drive belts can break with normal use. I am not sure of hours but have seen the one in our group have to change at least every two years. I would change it (this is user replaceable) and keep the old one as a backup. There are aftermarket ones that are for more heavier duty use which might give you more time. The big items that impacts belts is the break-in (done right or not), type of driving done (high speed use, climbing, mudding, etc.) and how often you drive with 4 passengers. Hopefully this helps.

2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring (aka. The Hog)
Superwinch 1130220 LT3000ATV
Custom Brush Bar
2 High output LED lights
ATV LOGIC SB-6B Tank Saddlebag
Blue LED 12-24V Car Motorcycle Cigarette Lighter Socket Dual USB Power Adapter
Kolpin Rhino Grip Xl Rack/Handlebar Mount
NGK (3521) CR9EIX Iridium IX Spark Plug
Titanium Exhaust Header Wrap for Motorcycle Exhaust Tape
2" Black Path Lift Kit
American Star Chromoly Steel Tie Rod Kit
2" Freedom Country wheel spacers

Riding Blog: www.yoroadventures.com
Riding Videos: Youtube.com look for yoro adventures or robertmillerstudios
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

50hrs seems way too early to need a belt if it hasn't gotten wet or been abused in some other way. How many miles?

We recommend the first service at 20hrs then every 50 after that so I wonder about your dealership. The machines come with the service interval set at 50 and we change them when the machine is delivered. If nothing else I would have them show you the old belt, compared with a new one and explain why it needs to be replaced. If they are good at customer service they should be willing to do this for you. Then if it does actually need to be replaced, maybe they can tell you what was happening that caused it so soon.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427x Wheels. QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stave7119 View Post
50hrs seems way too early to need a belt if it hasn't gotten wet or been abused in some other way. How many miles?

We recommend the first service at 20hrs then every 50 after that so I wonder about your dealership. The machines come with the service interval set at 50 and we change them when the machine is delivered. If nothing else I would have them show you the old belt, compared with a new one and explain why it needs to be replaced. If they are good at customer service they should be willing to do this for you. Then if it does actually need to be replaced, maybe they can tell you what was happening that caused it so soon.
Yep, 50 hrs. is pretty quick for a belt that hasn't been abused.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:59 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

How well do you know the dealer?
I dont know if your machine is a POC ,but If a belt goes in 50 hrs without abuse or Rider Error, Id look into the clutches.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

I had the first service done at 20 hrs but that was just an oil change and this is the full service at 50 hrs and no I don’t just this dealership that much but I do ride a lot with me the wife and my two teenagers but like I said always in low if off road or climbing but haven’t done a lot of that

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode