hello & help! - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Question hello & help!

Was cruising the web looking for some repair advice. Can you guys help? I have a used Polaris Ranger ETX (2015, I think). It won't switch into AWD, because the two wires that enter the front diff have clean broken off right at the diff, so I can't re-connect them to it. What do I do? Do I remove and replace the connector (or is it a magnet?) that's in the diff? If so, how??? And where can I get that part from? Please assist if you can. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

First I think you need to clarify what you have. A Ranger and an EXT are different machines. Ranger is a side by side and the EXT is an ATV. The 10th digit of the VIN will indicate the model year. If you have the VIN or write it down somewhere there are VIN search sites that will tell you what you have or you can call a dealership and ask them to run it too.

You can get parts from a number of different sources. A dealership, however they are usually very proud of their parts. Partzilla.com, Bikebandit.com and a few other places offer Polaris parts but you have to wait longer to get them. Some stuff you can get used, from Ebay or I use a salvage yard in Nebraska...powersportsnation.com

In your case, I think you are going to have to pull the front diff apart and see if you can splice the wires. I have never been inside a front diff so I don't know how much room is inside. You might have to replace the whole electro-magnet to get it fixed. I would suggest that you get a repair manual for your machine. I rebuilt the engine in my first 325 from a Clymer manual.

Sounds like you have an interesting project! Good luck with it!

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Question

Greetings, Steve! Thanks for your reply. I re-checked and it is still a Polaris Ranger ETX. It's 400cc, EFI. There's a two-wire connector plug on one end, and the two broken wires on the other. And the backlight on the AWD dash switch still works. So all I have is the two broken wires that need to be reconnected to the spot on the diff. Seems to me there should be an easy way to access and replace the part at that point where the two wires enter the front diff - without having to split the case. How is that electromagnet fitted???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:58 AM
Premium Member

Your going to have to pull the diff, open it up, and replace/repair the wires. That's it in a nut shell!!

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
2020 Outlander® 1000R XXC (on order, ETA mid-Sept)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:10 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Yep - the only fix requires removing and disassembling the front gearcase - not easy and can't be done quickly, but I would like to know what you are working on. A Ranger or an ETX? It might make a difference on the parts needed or the disassembly and assembly techniques. What's the VIN?

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:44 AM
Premium Member

Ok, I am not familiar with the EXT model of the Ranger line. Never saw one before. I put them together for a dealership so we must not have sold any.

It is a Ranger, the engine size doesn't really matter in this case and bp405 is on the money, you will have to pull the diff and repair the wires. Not an real difficult procedure, but it won't be a quick one. You will pretty much need to take the whole front suspension apart to get to the diff.
Most of it should be fairly self explanatory but you will be much farther ahead to have a repair manual in the long run. It will give you step by step instructions for getting the diff out, apart, repaired and back together.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

I was afraid you were gonna tell me that! Trying to do this on the quick and easy. Is it worth trying to "excavate" around the connection point with a rotary tool to expose the wires for a patched reconnect? I'm not happy that such thin gauge wires were used here. A little mud and a few bumps and the wires no doubt will simply stress-fracture off soon enough again. BTW, you guys are awesome!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

P.S. The VIN is 3NSRMA322FE368743.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

You, Sir, indeed do have a RANGER® ETX - SAGE GREEN in color, 2015 model # R15RMA32AA purchased on 11/30/2015 engine # 0120498303217 and the warranty expired 11/30/2017

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

No, do not excavate and half ass the repair. The front diff is pretty well protected in there behind the brush guard and all. So I would guess this issue is an isolated incident. Shit happens sometimes no matter how well we plan for everything.

The front diff has to stay sealed so if you dig around with a dremel, you could compromise the case and cause a leak. You are only looking at a few hours work here. They are not that complicated it just takes time to get into where you need to get. Do the repair right the first time. Worst case you will need to get the electro-magnet inside if there isn't enough room to add a splice. The splice will need to be sealed from the fluids inside the diff so maybe a solder joint and shrink tubing.

I would say you should be able to get this repair done properly in a day. Work outside in from the wheels into the diff and take your time. You can do this man!

2018 Kawasaki KLR650

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode