'08 Sportsman 400 HO - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

'08 Sportsman 400 HO

I just bought an '08 400 with less than 200 miles on it for my wife. She likes the Polaris and the 400 is a good size for her. This unit is practically brand new, the wheels are not even dirty and the tires have no wear evident. I am not familiar with the Polaris brand so thought I would start here and see if I could glean some info on this ATV. I have had good luck on the Honda site, I ride a Foreman. I have been playing with the Polaris this morning and it is a fun little machine, real peppy and responsive. First few questions:
1. What kind of engine oil do most of you use? I use 4 stroke suitable for wet clutch in my Honda.
2. Any issues or precautions I should look out for as far as the transmission?
3. I noticed two light gauge wires with connectors on the ends coming out of from under the head light on the right side, one is brown or dark gray and the other is orange & white. Any idea what these are for?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome to the board!

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Hi, welcome to the board!

To answer your questions...

1)A full synethic 0w-40 engine oil is best. You can also get away with 2w-50, 2w-40, 0w-30 full syn. oil. Regular car oil is fine, this machine doesnt have a wet clutch so there is nothing to worry about in that respect.

2)Do not shift at all while moving. You have to be at a complete stop and let the engine come down to an idle speed before shifting gears. Also, if you are going to be idleing more then a few seconds, put the machine in neutral. When you idle in gear, the primary clutch keeps spinning, but the secondary doesnt, so this causes excess heat and friction on both the primary and the belt, and can cause the belt to start to glaze, or even "hourglass". Putting it in neutral will allow the secondary to spin, while the machine still isnt moving, so there is no friction rubbing on either the clutches or belt.

3)Usually brown is a ground wire. Does the end not connected to anything? Is there rubber shrink wrap on the end? Does everything work? The orange/white wire is a 12v accessory power wire. It is not used until an accessory like handwarmers or a winch is installed, and that is one of the wires you could tap into to give those accessories power. So that one is normal to be hanging lose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, especially the transmission info since this is the first auto I have had. I have the habit of putting my Honda in neutral whenever I stop it so I can transfer that to the Polaris and will tell my wife to get in the habit also.

Both wires have rubber shrink wrap on the ends and they look like they go together so they may be for future accessories. Did Polaris put a spare set of wires in that position?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Welcome

2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
Boardwalk Blue
2500 Warn Winch w/ Synthetic Rope
Front and Rear Brush Guards
Rear Rack Extender
Glacier II 52" Plow

2013 Polaris RZR 570 LE EPS
4500 Winch
Front and Rear Brush Guards
Rock Sliders
Sport Roof

2009 Yamaha TTR-230 Dirt Bike
(Since Polaris doesn't make dirt bikes!)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

How about the shifting? Is there a way to make it smoother? Seems like you have to exert a bit of pressure to get it to shift. Is this just a characteristic of this transmission and linkage? It is not horrible but seems like it could be a little better.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode