2004 Sportsman 500 HO Rectifier. - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Question 2004 Sportsman 500 HO Rectifier.

Hello, I have two 04' Sportsman 500 HO that have battery lights flashing. I know they are over charging the battery so first thing I thought was the rectifier is bad. When I called the dealer they informed me that these models don't have a rectifier instead charge through the CDI box. Is this true? I looked in the location stated in other threads and sure enough there is what appears to be a rectifier in front of the radiator. Any help in clearing this issue up would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome to the board!

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:17 PM
ATV Enthusiast

On my sportsman the voltage regulator is in front of the radiator.

2008 500 efi, oem front and rear bumpers rear rack 2500lb polaris winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:20 PM
ATV Enthusiast

The regulator was about $120. If you look at, you can see why it costs so much. Theres no aftermarket part that I know of.

2008 500 efi, oem front and rear bumpers rear rack 2500lb polaris winch
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:07 PM

I had this exact problem with the same model. In mine, the issue was the "bubble packs" under the front hood, in each is located a self reseting fuse/breaker type item. On this online discussion someone made a suggestion and it worked perfectly. If the bubble packs are flat, or contain no air then moisture has gotten in and failed the breaker. I replaced mine with a simple in line fuse and the problem was solved. Please check this, it could be a simple fix.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:33 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Rectifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdocheng View Post
Hello, I have two 04' Sportsman 500 HO that have battery lights flashing. I know they are over charging the battery so first thing I thought was the rectifier is bad. When I called the dealer they informed me that these models don't have a rectifier instead charge through the CDI box. Is this true? I looked in the location stated in other threads and sure enough there is what appears to be a rectifier in front of the radiator. Any help in clearing this issue up would be greatly appreciated.
Your dealer was wrong - all vehicles that use an alternator for an energy source have rectifiers to convert the AC voltage to DC to charge the battery and supply the electrical system. Most modern charging systems combine the voltage regulator into the same package as the rectifier.

There was a difference in the units and location depending on the manufacture date of the quad. The early models had the rec/reg located in front of the radiator - the later models had it located in front of the fuel tank. The early models were referred to as the LR390-1 - the later models referred to it as an SSCB (solid state circuit breaker).

The LR390 module only converted AC to DC and regulated it to 14.8 volts to prevent over charging - the SSCB does the same thing, but also controls the fan, hot light and headlight.

If you have model A04CH50AA/AC/AE/AG , you need part number 4010670 - if you have model A04CH50AO/AQ/AR/AS/AT/AV/AW/AX, you need part # 4010937. The VIN tells the dealer what model you have - what are the VIN's and I can tell you what models you have.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:07 AM

First of all, how do you KNOW they are overcharging? Did you test them?
Second, 2004 was a change over year for the Sportsman 500. It all depends on the build date as to what configuration the charging/electrical system has. But as latebird said... the dealer is wrong.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode