Need help please! - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Need help please!

I have a 2004 700 sportsmans. We treid to start it after sitting all winter. We had a trickle charge on it and it almost started. When it wouldnt start we tried to boost it and had a few sparks from the battery. Still wont start now. And have no power at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Send a message via Yahoo to chopper89
IS it turning over and your not getting a spark. or not turning over at all. if its not turning over at all do a load test on your battery to see if its any good. take it to auto zone or napa they test for free. also ceck your battery connections for tightness and corrosion.

2014 850 XP EPS BROWNING EDITION
POLARIS 3500 WINCH WITH REMOTE
POLARIS WINDSHIELD
POLARIS GUN CASE
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR LOCK AND RIDE STORAGE
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR GRILL GUARDS
ITP T7 BEADLOCK RIMS
ITP 27 XTR TIRES
RICOCHET A ARM GUARDS

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

[email protected]

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Send a message via Skype™ to Parsons Synthetics
Welcome aboard. Great site for information and knowledgeable members.

Does it have bad fuel? Bad spark? If so, drain all the fuel, add bottle of AMSOIL Quickshot SE and replace spark plug.

Good luck.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Send a message via Yahoo to cam101311
welcome to the site!

1998 polaris 425 magnum 4x4
super swamper vampire tsl
3 inch lift
500 h.o. carb and airbox
plastic fenders and rack swap
relocated radiator
winch
custom 300 watt pioneer audio pipe!

1995 polaris 400 xplorer 4x4 R.I.P
1998 kawasaki 220 bayou
1998 e-ton 90
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

We did all that. We have absolutly no power to anything. We even tried a new battery. Still no power getting to the ignition. Put new fuses in also.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:14 PM
ATV Enthusiast

When you turn the key, do you have lights? The first thing to try is the slide switch on the left handlebar, the one that is on in the middle and off on both sides. It can get a little corroded in there, and if it's not in exactly the right spot, sometimes it won't work. Learned that one the hard way too..

You can try to lay a screwdriver across both terminals on the solenoid, but do it quickly and barely, to see if it will try to start. If it does:

Get a test light. Make sure you are getting power to from the solenoid to the battery. Did you replace the circuit breaker underneath the front cover? ( I'm assuming the 700 is similar to the 500). If so, see if you are getting power not only to it, but out of it. If you haven't, and are getting power to that breaker when you turn on the switch, you know the switch is good...if you're not getting it in and out of the breaker, the breaker is bad. You can buy them at an autoparts store, just take it with you.

If that doesn't work, see if you are getting power from the out on that breaker, to the solenoid. Hopefully you are if you replaced the breaker and the switch is good...if you get power all the way to the solenoid, and from the battery to the solenoid, and it won't jump by laying a screwdriver across both terminals of the solenoid, chances are your solenoid is bad. You can also buy them at the auto parts store, WAY cheaper.

If you have to replace the solenoid, make sure you keep track of all the wiring and where it goes. Also, you have to mount the solenoid to the battery base for it to be grounded..the solenoid will not work if its not...learned that on the hard way too.

I hope this helps..I know it's wordy, but we had a similar problem two weeks ago, and noone was really able to help us and we figured it out as we went along, kinda like this post....lol
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. After struggling with this machine for days on end it seems that the battery was cooked. Bought a new one and it fired right up. Thank god we didnt have to do all the extra work to get it running. We are happy quaders now
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 02:30 PM
ATV Enthusiast

It would have been helpful to know you hadn't checked the battery, after you said you did...it would have saved me a lot writing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode