Polaris ATV Forum banner

Won't start HELP ME

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  johnhud 
#1 ·
Started my 2008 Sportsman 500HO while in the back of my truck, backed it down the ramps turned it off. Tried to start it 10 minutes later, and nothing. The battery is fully charged, turn the ignition switch and nothing, it will turn over if you jump the solenoid but will not start. I cannot get it to pull start either. Any ideas?

#3 ·
Is the kill switch on?

(have to cover all the easy things first)

#5 ·
First let me say thank you for your input.
Kill switch is in the run position, checked the four fuses in front of the handle bars all of them are good. When the key is turned to the first "on" position, I don't hear the usual "hum" of what I guess is the fuel pump, but the display screen shows up like it should. Is there a safety switch or some kind of reset switch.

#8 ·
K. Since I don't have access to a service manual for your bike, does it have ETC? If so, check the air-gap inside of its housing on the handlebars. I wanna say its 1/8th of an inch, but check your owners manual for confirmation on that. I know if the gap closes while riding it'll kill the engine, it'll kill the pump and spark...so that leads me there for the next thing to check.

#10 ·
Let us know what you find out. Its gotta be something simple.

#11 ·
Check the gap on the ETC and measures within spec. any other ideas . Fuse, I agree it has to be something simple. I will breakout the multi meter and start checking everything in the in the ignition system until I drive myself crazy and then wind up taking it to the dealer.

#12 ·
Welcome to the forums!

#13 ·
OK, I feel a little dumb about now, it was a the 5amp fuse. I had only done a visual check of them up until tonight, and they all looked good. Tonight I put a multimeter to them and the 5 amp fuse didn't check, sanded each blade and put it back in, my machine fired right up. Again thanks for the input sorry for the waste time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.