new to Polaris ATVs - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

new to Polaris ATVs

Hi everyone, Im the owner of a Honda fourtrax but im looking to buy an old farm bike one of my childhood friends owns. the 2001 Polaris sportsman 500HO they bought new and it has gone through them growing up as well as a lot of farmwork. it wasn't used for pulling anything and it has never been sunk or flooded. they didn't maintain it very well and when it crapped out a few weeks ago they took it to their dealership they use for all they atvs and side by sides and they were told it wasn't worth it to fix the issues with it. they parked it in a barn to rot. my question is, like my Honda barn find, would it be a good investment to get it for next to nothing, put in my time and money to make it run properly or is it better off to let rot? Im very mechanically inclined and have a lot of time for that kind of work but im not sure of the quality of these bikes. My Honda was a wreck but it just needed TLC and it wanted to run. any info would be helpful. Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
In my opinion.... It greatly depends on what is wrong with it?

Matthew "MustBeNice"

2012 SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED) Sept. 2015 ATV Of The Month
Mods: SuperWinch 3000 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Glacier3 60" Plow - Polaris Rack Extenders - Polaris Bumpers - LowPro Shield - Polaris Hand Guards - Warning Debadge - 3Way Head Light (Relay) - Cabelas Mirrors - Wes Ind. Std Seat/Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" Kenda BearClaw HTR Tires - HighLifter HD Springs - MotoAlliance Sirius 6" Pro LED Light Bar

2005 SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Mid Shield - Wes Ind. Seat/Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Mirrors - Polaris Bumpers - 25" Kenda K590 Tires - PVC Spring Spacers

2014 RZR 570 EFI EPS LE TRAIL (WHITE LIGHTENING)
Mods: HarborFreight Badland 3500 Winch - MotoAlliance Winch Mount - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Sport Roof - 1/2 Windshield - Warning Debadge - Rear View Mirror - Seat Adjuster - 26" Maxxis Tires - MotoAlliance Sirius 10" Pro LED Light Bar
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

I don't feel that there was anything catastrophic wrong with it when it broke. I think it was mostly just a lot of small issues like wiring and battery and tires. probably definitely could use all the fluids change, spark plug and wire as well as some new wiring and connections cleaned. I just wonder if its like my Honda and will still keep running for years to come if I address these little issues or if they are prone to falling apart after a hard life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Well that's a dealer for ya', most likely trying to steer them to buy New.

How many miles does it have? If you think its only small stuff, I'd go for it. These are tough long lasting machines, the 500 engine is probably polo's best/simpliest engine. So yes it will run for years if you get the small things plus basic maintenance. There is much free information and advice on this site & for really tough stuff go to ATVConnection, under brand name discussions, post in Expert section seeking out OPT (old polaris tech). He really can help ya'. Luck!

1998 Sportsman 500 - 4789 miles
Front/Rear 18W-4 inch solid metal CREE LED Floods
Polaris 8" Rear Rack Extender
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
12.5" Kenda BearClaws on rears
2010 Sportsman 500 HO - 1417 miles 189hrs
Front/Rear 18W-4 inch solid metal CREE LED Floods
Tamarack 10" Footpegs
Polaris Front brush guard - bumper
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
Wants BearClaw HTRs for Christmas!

OPT is here: http://atvconnection.com/forums/pola...vs-ask-expert/

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Welcome to the board and go for it especially if you can get it for nothing tuff motor jgue498 hit it right on the head
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'm going for it. Will be posting pictures when I get it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Welcome. Looking forward to your project.

2014 Sportsman 850 XP Blue Fire
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 06:09 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome to the board.

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode