Polaris ATV Forum banner

05 SP 500 HO flashing "HOT" "Check engine"

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  NCRyders 
#1 ·
Hello Polaris guru's I'm new to the forum so go easy. I have a 05 Sportsman 500 HO that is flashing "HOT" "Check engine" on the info pod after running 15-20 minutes. I've flushed and cleaned the radiator inside and out. Has fresh coolant and purged air from the system.The rad fan comes on when engine temp reaches 180-185 degrees but then a minute or so later the pod flashes hot. Using a hand held surface temp meter the motor doesn't get above 190 degrees. I understand on this year\model the fan is controlled by the ECM module. Does anyone know... When the engine gets hot and the fan comes on.... if I shut off the motor and turn the key back to the on position (engine not running) should the fan come on until the engine temp gets below the fan cut on/off temp ? Think I have either a flaky ECM or a flaky temp switch. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry to be long winded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.