Pennzoil Platinum - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Oil, Lubrication & Filter Discussions for Engine Oils, Gear Oils, Lubrication & Filter, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Pennzoil Platinum

My nearest Polaris dealer is too far, so I've been looking for alternatives to PS-4. Where I'm at in Canada, it seems my options are not as vast as what I've seen across many forums. Looks like a lot of people are using Rotella T6 5w40, but at prices far cheaper than I can get it: $50 for 5L.

Canadian Tire has Pennzoil Platinum Euro Synthetic which comes in 5w40 for $33, and the manufacturer has a $10 rebate. So that is cheap. Has anyone used it?

On the same topic, the only filter I can seem to get my hands on, without having to order online is a FRAM PH6017A @ $13.
Or a K&N KN204 for $16 from Amazon.. Prime could get it to me in 3 days..

I'm hoping to get products that are as good or better than the Polaris branded. This is for a '14 Sportsman 570.. under used might I add. Some fall trail riding, mostly winter plowing, and a little work in the spring/summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:08 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

if ur not gonna use the OEM FILTER i would buy the UAP NAPA wix filter which is more expensive than the OEM oil filter.
I use Pennzoil platinum in my lawn tractor and snow blower and think its pretty good oil, does not break down with engine heat, but i put 5/50 in my tractor engine

2016 Scrambler 1000 xp
GSE single slip on muffler
Direction2 flares

2016 Sportsman 570 non ebs
Direction2 flares
ITP XTR radials
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

I am not an expert on oils. I use the Polaris branded stuff because the dealership is 10 minutes from my house.....and I work there.

I do believe that any synthetic that meets or exceeds the manufacturer specs should be fine for your 570. Maybe try to find one that is designed for small engines instead of a car, but other than that they should be the same. There are literally dozens of threads on the forum asking the same questions. Everyone has an opinion but there are those that have done quite a bit of research also. Maybe do a search and see what you come up with.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stave7119 View Post
I am not an expert on oils. I use the Polaris branded stuff because the dealership is 10 minutes from my house.....and I work there.

I do believe that any synthetic that meets or exceeds the manufacturer specs should be fine for your 570. Maybe try to find one that is designed for small engines instead of a car, but other than that they should be the same. There are literally dozens of threads on the forum asking the same questions. Everyone has an opinion but there are those that have done quite a bit of research also. Maybe do a search and see what you come up with.
I'm sure most of those threads are like mine; people who don't know enough to take general information from online and arrive at a conclusion. Ie. I've read loads of threads about different oils, but none of this oil in particular. If I were to try and come up with my own answer, based on what I've read, I'd have thought this oil would be OK. Countless people seem to use Rotella T6 5w40, which appears to be for diesel trucks, so I wouldn't know how this would be different. What am I missing?

I've read about oil's needing a JASO cert if it's to be used with a wet clutch, which I'm fairly certain these bikes do not have.

I'd buy the Polaris stuff if it was accessible, but right now I'm looking at $45 + $18 shipping for one oil change.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Just found out that Amsoil has a complete oil change kit for Polaris (PK2). Now I need to see if there is a Amsoil dealer close by that carries it. Can't seem to find it available online.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Any oil, 5w40, 5w50, 10w30, 10w40, 20w50 15w50 (which I use in my race engine) or 0w20 of any brand is fine - Polaris does not make oil, they buy it from a refiner, distiller or blender. Call Texaco or Penzoil, order 10 million quarts of oil blended to your specifications and tell them you want labels that brand it as Bob's Oil. After negotiations a convoy of semi's will show up at your door step with Bob's Oil ready for sale to the public.

What ever oil you decide to use, try to stick with it - it's not a good idea to blend you own oil, but most oils are compatible with others - when in a pinch any oil is better than no oil - it's a rare reaction when mixing oils results in an undesirable concoction, but it is possible.

If it's JASO rated, it's a plus, but not a requirement - JASO is approved for wet clutches, but it lasts longer in non wet clutch engines.

As for oil filters - anything but Fram - I would reuse an old filter ahead of installing a Fram - I use Hi Flo filters almost exclusively and I suspect K&N filters are made by Hi Flo (a Hi Flo HF204 is a KN-204) - $9 for a spin on in most cases - Wix and NAPA filters are fine also

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience

Last edited by latebird; 09-16-2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: I left out 5w20 oil which I use in my car and truck
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I couldn't bring myself to be the first to try it. I ended up picking up some T6 from Walmart for $47, and a HiFlo 204 at a Honda/Suzuki shop for $11.

The only thing the Honda/Suzuki shop had for oil was LiquiMoly at $16 a quart.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Ouch! Changing oil is expensive up there! Everything you mentioned is almost exactly double the prices I'm used to and I thought I was paying way too much.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Ouch! Changing oil is expensive up there! Everything you mentioned is almost exactly double the prices I'm used to and I thought I was paying way too much.
If you think that's expensive, you should see what we pay for beer! Almost $50 for a 24. Single tall-boys average $4.25/can.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:23 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketothesteve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
If you think that's expensive, you should see what we pay for beer! Almost $50 for a 24. Single tall-boys average $4.25/can.
That would encourage me to take up home brewing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Oil, Lubrication & Filter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode