Polaris ATV Forum banner

10000 mile fluid change

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  thumper1500 
#1 ·
The 550XP went over the 10000 mile mark over Memeorial Day weekend. Changed the fluids and everything still looked good. I have not changed the rear gearcase oil or the tranny fluid in a long time. The gearcase oil looked real good and the 5W20 oil I run in the tranny still looked like it just came out of the bottle. If I remember right it has been around 4000 miles since I changed them and now I will go even further this time before I change them. The Synthetic ATF in the front diff was pretty dark but still worked the 4 wheel drive just fine. It had been 1000 miles since I changed it. Went to Wal Mart and they had some Castrol 5W50 sitting there so instead of Mobil 1 0W40 I thought I would try something different so I bought a couple of bottles. They also had Castrol 0W40 and had new item marked on it so I guess Castrol has came out with some new oil. I used the Pure filter for the oil change. Everything is buttoned back up now ready for the next ride. The synthetic ATF in the front gearcase and the 5W20 motor oil in the tranny has held up very well from day one when I changed it over from the pretty Polaris bottle. It works just as good as the POPO fluid at a fraction of the cost.

Ronnie

#6 ·
lol I understand that, my girl friend is worried about her mover from Honda to Polaris because everyone around here gets Honda fever and says the Polaris will never last as long as the Honda blah blah blah. ill have to show her this post so she can rest her mind. she only has 700 miles on hers now lol

#7 ·
TXRonnie,

so you are running mobile 1 ATF IN THE FRONT DIFF AND mobile 1 0W-40 OIL IN THE ENGINE AND mobile 1 5W-20 OIL IN THE TRANS? WHAT ABOUT THE REAR DIFF? IS there a filter I can get at the parts store that will work instead of the polaris one? or am i better off with the polaris filter?

thanks

Brian

#9 ·
I run 75W90 or whatever is here at work for free in the rear diff. You can go to Wal Mart and get a Pure 14610 or 14612 oil filter. Both will work on the XP but one is a little shorter than the other and I use the shorter one. You can get 3 for the price of one POPO filter and Pure makes a very good filter.

Ronnie

#10 ·
I run synthetic ATF in the front and 5W20 in the tranny. For oil I have used both Mobile 1 and Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40. There has been a couple of times Wal Mart has been out of the Mobile 1 so I just got the Shell. It is as good as the Mobile 1. I am going to try the new Castrol Synthetic 0W40 in the 500 next oil change and do an analysis with Blackstone to see how it holds up. I have done one on both the Shell and Mobile 1 and they were always good and I expect no less from the Castrol.

Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.