Polaris ATV Forum banner

opinion on oil to use

36K views 155 replies 30 participants last post by  Kdwellssr 
#1 · (Edited)
Going to do my initial oil change pretty soon, and I'm debating between these. I was going to go with the Mobil 1 0W-40 100% synthetic, but was wondering if anyone has tried these others? I have read about the Rotella also.

Also, I'm thinking maybe the Mobil 1 5W-40, but what's the "turbo diesel truck" all about??? And the "European Car Formula" on the 0W-40?

Walmart had all of these in stock,

the Mobil 1 0w-40 is $27 for 5 quarts
Mobil 1 5w-40 is $27 a gallon
Rotella is $20 a gallon
Chevron 5w-40 is $20 a gallon

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

See less See more
#42 · (Edited)
Huge amount of calcium and no boron detergent. Zinc and phosphorous is on par with oil that costs half or less but almost zero moly and other common anti wear elements in the add pack...

Adequate but not great... No need to pay Schaffers racing oil price plus some for Mobil 1 passenger car oil.

From orbit on my Android.

#43 ·
Haha, there it is in black and white, from one of the most trusted testing firms out there, and yet already there is denial. LOL
Thanks for sharing an actual test result. I see no reason to doubt the protection you get from PS4. Again, this is a test of the ability to protect your engine, not a price comparison pissing contest. Since it offers good protection, I don't mind paying for it. It has nothing to do with my financial status, whether or not I care for certain sugary flavored drinks, or even who actually produces the product. It's about knowing that the internals of my engine are being properly protected. :)

#46 ·
Interesting how saying that it's adequate is denying that it will work OK...

My beef with PS4 is that it's too damn expensive for what it is. There are oils with more anti wear additives and better detergent pack for much less money.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

#44 ·
Knew it was going to be a pissin match Bob,........either way, there are the facts. PS4, ran for 51 hours

#45 ·
I am glad somebody tested it and it came back OK. I just wish they would lower the price or my dealer would and I would probably run the HD oil since I tested it before. Looks like your filter is doing a good job also. Have you changed the oils in your new ones yet Bob.

Ronnie

#55 ·
They are due now for their second oil change. Did the first at 20 hours and now have slightly over 70 hours on the machines.

#49 · (Edited)
I do plan on switching to Rotella T6 on the next oil change. Would have swapped to it this change but I had a oil change kit on hand, may actually have another kit. I already run the T6 in my Toyota, so it will be on hand anyway.

#51 ·
Meh,,......

#52 · (Edited)

Attachments

#56 ·
So I was at my dealer today buying an extended warranty (4 years, $525) and an oil change kit and decided to ask the service manager about using something other than PS4, and what warranty implications could result. His words, which I don't agree with, were this. If I hadn't been using PS4, with the receipts to prove it, my engine rebuilds on my 850 would not have been covered by the warranty. Legally I don't think that is true, however, I'm not a lawyer and can't say with certainty if I'm correct or not. I know many here have said they can't deny the warranty, but none of you are lawyers either. The only point I'm getting at is this. Had I not been using PS4, and they denied my claim, how much would it have cost me to lawyer up and fight them? It's easier for me to just buy the PS4 that costs a couple extra bucks per quart, and have no worries down the road.

#57 ·
Thats very true Bob, cuz most dealers and Polaris take to warranty claims like insurance companys do to their claims...find anything, anything at all to exploit and deny...then let customer fight and spend to make it right.

#58 ·
If they denied the claim I would start by showing them this

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

I think we have established that Polaris does not give oil away for free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#60 ·
If they denied the claim I would start by showing them this

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | Consumer Information

I think we have established that Polaris does not give oil away for free

^^^^^^^^Aint this the freakin truth

#59 · (Edited)
Going to do my initial oil change pretty soon, and I'm debating between these. I was going to go with the Mobil 1 0W-40 100% synthetic, but was wondering if anyone has tried these others? I have read about the Rotella also.

Also, I'm thinking maybe the Mobil 1 5W-40, but what's the "turbo diesel truck" all about??? And the "European Car Formula" on the 0W-40?

Walmart had all of these in stock,

the Mobil 1 0w-40 is $27 for 5 quarts
Mobil 1 5w-40 is $27 a gallon
Rotella is $20 a gallon
Chevron 5w-40 is $20 a gallon
Finally did the initial oil change, at 12 hrs/122 miles, and used the Amsoil 0W-40 synthetic that I had on shelf, and a Napa Gold 1358.
When I run out of my low stock of the Amsoil, I'm going with either Rotella, or Mobil 1 5w-40.

#61 ·
I have a feeling that a good lawyer would do a case against a large corporation pro bono if that company or corporation had violated a federal law, while trying to stick it to a consumer. Hell....that's the reason the Magnuson Moss Act was enacted in the first place.....and even if they didn't do a case like this pro bono....I'm sure a judge would order the company to pay costs if they were found at fault

#62 ·
My dealer knows for a fact I do not use POPO oil and they even said they will not deny it because you elect to use something different. They said to prove it they would have to pay for the oil to be sampled then pay to have the part tested to prove the oil made the part fail. You could probably walk into another dealer tomorrow Bob and get a totally different answer. Next time Bob have them show you in writing where it says if you use a different oil it is voided.

Ronnie

#63 ·
Bob, I stuck to my guns on using Polaris oil, I am glad I did.
I like these guys spewing the Magnuson Moss Act, that is laughable LOLOLO
And what, have your quad tore down in a dealers shop till your lawyer and Polaris come to some kind of determination?
I bought mine to ride, not sit at a dealer for months with out me riding it.
I pay 10 bucks a quart for Polaris oil, I will change it every 25/30 hours, it ain't going to put me in the poor
house, but a 3,000 buck rebuild might((((((((((((

#64 · (Edited)
LOL LOL LOL

A decent quality Group IV or even Group III synthetic oil, changed at the intervals you're stating, will protect the engine internals from wear well past the end of any warranty and they know it. The burden of proof is theirs. All you'd need to prove is the fact that you actually changed the oil at those intervals...
Oil choice is not going to drop your machine at the dealer for a rebuild as long as you use a decent synthetic in the right weight. There are UOA with near zero wear metals that prove it.

I refuse to pay $50,000 for a base model Chevy Cobalt when I can buy a decked out Impala for $30,000. :D

From orbit on my Android.

#66 ·
I believe an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I will more often get oil changes at the dealer (using OEM fluids) on my under warranty vehicles just to avoid the conversation.

My post was just in response to Bobx2's question as to what it would cost to lawyer up and fight it. In Michigan where I live it would more than likely be a small claims case anyway, under $5k. Big corps hate small claims since they cant send a lawyer and will have to try to push it to district court. Polaris is a big company and dealerships are not road side lemonade stands either. They know that they cannot deny a claim based purely on the use of aftermarket oil and would be very unlikely to make a claim that would be illegal for very long. On the flip side they do this all day everyday and would prob be more likely to use terms like neglect or failure to maintain in an attempt to move the burden of proof to you. Like I said I use OEM fluids and create an oil change paper trail at their dealership just to avoid the conversation. I agree with Mark I bought the machine to ride not fight about oil or warranty claims. I would be suspect of a dealership that is making (potentially illegal) claims that your warranty would be invalidated by using aftermarket fluids. The MM act is far from laughable and knowing it can help you in your discussions with the dealership because obviously if you can talk a service manager into putting it in writing that aftermarket oil is the only reason they are denying the claim it makes your case a little easier if you are in that situation.

#69 ·
A paper trail is important. If going to the dealership for parts and service is the only way you'll keep one then by all means pay them a premium for that convenience.
I keep a spreadsheet for each of my vehicles starting with the initial purchase to track what they are costing. I record all service that I perform including the stuff that doesn't cost me anything but time. I always include the exact parts I used with part #s and other pertinent info. I generally include the re-seller names and the invoice #s associated with any parts.
I have a file folder with all the invoices for each car but NCR paper tends to degrade over 3-4 years and I've had one of them for over 20 years... The dealer service pages and other receipts in the front of that folder are pretty much blank. Maintaining that spreadsheet shows what was done, on what date, with what parts, at what mileage and/or hours, etc ...

#67 ·
Wow,......what a mess.

#71 · (Edited)
Got both of these coming.
IHI, is this grease good for my bushings?
OOps, wrong thread:(

Attachments

#72 ·
#74 ·
Excerpt from Blackstone Test Labs pages: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/which-oil-to-

"You can go into any mass retailer (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Meijer, etc.) that sells engine oil and buy a 5W/30 (or any other preferred grade) that will perform well in your engine. One of the best-kept secrets of the oil industry is that these store brands are actually the same, quality oils that are produced by the major oil companies. The only difference between these products and the major company brands is the name on the container and about 50¢ a quart."

In other words, it IS all about the almighty dollar!

#75 ·
"You can go into any mass retailer (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Meijer, etc.) that sells engine oil and buy a 5W/30 (or any other preferred grade) that will perform well in your engine. One of the best-kept secrets of the oil industry is that these store brands are actually the same, quality oils that are produced by the major oil companies. The only difference between these products and the major company brands is the name on the container and about 50¢ a quart."

In other words, it IS all about the almighty dollar!
The only difference between these products and the major company brands is the name on the container and about 50¢ a quart."

Or in the case of PS-4....about $5.00 a quart or more

#76 ·
Like^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like, like, like ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#77 ·
rotella. I've used that oil in everything and I have done UOA reports many times. I used it in my old sportsman 700 from its very first oil change(and I beat the everliving crap out of that machine for thousands of miles), and will use it in my sportsman 1000 when its first oil change comes around too. I've used it in my trucks, work trucks, and even in race-built motors. The polaris stuff is good stuff, but so are many others...and you might be surprised to know they come from the same place. The polaris oil is made by Lubrication Technologies. This is the same company that is contracted by Ford, Honda, Toyota, GM, Mercedes, and Volvo for their OEM oils, as well as Castrol, Kendall, Mobil One, Pennzoil, quaker state, and Shell. They manufacture oil for all of these companies. It is also a well known and extensively proven fact across a great number of websites that Shell Rotella T6 is one of the best, most consistent performing oils in nearly any application you might use it in no matter how extreme. It even holds up extremely well against the 6.0 powerstroke, which is one of the hardest consumer engines on oil due to it using a high pressure oil pump to fire its injectors. It pressurizes the oil up to 4000 psi (under WOT) to fire the injectors. it also has to deal with protecting the engine bearings and all major internals, as well as the tiny spools inside of the injectors. I'm not endorsing the product or claiming its a wonder oil, but it certainly gives me absolutely NO reason to believe it wont take great care of the internals of your polaris.

#78 ·
Shell hit that one out of the park. There are other very good choices but the Rotella T6 5W40 is a darn good bang for the buck IMHO.

#81 ·
Hey scandle, I bet we won't see you calling this guy a fanboy.
Polaris for LIFE!
Hell no we won't, why, because he and you sing the same songLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
scandle, it must really bother you that I could care less how much Polaris oil costs.
Others see that your same song and dance is getting old.
I don't sign your welfare check, so you shouldn't care where I spend my hard earned money)))))))))))))))
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
You are such a dweeb.

#82 ·
Hey scandle, I bet we won't see you calling this guy a fanboy.
Polaris for LIFE!
Hell no we won't, why, because he and you sing the same songLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
scandle, it must really bother you that I could care less how much Polaris oil costs.
Others see that your same song and dance is getting old.
I don't sign your welfare check, so you shouldn't care where I spend my hard earned money)))))))))))))))
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
You are such a dweeb.
You are such a confused fan boy that you actually think you have more support for your beloved PS-4 than I do for advocating alternatives. Your right you don't sign any checks except to Polaris for your ignorance. And I really don't need you wasting your money, that way you could pay more into your Social Security account which supports me and any number of older guys on this forum....LOLOLOLOLOLL. So stop it. When you are drawing your:eek:wned2:again. SSI you wont want some snot-nosed fan boy wasting their money on useless shit either. You are beyond help in this matter so just admit your wrong and leave. Polaris will still make it without your donations to their fan boy pot. Rather be a dweeb than a brain washed fan boy....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

#84 ·
Shame on you for using Polaris oil.
You will be lambasted instantly))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

#95 ·
I wasn't lambasting anyone! Just stating facts. Yes, I am loyal to Polaris machines. No, I don't have any Polaris Tattoos. You are the one who made it a pi$$ing match. Since I am responsible for the upkeep of 4 machines (soon to be 5), I can get my money to go farther by using a good Ps4 substitute. I see nothing wrong with that. To me, it's akin to buying a good pair of jeans vs spending too much money on designer brand jeans. I don't want to nor need to. Simple as that. If what you do makes you happy, then that is great! Happy and safe riding!

#85 ·
Screw it,......i'm filling mine with KY Liquid!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.