Polaris ATV Forum banner

Help! Need a tune or programmer

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  1911Scorpion 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2016 HIghlifter Sportsman 1000. I purchased the ATV used and it had an HMF exhaust can installed. I have used the ATV a few times, and I have noticed it is a little sluggish during take off, runs hot (burnt plastic), and back fires a little when i let off the throttle. I am guessing I need more fuel, so I am looking for suggestions. Help me find a great tune or programmer I can install on my atv. What have you used, and how much did you like it?

#2 ·
I would contact HMF and see what they reccomend. I have an RJWC exhaust and they partnered with Dobeck to design the programmer and exhaust in tandem. When i ran mine without the programmer i noticed the same thing (slow, sluggish, backfires ALOT) but as soon as i put the programmer on(it came pre programmed for mine) all the sluggishness and backfiring went away.

#3 ·
I went to HMF website and they do not offer an option for my atv, but I am pretty sure the one directed towards the 1000 xp works with mine as well. I am looking for other options before I make a final decision. I contacted RVS and they do not offer a reflash for my atv yet. Maybe someone else does? Maybe theres a fuel programmer under 200$

#6 ·
Power Comander 5 with Auto tune.

#7 ·
I have just a slip on muffler with no programmer and a QSC clutch kit, 30in monster mayhem tires and it will wheelie in low or high..... My slip on muffler is a 5in round 2 chamber car muffler ($37.00) sounds great and modded to fit with little effort. No backfiring and spark plugs read perfect without a programmer, been running it this way for 2yrs now

#8 ·
Power Commander V (PC-V) should suit you well. Auto tune is a good idea as well, but you'll have to locate the electronics somewhere high and dry. Once you have established a good map you should probably be OK to remove the auto tune. Also you could just try a prebuilt map. I really like my PC-V

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.