Polaris ATV Forum banner

CVTECH primary clutches

12K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  FPD218 
#1 ·
Anyone ever run one of these primary clutches ? Have to replace primary on a 2004 sportsman 700 twin. They are about $200.00 less than OEM

#5 ·
Older thread but wanted to respond about the CVTech primaries... I put one on my 2011 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI about four months ago. Biggest thing for me is that the primary (stock) used to engage (start moving the UTV) at about 1500 RPM. With the CVTech it is more like 1900 RPM. The clutch was ‘calibrated’ by the shop I purchased it from, based on what CVTech had provided the shop. Anyway, I don’t like that it engages so late, so now I have to order another weight kit ($25) and goof around with that. Not really impressed too much. CVTech isn’t that easy to get a hold of either. Sooo, if I could do it again I would just do a stock primary, but it depends on what you are trying to accomplish I guess. I will repost once I receive and install the heavier weights in the CVTech.

#6 ·
So another follow-up to my CVTech Trailbloc primary clutch adventure. So now CVTech tells me to try another spring and hold off of the heavier weight installation. But in order to pull the CVTech clutch, I need a CVTech puller, cause my Polaris puller won’t work. So all in all, so far I’m into this for the CVTech primary, a CVTech puller, a CVTech weight kit, a CVTech belt, a free CVTech spring and I still don’t have a properly operating clutch. So if anyone wants my opinion of CVTech, PM me. And I thought buying from a Canadian manufacturer would be a good idea...

#7 ·
Just another update. Installed the new lighter spring and it works much better. Would be interesting to try the original heavier spring and the heavier weights but just going to leave it. Guess the moral of the story is if you are going to go with a CVTech primary, make sure you get some extra parts (springs and weights) so you can tune it yourself. Seems like a good and simple design otherwise.

#8 ·
I bought the trailbloc for my 2016 ranger 570 midsize and love it, but like you said it does engage to fast. I have 27” itp blackwater evolutions on my bike and ordered the clutch with weights for that size tire but found it engaging way to high. I ordered the stock tire size spring and weights and it much better now. It also responds much better than the stock primary. Very impressed.

#13 ·
I have a 09 GSX 1200. I got the PB80 from Cudney Racing some 7 years or so ago. It works great. I do not use the secondary helix, as it's a different type of spring and bangs when closing. I use the factory torsion setup. I am not a power user so I don't need to worry about maximum performance. I probably have 9k miles on it.

#15 ·
Bigger tires. The big bore engines typically engage around 1900, but once you change out those crappy little tires with bigger, heavier ones, it will bump up your engagement. If you want it to engage at a lower RPM, you will need to add a clutch kit. I would recommend a QSC clutch kit from RVS Performance. You give the the stats on your vehicle, how you ride and how you want it to perform and they will customize a kit for you. My 850 engages at 1600 RPM with 28" Mega's.

Reactions: Pamm
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.