NGK V Power or Iridium? - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Gonna put some new plugs in my 2014 800 and was wonderin if anyone has used the V Power plugs yet? Looking how they compare to the Iridium plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

And yes I know not really a performance mod.😁
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 05:45 AM

I'd just put the stock Champions back in and make sure the gap is correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:23 AM
Premium Member

I will say this the champions I took out at 2,500 miles looked great. The reason I changed them was the chatter on the forums about Iridium's being better. That and a buddy said he could smell fuel will riding behind me. Idk I never noticed it and after switching to the NGK's no more gas smell complaints.

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
2020 Outlander® 1000R XXC
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp405 View Post
I will say this the champions I took out at 2,500 miles looked great. The reason I changed them was the chatter on the forums about Iridium's being better. That and a buddy said he could smell fuel will riding behind me. Idk I never noticed it and after switching to the NGK's no more gas smell complaints.
Thats exactly the reason I was thinking bout switching them. Also maybe a lil smoother idling? I do this everytime I buy something used I change it out so its set for me and I know whats been changed etc. I was all set to order Iridum till I seen the V Power by NGK, sounds like could be a bit better plug? Do you recall the number of the plugs you got?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:14 AM
Premium Member

They were iridium IX. Only pic I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160322_085052914.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	115859  

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Ricochet a-arm guards
QSC clutch kit
ODI rogue 130mm grips
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Walker Evans struts

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 10:28 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I had a bad experience with Champion plugs and have shunned them ever since - a simple problem really, but frustrating and totally disappointing.

Many years ago I was prepping my 72 Triumph 650 Bonneville motorcycle for winter storage. I had mixed a little 2 stroke oil with the gas and rode it about 5 miles to get the gas/oil mix distributed throughout the system. I then changed the oil (no oil filter on the Bonnie), installed new Champion spark plugs, drained fuel tank, started the engine and ran till the carbs ran out of gas( prevents gumming up from stale fuel) and removed the battery. I put the bike in my basement (controlled climate) and forgot about it.

Come spring and I'm getting the itch to ride. I take the battery out of the refrigerator, charge it and install it into the bike. I put about a gallon of fresh high octane gas in the tank, turn on the petcocks, tickle (flood) the carbs (serves as a choke on older bikes) and turn on the key switch. The oil pressure light comes on and is bright and steady. I start kicking the engine over. The problem rears it's ugly head - the engine will not start........... It does not backfire, cough, sneeze or give any indication of trying to start, so I commence to trouble shooting.

I take the plugs out and look at them - they only ran long enough to run the carbs dry - I check the compression (good), I lay the plugs (attached to the plug wires) on the head and check for spark - good strong spark - I lift a plug away from the head while kicking - it throws a spark from the plug to the head up to about inch. Nothing wrong with the ignition system! I put the plugs back in a commence to kicking. Nothing! I take the plugs back out to check for flooding - they do not appear wet. With the plugs laying on the head next to the spark plug hole, I again check for spark. The plug on the left side is close enough to the spark plug hole that when it sparks, it ignites the mixture being pushed out of the plug hole. WOOSH! so I know it has an ignitable mixture!

I put the plugs back in and after about a minute of kicking with no hint of life, I resort to ether - still nothing. A friend comes over and watches while talking about going riding and finally asks what's wrong with it? He knows it has always been a easy starter and stone reliable, so I give him the rundown. He dumbly asks if I tried new spark plugs - I explain to him they are new spark plugs - just run long enough to run the carbs dry. He comments, then they are are not new, they are used.

Just to prove him wrong, I take the NGK plugs out of my Kawasaki KZ400, just run them in finger tight because I knew it would not start and I would be putting them back in the KAW. I climbed on, turned on the key and was pushing the kick starter to get the engine on TDC for a full stroke kick. Just as the engine went over TDC, it lit and sat there and idled. I couldn't believe it. I shut it off, put the Champions back in and kicked for about ten strokes - dead. I put the NGK's in and tightened them . We went riding and I rode all year on those plugs. I have not used Champion plugs since then.

A few years later Champion introduced "Copper Plus" spark plugs. It was then I delved into spark plug construction. I found Champion used a steel core while NGK used a copper core. Champion's new Copper Plus was a higher priced 'Premium' spark plug - it featured a copper plated steel core for improved performance and longer life. Why pay for a copper plated steel core when I could get a solid copper core for no additional cost. I actually prefer Nippon Denso spark plugs, but they are harder to find, so I use NGK.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:30 PM

Garage
Hey guys new to the forum, and new polaris owner. after i purchased my 850 xp i did a lot of lurking online and on this forum. learned alot!

so this is what i know from my little experience with my machine. had only 265 miles when i purchased it. it had original plugs, had k&n filter, but i soon replaced that with stock, as i read here guys had bad experience with dust blow by. already bought and fixed the Breather with 2012 parts, no oil in air box.

I now have 330 miles on it now. Changed to the NGK when i got it so mostly with NGK 6043 or ILZKAR7A10 plugs. I did change out to new set of CHAMPION REA8MCX for a few rides and plowing to see the difference and i did notice with the Champions in the machine it seamed to want to stall out more often when it would idil while i changed the angle of the plow or just idiling. Then i put a new fresh set of NGK's back in and it seams to run so much smoother and a little more power. But i know small sample size, i mostly ride around my lake, Plowing and dear stand running. I like the NGK's alot better.

2010 Sportsman XP 850 LE Browning Ed
Factory Heated Grips & Throttle
Pure Polaris Warn Winch 3000lbs
Warn Synthetic Rope
Polaris F&R Brush Guards
Lock & Ride Rear Cargo box
Lock & Ride Tall Windsheild
Rear view mirrors
Cecca Frame braces
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Well to your point what ever the NGK's do better then the Champions was proven on the 2009-2012 850's!!!!!

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Ricochet a-arm guards
QSC clutch kit
ODI rogue 130mm grips
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Walker Evans struts

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 04:25 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Latebird, I got to ask
"I take the battery out of the refrigerator,"
Do you know something about battery storage that I dont?
I store mine in the basement on a block of wood-not on the bare concrete floor as far away from the furnace and pilot lights as possible.
Interesting note-I had a gas monitor in the basement on the charger near the battery and when I turned it on the H2S alarm went off???? The battery off gassing I gues.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode