1996 400 Sport Max Bore Size - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

1Likes
  • 1 Post By latebird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

1996 400 Sport Max Bore Size

I have a 96 Sportsman. It has been bored out. I measured the jug tonight. It's 3.331". Isn't that a bit large for a stock cylinder? I'm familiar with cars, not motorcycles. By my math it's roughly 0.060" over. Also, what kind of rings do y'all recommend. If it was a street car I'd want moly rings, but since it's a 2 stroke I'm thinking ductile iron would be better. Again, this is my first forray into the 2 stroke world. I guess this is my midlife crisis. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:18 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

85 mm - 2 mm over stock (3.346 inches) is the maximum bore using a Wiseco piston with TD rings (Alloy steel, ferrox coated, chrome faced)

By your measurement 3.331" (84.61 mm) - the cylinder is already worn very close to the wear limit of .60" (.15 mm)

Two stroke pistons are usually sized in .5mm (.020") oversizes

Your choice is to bore to 85 mm and install a new piston set or have the cylinder sleeved back to stock and install a new 83 mm piston or have the cylinder sleeved, bored to 84.5 mm and reuse the piston with a new set of rings. The problem with the last suggestion is finding rings for the piston you have. If it's a Wiseco piston, just get a set of Wiseco rings that match the bore. If it's a Polaris (Robin) piston, good luck finding rings - Polaris has discontinued all sizes. The rings usually have to match the piston. I know you cant install Polaris rings on a Wiseco piston while Wiseco rings may go on a Polaris piston, there will be excessive clearance on the lands and sealing will be poor which can lead to poor running at certain or all engine speeds.
JimKim likes this.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
85 mm - 2 mm over stock (3.346 inches) is the maximum bore using a Wiseco piston with TD rings (Alloy steel, ferrox coated, chrome faced)

By your measurement 3.331" (84.61 mm) - the cylinder is already worn very close to the wear limit of .60" (.15 mm)

Two stroke pistons are usually sized in .5mm (.020") oversizes

Your choice is to bore to 85 mm and install a new piston set or have the cylinder sleeved back to stock and install a new 83 mm piston or have the cylinder sleeved, bored to 84.5 mm and reuse the piston with a new set of rings. The problem with the last suggestion is finding rings for the piston you have. If it's a Wiseco piston, just get a set of Wiseco rings that match the bore. If it's a Polaris (Robin) piston, good luck finding rings - Polaris has discontinued all sizes. The rings usually have to match the piston. I know you cant install Polaris rings on a Wiseco piston while Wiseco rings may go on a Polaris piston, there will be excessive clearance on the lands and sealing will be poor which can lead to poor running at certain or all engine speeds.
Luckily I have access to a handtool that is used to cut grooves in pistons. I'm guessing it's called a grooving tool.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in