Exhaust wrap - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust wrap

My '08 800 is a blast to ride. I absolutely love it, however, the heat coming off of the exhaust is insane. It's not melting plastic but it is definitely hotter on the exhaust side of the machine.

Would it hurt anything to wrap at least the front part of the exhaust in "header tape?" I'm not sure how it would hold up constantly getting wet and don't mind replacing it every couple years if necessary but don't want to push heat down the line and have issues further back.

Has anyone tried this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:52 AM

I've run wrap on my 06 for several years and it helps some but isn't very durable. I've seen were some guys send them out to have them ceramic coated.
I'm in the process of a complete rebuild and make over of my old 800 since I have something else to ride now. I've been looking at Eastwood high temp ceramic coating while I have the machine all apart. The coating is made for the INSIDE of headers and pipes and is applied with a 360* nozzle and hose. Its supposed to substantially reduce heat transfer to the outside of the metal. It can also be used on the outside according to Eastwood but is specifically intended for inside the pipe.
I think I'm going to do that to mine as part of the make over. I'm still undecided if I'll also use it outside or just use their regular high temp stuff on the outside.
Maybe some of these guys who've actually done it or had it done will chime in with comments???

Here's a link:
https://www.eastwood.com/paints/hi-t...ne-paints.html

LOL, had to edit. Had the wrong link

Last edited by polman500; 09-07-2019 at 09:54 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

Another issue with the header wrap aside from it not holding up to Offroading conditions is it significantly reduces the pipes life. Basically roots them fast. Ceramic coating inside and out is the way to go.

Polman you're making me second guess whether or not I should coat mine.

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
2020 Outlander® 1000R XXC (on order, ETA mid-Sept)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp405 View Post
Another issue with the header wrap aside from it not holding up to Offroading conditions is it significantly reduces the pipes life. Basically roots them fast. Ceramic coating inside and out is the way to go.

Polman you're making me second guess whether or not I should coat mine.
Yeah, exhaust heat is a major problem with the 800s. I'm going to do something along those lines since I have it all apart anyway. Do you some reading on Eastwood's site. You need to use the rust dissolver to prep them before coating. There's also other types of exhaust treatments like high temp powder coats and things I think. I'm still sorta researching options right now. I haven't looked into any professionally done options yet. I'm hoping some of the car racing guys or others with real world experience might speak up and comment.
Looks like your machine has the two-into-one manifold and single silencer. Mine has a dual pipe header that goes into one about midway back beside the seat with dual silencers. I've often wondered what the pros and cons are of the two different types of exhaust other than cost and weight savings??
How about it latebird… care to comment?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I had a Can-Am and they were great for running hot. Problem was Can-AM did not bring the fan on till temp reached 195 and off at 180. We installed temp controller units to bring the fan on at 140 and no more problems of heat in the exhaust system.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPo3 View Post
I had a Can-Am and they were great for running hot. Problem was Can-AM did not bring the fan on till temp reached 195 and off at 180. We installed temp controller units to bring the fan on at 140 and no more problems of heat in the exhaust system.
I take it from your reply that you've never ridden a Sportsman 800 in hot weather... It's when the fan kicks on forcing the heat across the header and out the side of the plastics on your right leg that it get's so bad you have move your foot up on the fender or it'll burst into flames lol.
Feels great in the winter but sucks in the summer.
You also have to be careful when wearing a rain suit or you'll melt the leg off before you notice it... Don't ask me how I know this lol
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:12 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPo3 View Post
I take it from your reply that you've never ridden a Sportsman 800 in hot weather... It's when the fan kicks on forcing the heat across the header and out the side of the plastics on your right leg that it get's so bad you have move your foot up on the fender or it'll burst into flames lol.
Feels great in the winter but sucks in the summer.
You also have to be careful when wearing a rain suit or you'll melt the leg off before you notice it... Don't ask me how I know this lol

I take it from your reply that you've never ridden a CanAm 650 or 850. CanAm left the engine temp to get up to 195 before they brought the fan on. You were blowing 195-degree air across your leg. When you brought the fan on at 140 degrees the temp was reduced and when mixed with the amban air temp the problem was gone.
There were many that thought like you but they soon learned and they also started to reduce the engine temp.
Get rid of the hight temp and no need for rap and other makeshift ideas.

Last edited by PoPo3; 09-08-2019 at 10:14 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:18 AM
Premium Member

So I had the heat issue on my 800 and dealt with it. Until I started to get the "HOT" light lamp on the display. This was occuring in a more consistent basis and cleaning the rad was having less and less of an effect. Fortunately I knew it was the radiator so I went and ordered up a SuperATV rad. Installed it and never had any heat issues again.

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
2020 Outlander® 1000R XXC (on order, ETA mid-Sept)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
So I had the heat issue on my 800 and dealt with it. Until I started to get the "HOT" light lamp on the display. This was occuring in a more consistent basis and cleaning the rad was having less and less of an effect. Fortunately I knew it was the radiator so I went and ordered up a SuperATV rad. Installed it and never had any heat issues again.
Hmm, ok you guys got my attention now. I'm always open to learning new ways to solve a problem. I never had any problems with the engine overheating it was always just the exhaust heat blowing on your leg when the fan was running that was a problem. So you guys are saying if I just cool the engine better with more fan, better radiator etc. that it will stop or significantly reduce the exhaust heat on your right leg blowing out the opening in the side plastic?
If that's the case I might have to rethink my approach to the issue.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:56 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Quote:
Hmm, ok you guys got my attention now. I'm always open to learning new ways to solve a problem. I never had any problems with the engine overheating it was always just the exhaust heat blowing on your leg when the fan was running that was a problem. So you guys are saying if I just cool the engine better with more fan, better radiator etc. that it will stop or significantly reduce the exhaust heat on your right leg blowing out the opening in the side plastic?
If that's the case I might have to rethink my approach to the issue.

For those riding CA the problem was not that they were overheating; instead, CA needed the engine to run at 195 to pass US emissions. Contrary to what the racers felt the hotter engines also performed better.
Most CA riders were also MUDDERS so their rads did not perform like a new one and there is NO bringing them back. You can hose the rad clean but you will never get that mud film off that acts as installation. The rads in mot cases were working but not as good as they should. I went to a temp controller with a probe and brought the water temp down to 140 as opposed to 195. As I recall CA had the fan come on at 195 and turned off at 180. The engine ran cooler and this helped bring the exhaust temp down some. But the big difference was the water temp that was blowing across your leg was far less. The 140 water temp along with the cool ambiance air temp did the trick.
The interesting part was those ridding in the southern states where the air temps were nearing 100 they wanted to ride wearing shorts which placed the high exhaust temp on there bare leg.
The controller that we used came from most auto part stores. The controllers were being used by the off-road jeepers for the same reason.
CA had an even worst problem. The hight temps were melting the plastic and seats.
After the temp change, I did a lot of performance testing of my bike. I found that the cooler engine delivers more power as opposed to less.
When I first got my 15 850 SP I checked the fan on and off temp. This was easy with the PoPo because the dash has an engine temp readout. I on longer remember the temp but it is far below 190. More like 165 or less for the high side.

Last edited by PoPo3; 09-09-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode