Polaris ATV Forum banner

Off idle dies and no acceration, or power

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  awesome1 
#1 ·
the Sportsman 500 2000, came in with a no running problem, found stator no production of voltage, took cover off and hand start mechanism had fallen apart and was shrouded and broken the plastic and metal in 100 pieces and tore up the stator assembly. I replaced it with a new assembly also it had been sitting for a long time so I cleaned the carburetor and gas tank and the fuel pump was corroded so I replaced the fuel pump too. It started really good and ran pretty good. But in the mean time I rode it and I came to a stop sign and it backed fired and from then on it has not run worth a dam. I rechecked just about every component and I even replace coil, cdi box, and regulator and still the same problem and I overhauled the carburetor and re calibrated with different size of jet.s It idles fair and when you accelerate it dies, acts like you ran out of gas. And dies also when you de-acelrate to idle at times. If anyone has an IDEA I would really appreciate the Help because this is driving me crazy!

#4 ·
Check the timing - if the flywheel was not tightened correctly or if a wrong flywheel key was used, the key may have sheared throwing the timing off or if there was undiscovered debris in the flywheel it may have dislodged and damaged the new stator - also the rec/reg has nothing to do with spark - it only for charging the battery. I hope you didn't throw out the old one, it's probably still good. Your model 500 does not use the battery to power the ignition. To eliminate a faulty kill switch or a shorted kill wire, disconnect the black wire at the CDI unit and see how it runs - still crappy it's an ignition problem runs good with the black wire disconnected, check the kill circuit components - rev limiter, key switch, handlebar switch and throttle safety switch - also, you will have to plug the black wire in to be able to kill the engine

#5 ·
I did the black wire thing and it still run the same, I checked the flywheel 3 times, timing marks ok, and took the cam off and it did not look worn, It just don't accelerate let go of throttle dies most of the time, sometimes it recovers, Also overhauled carburetor and redid it 5-8 times still no difference. Someone mention something about a brown wire that was eliminated and it ran good. But there are a bunch of brown wires and they all go to ground. Anything else I can try. You mention Rev limiter where is that located because of the lack of acceleration that be a point of interest.

#6 ·
Brown is ground, black is kill, red is battery, red/black is switched battery positive from the key switch to the handlebar switch and red/white is battery positive from the handlebar switch to everything else. No magic brown wire. When all other possibilities have been eliminated, replace the stator and it will probably be fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.