K+n filter??? - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Question K+n filter???

What is the best bang for a guys dollar when it comes to airfilters have a 02 400 scrambler with a k+n but keep hearing these let in too much dirt or is it possible they r just not installed properly. Any info or suggestions muchly appreciated.

02 400 scrambler
piped and silencer
k+n filter
beartracks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

There is always going to be a lot of debate about this, but yes, in my opinion K&N lets in too much dirt, even when properly installed for me to trust or ever use them. I personally kind of like the way Unifilter has been going with their design and build quality, but thats just me.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

K&N's need to be oil coated by design. They are superior filters. I used K&N for years on my Honda ATC 250R. Much better air flow over paper filters. Added horsepower. But if someone happens to not read the directions and fails to oil the filter, it will let in much more dirt because they are more porous - needing the oil to catch dirt. They should only be used on hi rev race bikes and two stokes to benefit from the design. Because they require oiling, they require more cleaning and re-oiling to sustain the high air flow. So the maintenace cycle is much shorter than a paper filter to sustain the higher air flow required by race applications. For putting around on an ATV four stroke - they are not worth the trouble. But if you have a screaming-azz two stroke, you will like them.

My neighbor called the cops because I was playing Radar Love too loud.... they arrested him.

Last edited by Stealthepooty; 11-14-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline15 View Post
There is always going to be a lot of debate about this, but yes, in my opinion K&N lets in too much dirt, even when properly installed for me to trust or ever use them. I personally kind of like the way Unifilter has been going with their design and build quality, but thats just me.
Looking at Uni's web site - I don't see any XPs listed. Are they just not up to date?

2015 Sportsman 850 in Sage Green
3500 lb. Polaris HD Winch
QSC Clutch Kit (from Ryan @ RVS Performance)
Odyssey PC925L-P Power Sports Battery
VIPair Windshield w/mirrors
HD ATV Gear Billet Pinion Cover
EPI HD Springs, Front & Rear
Cecco Frame Braces
27X9 and 27X11-14 STI Rocktane XD Rubber
Guru Bumpers, Front & Rear
Lock 'n Ride Front & Rear Boxes
Rhino Monster, Rear Box
Camoplast Tatou 4s Track System
Heated Grips and Throttle Control
Lowrance BAJA 540 GPS
SuperATV EZSteer 380
Various Mods for Ice-Fishing
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:12 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Get the outerwear cover for that K & N if they make one for your quad... you'll be fine. However, a Twin Air, UNI, or No-Toil will protect even better. None of these filters really provide much of a performance enhancement in a small ATV engine... unless you've had a LOT of other performance mods.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:35 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I decided to try the UNI this time on my 700.
I have been using K&N for years in my Jeeps without problems, but I too have been reading of the problems so I decided to try the UNI this time around.

CW

Mine

2015 RZR 900 Trail BLK. Pearl

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride 1/2 windshield
Lock N Ride rear box
Rear Bars, Dash Bar & Rear extension bars.
LED lights front, top & rear
LOTS more coming...

2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI SOLD

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthepooty View Post
K&N's need to be oil coated by design. They are superior filters. I used K&N for years on my Honda ATC 250R. Much better air flow over paper filters. Added horsepower. But if someone happens to not read the directions and fails to oil the filter, it will let in much more dirt because they are more porous - needing the oil to catch dirt. They should only be used on hi rev race bikes and two stokes to benefit from the design. Because they require oiling, they require more cleaning and re-oiling to sustain the high air flow. So the maintenace cycle is much shorter than a paper filter to sustain the higher air flow required by race applications. For putting around on an ATV four stroke - they are not worth the trouble. But if you have a screaming-azz two stroke, you will like them.
I've always used K&N but I service the crap out of it REALLY often..............like mentioned above normally a person will only notice improvement over the paper filter style filters is with a high rev machine or a 2-stroke. Otherwise to feel anything the machine has to be improved. So to answer you , K&N filters are not cheap but do work IF they are used properly so if you don't plan on good improvements to your machine the Uni or the like is the way to go. My 2 cents!

2006 camo brute force 650i modded SOLD!
2012 AC TRV 1000cc
2010 bearccat non turbo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Performance Modifications

Tags
keep out the dirt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode